1. Cut Free(7mill, June 1st), Spears(1.5mill, June 1st), Connor(3mill, June 1st), Vickers(1mill)........I would consider cutting Ratliff but only if its a 3+million savings and only after the draft if we go DT in round 1.
Thats say 12 million
Extend Romos contract
Thats about 8 million
Rework the deals of Ware, Witten, Carr, Austin
Thats about 12 million
Cap is expected to be around 121 million, we were expected to be at about 143 million, 22 million over. When all is said and done we should have around 10 million to spend with. I know, you only screw yourself for the future, but with this team the future is now.
The only 2 players I resign are:
1. L.P. Ladouceur 2013 salary 1mill: we need a long snapper or do we take a chance with a rookie?????
2. Ernie Sims 2013 salary 1 mill: played very well for us and can play all 3 linebacker spots and battle to start at the strong side olb spot.
Free agent signings: We will have enough money to go big on at least one big free agent contract, and must do so to protect Romo. I see no reason to waste more money on aging lineman, and no reason to waste money on backup garbage as we did last season.
1. Andy Levitre 2013 salary 4mill: Will come in and start immediatly from day one. A top 3 guard, Spiller averaged an insane 9 yards per carry, and Jackson averaged 8.2. Just as good a pass protector, you could pencil him in at either guard spot and/or slide Livings if needed. This one would be a huge step in the right direction to fixing the oline and helping others along it.
2. Jerome Felton 2013 salary 2mill: This one also helps the offensive line. Sign the best FB out there to help run the ball.
So you will have around 4 million left over for the rookies.
The team prior to the draft
2 QB Romo, Orton
2 RB Murray, Dunbar
1 FB Felton
4 WR Bryant, Austin, Harris, Beasley
2 TE Witten, Hanna
2 T Smith, Parnell
3 G Levitre, Livings, Bernadeau
3 C Costa, Kowalski, Cook
2 DE Ware, Crawford
4 DT Ratliff, Lissemore, Hatcher, Price(Brian)
4 OLB Carter, Albright, Sims, Wilber
2 MLB Lee, Lemon
3 CB Carr, CLaiborne, Scandrick
2 FS Sensabaugh, Johnson
2 SS Church, McCray
1 K Bailey
1 P Jones
1 LS Ladouceur
Thats 41 spots locked after free agency far as I am concerned. Some might say wait a minute with a guy like Price, Lemon or Johnson but I strongly think all 3 make it. Only 2 small resignings, Ladouceur and Sims. 2 Big time free agent signings that we can afford to make. 12 roster spots is a lot of opennings but there are a lot of borderline guys and it never hurts a team to get some young thirsty players out there.
Onto the draft
A lot of people have their own opinion on who we will take this year in the draft. The truth is we are converting from the 3-4 to the 4-3 which means we most likely will be drafting the best available defensive lineman. Like it or not that is the way Jerry/the organization runs things.
There is no such thing as best available player with the Cowboys. There is however best available at a position of need. That is why we passed on JJ Watt 2 years ago. Watt was rated higher than Tyron Smith on the Cowboys draft board but because of the need factor we took Smith.
Lucky for us this season the draft is very deep in the mid-late 1st round with talented defensive lineman and someone most likely will fall to us. Here is a list of possible players who might be there at 18.
Sheldon Richardson, Sharrif Floyd, Johnathan Hankins, Kawann Short, Sylvester Williams, Ziggy Ansah, Alex Okafor
I am pretty sure one of the first 3 will be there at 18.
Here is my mock draft
1. Sheldon Richardson(if not him, the next best DT who is a good pass rusher. there are like 3-4 in the mid to late first round range but hopefully this stud slides to us)
2. Menelik Watson RT(some here might say reach, this guy is a smart, well built rock who could also move. He looks like a beast too. Steal of the draft who will start at RT or RG depending on Parnell)
3. Montee Ball RB(A steal who just might take over for the often injured Murray. Not sure he falls this far but if he does look out. Originally had Goodman going here but if not Ball slot my guy Goodman here and go rb in the 4th.....maybe the guy from Pitt or Rutgers)
4. Malliciah Goodman DE(another smart, technical lineman. We are getting stronger up front. Can rush, stop the run, huge hands, long arms)
5. Quanterus Smith DE(a great pass rusher coming of a major knee injury. would have been a late 1st early 2nd round pick if not for the injury. Played his best against good competition)
6. Keith Pough OLB(we will take an outside LB at some point)
Free agent rookies
Michael Williams TE(huge blocking TE from Bama)
Kejuan Riley FS(turnover machine from a small school)
My final 4 players to make the roster are: Danny Coale, Sterling Moore, Ronald Leary, and Phillip Tanner
Here is my final 53
QB 2. Romo, Orton
HB 3. Murray, Ball, Tanner, Dunbar
FB 1. Felton
WR 5. Bryant, Austin, Harris, Beasley, Coale
TE 3. Witten, Hanna, Williams
T 3. Smith, Watson, Parnell
G 4. Levitre, Livings, Bernadeau, Leary
C 3. Costa, Cook, Kowalski
DE 4. Ware, Goodman, Crawford, Smith
DT 5. Richardson, Ratliff, Lissemore, Hatcher, Price
OLB 4. Carter, Sims, Wilber, Pough
MLB 3. Lee, Albright, Lemon
CB 4. Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Moore
FS 3. Sensabaugh, Johnson, Riley
SS 2. Church, McCray
K 1. Bailey
P 1. Jones
LS 1. Ladouceur