Originally Posted by marsbennett
The downside is we missed the number 1 overall pick in the draft because we had drafted Walsh in the Supplemental draft. One of Jimmah's few mistakes....along with the Stan Smagala trade those first couple of years of 'Turning the Thing Around.'
I don't really think the Walsh trade was a mistake since Jimmy then parlayed Walsh into additional picks and the 1990 draft wasn't really that strong. We ended up getting the best player by far and the top of the first round wasn't that strong:
1. George- we already had our franchise QB, and we definately got the better one!
2. Blair Thomas- Thank god we didn't end up with him. Even with the power of hindsight, Emmit was the better prospect coming out of college.
3. Cortez Kennedy- Good player who we could've used, but not worth the top overall pick.
4. Keith McCants- A total bust.
5. Junior Seau- Obviously great, but do you think Jimmy would've picked him first overall?
I think Jimmy Johnson would've probably traded down, even if we did have the first overall pick. So we may well have ended up with Emmitt anyways (or James Francis!)