Some will say this is way too premature. I say that's just silly. I'm a draftnik, you can't make me not think about the Draft at any time of the year.
First of all let's talk Free Agency for 2012
Here are our UFAs.
- Victor Butler, OLB (Would they consider him a starter next year and bring him back?)
- Kenyon Coleman, DE (doubt he makes this team)
- Rudy Carpenter, QB (doubt he makes this team)
- Derrick Dockery, OG (50/50 he makes this team)
- Mike Jenkins, CB (we all figure he is gone)
- Felix Jones, RB (I figure he is gone)
- L.P. Ladouceur, LS (May lost out to Huglett this year)
- Daniel Loper (doubt he makes this team)
- Stephen McGee, QB (Hope he doesn't make this team.)
- Kevin Ogletree, WR (playing for a new contract)
- John Phillips, TE (50/50 they let him go after this year)
- Anthony Spencer, OLB (We already know he is not getting a long term deal at this point.)
- C.J. Wilson, CB (doubt he makes this team)
That's 9 players who might make this team in 2012. Of those 9 you can pretty much bet 7 of the players will not be back in 2013.
Here are the RFAs.
- Teddy Williams, CB (gone)
- Javarris Williams, RB (longshot for PS)
- Mana Silva (gone)
- Akwasi Owusu Ansah, DB (gone)
- Danny McCray, S (could stick)
- Orie Lemon, ILB (Could stick)
- Clifton Geathers, DE (50/50 he makes this team)
- Phil Costa, C (Makes 2012 team, would they bring him back?)
- Barry Church, S (Made the team and will get a new deal.)
- Rob Calloway, NT (50/50 between he and Brent for the backup NT role)
- Mario Butler, CB (made the team IMO, could be brought back)
- Baraka Atkins, OLB (gone)
That makes 7 of this list who might make this team. I think at best 3 of them will be brought back in 2013.
That means barring injuries or retirements, we will shuffle about 12 new faces into the deck in 2013.
Because of this I put the 2013 draft needs as follows.
If Doug Free continues to struggle in any way I will move RT way up my list.
It is my belief that we would probably target OLB in the first round over OL. I expect the Longhorns crowd to start thinking Alex Okafor, and I honestly do not mind this idea if Spencer is not wrapped up and Butler leaves as well. I kind of hope Adrian Hamilton is a diamond in the rough, but I don't mind finding a bookend in the draft either. My early pet cat is Brandon Jenkins of Florida State.
This will not deter me in any way from pimping Barrett Jones of Alabama as our answer in 2013's Draft.
I think it is a weak RB class, so I wouldn't look before round 4, and I would try to find a guy who can be a KR/PR too. Perhaps a Geovani Bernard from UNC.
WR may not be an issue we focus on if Ogletree or the young guns (Beasley, Coale, Harris, and Holmes) come through.
OL is. I would prefer we take Ol with 2 of our first 3 picks and think if we don't it better mean Livings and Bernadeau were all everything for us in 2012.
Would Dallas look for a QB for the future so soon after acquiring Orton as insurance? I think that depends but I can see us drafting one around the 4th to groom as McGee tried to. My early pet there might be Casey Pachall of TCU. We shall see.
Rip it apart. Add your 2 cents. Let's see what we all think.