List your musts, needs, and wants
I love to think of needs like the above.
1. Tackle (assuming Free is gone)
2. Interior OL
This assumes we can find that must from inside the organization or outside via trade, draft, FA, or UDFA. I don't expect more than 1 or 2 FAs although 3 is possible I guess. I suspect the rest will come via the draft and UDFAs.
Some will not agree with 4. We can get by with Sensi and Church but we must start to get some TOs. The only way that is going to happen is with a ballhawking S unless a CB morphs into one. Perhaps Mo. And more pressure.
I expect us to retain Spencer which may require restructuring some contracts.
Free might be retained although I suspect he will have to restructure his contract which I find problematic. I personally don't trust him. I don't Parnell much but more after the last couple of games which should be a problem for most. Not enough game film. That's why I expect us to find a vet OT right or left side. From somewhere or anywhere. A rookie is ok if you can find one.
This will overlap with musts depending on resigning players and FA. FAs, perhaps a rare trade, and resigns will dictate the draft. The more we do before the draft the more flexibility we will have.
1. OL. We need one or two starters here and I'd love some competition esp at C and G. We should shore up T before the draft if possible o/w T become the priority there.
2. DB. If we lose Jenkins we need another starting quality CB IMO. I don't care if its on the corner or the slot. Scandrick doesn't send a thrill up my leg. If they are comfortable with Sensi and Church (which I ain't) then they need to find a suitable backup at the least. That's two DBs IMO.
3. Passrusher. Maybe this should be a must but I'm ok right now with Ware, Butler, and Spencer but just barely OK. We need another and that can come in the form of a NT that can collapse the pocket, another OLB better than Butler (who's pretty good at rushing the passer IMO just not o/w), a Hatcher clone or better preferably, or enough S to cover for the ILBs and other DBs to rush the passer enough to matter (and do it efficiently). Here's a draft special IMO. Too expensive to buy this on the open market.
4. Another TE. Witten is never hurt much but he is mortal (I think. Although I suspect he may be an alien.) And Phillips has never been more than a marginal to adequate backup. Hanna should replace him so I'd get another athletic TE. We can always find a road grader TE if necessary.
1. Third down RB. I'd love to have some small, quick, fast, great in open space RB with missem.
2. Slot WR. Same characteristics although doesn't have to be small. Or a Harvin type is fine.
3. Speed WR. Serious speed. A blazer. Catch the ball often enough to force major league cushion and some double teams. Spread the field and open it up for others.
4. Another Sean Lee type on D. Someone around the ball who comes up with turnovers. I don't care where they play. FF, INTs, strips, in the right place at the right time.
5. A faster Harris who can make us think Devin Hester in his prime. Or Deion on PRs. You get the picture.
6. Developmental QB. Romo can't play forever.
7. A FB who can crush but stay on his feet when he catches the ball out of the backfield. Is that too much to ask for.
8. Health, wealth, and.....well more health.
Did you know there are only 5000 Snow Leopards in the wild now and they are confined to Central Asia? However, the effective global population (those likely to reproduce) is less than half that number.