WAR ROOM: 2005 Mock Draft
SportingNews WAR ROOM Mock Draft
* - underclassman
MOCK DRAFT: ROUND 1
PICK/ TEAM/ PLAYER/ POS/ SCHOOL
(1) 49ers Aaron Rodgers* QB Cal.
The 49ers must rebuild, and Rodgers would be the right way to start if he enters the '05 draft. Rodgers, a junior, has made excellent progress in his development, and most NFL scouts say he is ready to make the move.
(2) Dolphins Cedric Benson RB Texas
Benson, as good as they come, is a physical, hard-running back who could make Miami fans forget about Ricky Williams.
(3) Browns Derrick Johnson OLB Texas
Johnson, an all-around solid linebacker, is a Ray Lewis-type of defender and seems to be near the ball on every play.
(4) Cardinals Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee
Burnett has explosive speed and tremendous tackling skills.
(5) Raiders Carnell Williams RB Auburn
Williams, a solid workhorse, runs with a chip on his shoulder and can make plays out of nothing with his size, speed and nonstop motor.
(6) Titans Matt Leinart* QB USC
Tennessee might need a QB if Steve McNair retires. Leinart, a junior, could be something special if he enters the '05 draft.
(7) Redskins David Pollack DE Georgia
Every defensive coordinator dreams of an end like him. Pollack's frame, speed, and relentless pursuit should make him a dominant NFL player.
(8) Chargers Antrel Rolle CB Miami (FL)
(from NY Giants) Rolle has the speed, frame and shutdown ability to be a big-time NFL corner.
(9) Bears Mike Williams* WR USC
The Bears need a go-to receiver; Williams has size and is an outstanding playmaker.
(10) Cowboys Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
Dallas needs a shutdown corner. Jackson's speed and physical style of play will immediately upgrade its defense.
(11) Saints Shaun Cody DT USC
A poor defensive team against both the run and pass will be immediately upgraded with Cody's size, speed, and toughness.
(12) Texans Alex Barron T Florida St.
Barron would protect QB David Carr, who has taken a beating this season.
(13) Chiefs Jamaal Brimmer S UNLV
Brimmer is a tough, hard-hitting, big-playmaking safety who will make an immediate impact in the Chiefs' secondary.
(14) Lions Elton Brown G Va.
Brown is a dominant force on the offensive line and will be a reward for Kevin Jones in his second season.
(15) Buccaneers Jammal Brown T Oklahoma
Brown is huge with outstanding blocking skills. He'll be an immediate upgrade to a struggling offensive line.
(16) Bengals Dan Cody DE Oklahoma
Cody has the size, speed, and toughness Marvin Lewis will be looking for.
(17) Rams Antonio Perkins CB Oklahoma
Perkins is an experienced shutdown corner with outstanding speed and skills.
(18) Panthers Corey Webster CB LSU
Webster is the tough, athletic, hard-hitting corner the Panthers need.
(19) Vikings Barrett Ruud ILB Nebraska
Ruud is the big, fast, hard-hitting defender the Vikings need.
(20) Seahawks Marcus Spears DE LSU
Spears will add speed and power up front for a defense that lacks physical play.
(21) Jaguars Matt Roth DE Iowa
Roth has the size, skills, and playmaking ability to make an immediate impact.
(22) Cowboys Vince Carter C Oklahoma
(from Buffalo) Carter will be a force on the front line with his size and blocking ability.
(23) Broncos Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
Brown is the type of big, nonstop runner Mike Shanahan loves to have in his backfield.
(24) Ravens Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
Edwards is a big playmaker with size, speed, and athleticism.
(25) Packers Antwaun Rogers CB Purdue
Rodgers is a big playmaking corner with experience who'll give the Packers the weapon they have been missing since they lost Mike McKenzie.
(26) Jets Donte Nicholson S Oklahoma
Nicholson is a punishing hitter who excels both in run support and coverage.
(27) Falcons Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
Clayton would give Michael Vick another big target opposite Peerless Price.
(28) Chargers Adam Terry T Syracuse
Terry has the wingspan to ride off rushers and the blocking skills to open holes for LT.
(29) Colts Jonathan Babineaux DT Iowa
Babineaux, who has excellent pass-rush skills and speed, is the big stopper the Colts' defense needs.
(30) Eagles Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wis.
Hawthorne, who has the strength and size to be a run stopper, can be an unblockable force.
(31) Steelers D'Brickashaw Ferguson* T Va.
Ferguson, a junior, could make an immediate impact if he enters the draft. He is an exceptional athlete with an enormous wingspan and the frame to add bulk.
(32) Patriots Dustin Fox S Ohio St.
Fox is an aggressive, open-field tackler who can play both corner and safety -- a perfect fit for the Patriots.
PROUD FAN OF THE DALLAS COWBOYS SINCE BIRTH
WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR - YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE