Pop Quiz: Tatum Bell
By Dave Richard
Think the prospects heading for the NFL are done taking their exams? Think again! NFL.com has put together this standardized "quiz" for the draftees entering the 2004 NFL Draft. True, it's not the Wonderlic exam, but feel free to use this to see if players you're watching "make the grade."
Full name and position: Tatum Antoine Bell, running back
Date and location of birth: March 2, 1981; Parkland Hospital, Dallas, Texas.
College and major: Oklahoma State, sociology
1. What is the one thing you will miss the most about college?
Bell: The atmosphere and being on your own. It's not like being at home with your mother. You're off on your own and have to grow up.
2. What pregame meal do you recommend to teammates?
Bell: We usually ate on Fridays and we had steak together.
3. Who is the toughest player you faced in college?
4. What other position do you wish you could play?
Bell: Sometimes I wish I could be the kicker. I like having pressure on me and coming up big in the clutch, and that's all a kicker does. Plus, they sit on the sidelines for most of the game.
5. Which Super Bowl do you consider to be the best ever?
Bell: Super Bowl XXVIII, when Dallas beat Buffalo. That's when Leon Lett returned that turnover but had it knocked out of his hands at the end zone.
6. What's the best asset you can bring to a team?
Bell: Character. I'm not one of those kids you'll be seeing in the news every week. I'm also humble, and I think they'll get a quality back if they draft me.
Tatum Bell happens to be a huge video game fanatic.
7. What is your favorite thing to do in your spare time?
Bell: Play video games.
8. Finish this sentence: The first thing I will buy after signing an NFL contract will be ...
Bell: Pay my tides in offering to the church.
9. Name the most important thing you learned in college.
10. True or false: Timing in the 40-yard dash is overrated.
11. Do you have any superstitions?
Bell: Yes. Before a game, I have to walk and talk and eat and do everything a certain way. (laughs)
12. Let's say you got to host NFL Total Access for one day. Who would your guests be?
Bell: Shoot, I'd have Michael Jordan, Shaq, I'd have to have Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and my man now, Clinton Portis.
13. Finish this sentence: My favorite video game is ...
Bell: I like Madden, Vice City and NBA Live.
14. Name a question that you think would stump a fellow 2004 draft prospect.
Bell: "What motivates you to play football?" That's a question asked of me a lot.
15. From Bernard Berrian's Pop Quiz: What team do you think you're going to play for?"
Bell: (laughs) I really can't say. I don't have any preference, really.
16. What three words best describe you?
Bell: Humble, talented and Christian.
All sounds good except for the Portis part. :p
"Some people create with words, or with music, or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, "I've never seen anyone run like that before." It's more then just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better then anyone else. It's being creative." -Steve Prefontaine