1. San Francisco 49'ers - QB Aaron Rodgers (California)...The Niners are in a difficult position because they need more than just one prospect ...but ...the trade value for this pick isn't there this year...Head Coach Mike Nolan has stated that he will take a QB somewhere early in the Draft and in 6 of the last 7 years a QB was taken first overall...make it 7 out of 8 as the Niners select Aaron Rodgers of Cal.
2. Miami Dolphins - QB Alex Smith (Utah)... After viewing his private workout and sitting down with Smith to break down film the Dolphins arrived at the decision that Smith is their man IF he doesn't go to the Niners at the first pick...Dolphins Coach Nick Saban has done a terrific job creating a smoke screen up to now.
3. Cleveland Browns - OLB/DE Shawne Merriman (Maryland)...The Browns upgraded their Offensive Line in Free Agency and acquired QB Trent Dilfer to lead the team and tutor young QB Luke McCown...so now it's time for New Head Coach Romeo Crennel to land the one player that he feels will make an instant impact on the team...Crennel's Defensive Schemes always revolve around the Linebacker position and the Browns need to upgrade at that position and add a player that can rush the passer as well...Merriman fits that description and can play with his hand down in a 4-3 or kick out to OLB in a 3-4 Scheme...Merriman is flying up the teams Draft boards and is now considered the number one Defensive Prospect in this Draft.
4. Chicago Bears - WR Braylon Edwards (Michigan)......New Bears Offensive Coordinator Ron Turner has stated that he wants to make running the football a priority in the Windy City and has Thomas Jones and Adrian Peterson at his disposal...the Bears signed FA WR Muhsin Muhammed to a long term contract...but ...Muhammed is getting up there in age and the chance to add another play-maker to the Bears Receiving core is too tough to pass on here.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - HB Ronnie Brown (Auburn)...The Bucs fill their greatest need with this pick, but have a tough decision in which back to choose...the team goes with Brown of Auburn since he's the most complete back in this Draft.
6. Tennessee Titans - WR Mike Williams (USC)...The Titans had a Salary cap mess that they cleaned up and had to part with several starters to get under the Cap...Drafting at this spot requires paying a hefty signing bonus (16.5 Million last year) and big contract (6 years - 40 million last year) that the Titans really don't need at this time...so the team may try to deal down and out of this pick...but...if they stay at #6 look for them to target one of the Top Prospects on the Offensive side of the ball since New Offensive Coordinator Norm Chow is pushing for his former pupil Mike Williams.
7. Minnesota Vikings - LB Derrick Johnson (Texas)...The Vikings are in position to land of the the Drafts top Defensive Prospects at this pick and are happy that DJ has fell to9 them at this pick...the team has improved it's Defense through Free Agency and may have added the last piece of the puzzle with this pick.
8. Arizona Cardinals - CB Antrel Rolle (Miami-Florida)...The Cardinals surprise some of the the experts with this pick because the Card's greatest need is at the Halfback position...but...the Cardinals traded CB Duane Starks to the Patriots and have a HUGE need to fill at the Corner position...Denny Green knows that this Draft is full of HB's plus he has plenty of other options like acquiring a back like a Edgerrin James or a Travis Henry via trade...Denny knows that Elite Corners are a premium these days!
9. Washington Redskins - CB Carlos Rogers (Auburn)...The Redskins take Rogers to compensate for the loss of CB Fred Smoot to the Vikings...the Skins would have picked Rogers over Antrel Rolle who went to the Cards and Pac-Man Jones because Joe Gibbs feels that he's the safest pick of the three although all three are equally rated on their board...Gibbs stated that he has learned his lesson about drafting players with character issues after last years first round pick Sean Taylor had an off the field incident after he became a Washington Redskin....Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams covets Corners with size for his Defense and Rogers has just that.
10. Kansas City Chiefs TRADE from Detroit - CB Adam Pac-Man Jones (West Virginia)...The Lions are willing to trade down in this Draft since they feel that the player they are targeting will still be on the board while the Chiefs are desperate to land one of this Drafts top three Corners and the the top two are already off the board...the Chiefs deal their own first round pick #15 and their third round pick in this years Draft to the Lions for the move....the run on the Top Corners is complete.
11. Dallas Cowboys - DE Marcus Spears (LSU).....The Cowboys have two first round picks and want to land DEsome O-Line help and add another LB'er and CB in the process....the team may also trade down and out of this pick to add extra Draft choices.
12. San Diego Chargers (from NY Giants) - WR Troy Williamson (So. Carolina)...The Chargers want to improve their Defensive front seven and land another Receiver in this Draft...the team goes with Williamson over Mark Clayton after several long Draft discussions.
13. Houston Texans - OT Alex Barron (Florida State)...The Texans need to upgrade their line and an OLT that can protect David Carr's blindside is their number one priority ...and since Barron is still available he's their pick.
14. Carolina Panthers - HB Cedric Benson (Texas)...The Panthers signed OG/OT Mike Wahle and CB Ken Lucas in Free Agency to fill a couple of needs and now go with a player they though would have been off the board.
15. Detroit Lions TRADE from Kansas City - DE Erasmus James (Wisconsin)...The Lion fill a need on the Defensive side of the ball with the selection of James who they feel is the top End in this Draft...the Lions acquired this pick from the Chiefs...see pick 10 for the complete trade details.
16. New Orleans Saints - S Thomas Davis (Georgia)...The Saints are a bit surprised that Davise is still on the board and waste little time in getting their pick in...the Saints feel they have really improved their secondary with this pick since the Safety spot has been a sore spot as of late.
17. Seattle Seahawks TRADE from Cincinnati - HB Carnell Williams (Auburn)...The Seahawks and Bengals hook up in a trade in which the teams switched first round picks...the Seahawks also send the Bengals their 3rd round pick in this Draft to move up 6 spots...the move enables the Seahawks to land Carnell Williams who will be Shaun Alexanders replacement in Seattle...Williams has slipt a bit in this Draft because of the early run on Corners...look for the Seahawks to complete a Draft Day trade involving HB Shaun Alexander.
18. Minnesota Vikings - WR Mark Clayton (Oklahoma)...The Vikings filled their need at the CB spot with the FA signing of CB Fred Smoot of the Redskins...they added LB'er Napoleon Harris in the Randy Moss trade and Derrick Johnson with their earlier pick... so it's time to add an offensive piece to the puzzle and tap Mark Clayton with this pick.
19. St. Louis Rams - OT Jammal Brown (Oklahoma)...The Rams filled their needs at the Linebacker position in Free Agency and are now able to strengthen their O-Line position with this pick...the team feels that Brown can step right in and fill the ORT spot that was manned by Kyle Turley who is reportedly going to be released after June 1st.
20. Philadelphia Eagles TRADE from Dallas DT Travis Johnson (Florida State)....The Cowboys have expressed the desire to move down in this Draft and have found a trading partner in the Eagles...the Eagles made this move since Johnson has slipped in this Draft and are able to move up without giving up the ranch in a trade...the Eagles send the Cowboys their second round pick #63 for moving up twelve places in this Draft.
21. Jacksonville Jaguars - CB Justin Miller (Clemson)...The Jaguars biggest need going into the Draft and Free Agency was at the DE position... but the team signed DE Reggie Hayward so the selection of Miller is essential since the team was forced to release two of their top three Corners Juran Bolden and Dewayne Washington due to the Salary Cap.
22. Baltimore Ravens - DE David Pollack (Georgia)...The Ravens filled their biggest need at the Receiver position in Free Agency and are now able to address a need on their D-Line with this pick....the team is looking for D-Linemen in this Draft since they are switching over to a 4-3 base Defense and DE Pollack is at the top of their board of DE's that are still available in this Draft.
23. Cincinnati Bengals TRADE from Seattle - OLB Daryl Blackstock (Virginia)...The Bengals acquired this pick by moving down and trading with the Seahawks...the Bengals signed DT Bryan Robinson in Free Agency to help the interior of their D-Line and now add a play-making LB'er that the team has been seeking since Takeo Spikes signed with the Bills in Free Agency....see pick #17 for the trade details.
24. Green Bay Packers - DE Justin Tuck (Notre Dame)...The Packers no longer need to find the heir apparent to Brett Favre in this Draft and will try to fill some of the teams needs on their Defensive front...the Packers fill one of them with the selection of Underclassman Justin Tuck of Notre Dame.
25. Denver Broncos - DE Matt Roth (Iowa)...The Broncos go with Roth since He's still on the board as they decide to upgrade their line by adding a player that can put some heat on opposing QB's....adding another Corner is also a priority for the team since they lost Kelly Herndon to the Seahawks in Free Agency....the team will also look at the possibility of trading down in the Draft.
26. New York Jets - TE Heath Miller (Virginia)...One of the Jets biggest needs is at the TE position and the Jets are ecstatic that Miller is still on the board at this pick.
27. Atlanta Falcons - OT Khalif Barnes (Washington)...The Falcons have needs at several positions including LB'er, O-Line, D-Line and in the Secondary ...but this pick is a no brainer for the team since Barnes is still on the board.
28. San Diego Chargers - DE/DT Shaun Cody (USC)...The Chargers used their earlier pick in this round on WR Williamson and are ecstatic that Cody is still on the board at this pick....Cody will play DE in the Chargers 3-4 Scheme.
29. Indianapolis Colts - LB Odell Thurman (Georgia)...The Colts need to concentrate on taking Defensive players for their entire Draft and start out by taking a player that they can pencil in at the MLB position from day one...the Colts need to improve their front seven and have been looking for a play-making Linebacker like Thurman for a while.
30. Pittsburgh Steelers - CB Fabian Washington (Nebraska)...The Steelers have several needs to fill with the Wr and CB position being at the top of their list along with some much needed depth for their Offensive Line...since Washington is still on the board the Steelers go with the speedy Corner from Nebraska....Note - The Steelers could either move up in this Draft to take one of the top O-Linemen or down and out of this pick.
31. Dallas Cowboys TRADE (from Philadelphia) LB Kevin Burnett (Tennessee)...The Cowboys acquired this pick and the Eagles second round pick number #63 for their move down in this Draft...Parcells likes Linebackers that have size and Burnett fills that bill and this pick fills a need as well.
32. New England Patriots - DE/OLB Demarcus Ware (Troy)....The Patriots filled a one of their needs in their Defensive backfield with the acquisition of CB Duane Starks...their Linebackers are aging and Teddy Bruschi's career is in doubt, so they feel Ware will be a good fit as a rush Linebacker in their 3-4 Defensive Scheme.
They just don't make them like Roger anymore.