• Cornerback Terence Newman said afterward he felt fine, but he did not do much on the practice field Tuesday. Aaron Glenn and Jacques Reeves split most of Newman's duties.
• Jamaica Rector had the catch of the day, one-handing a Tony Romo throw in the end zone and tapping his feet down before going out of bounds. Rector had a nice comeback day after appearing to hit a wall late last week.
• Terrell Owens didn't practice, but he ran some routes at half speed or less after the workout while working with Sam Hurd and quarterback Matt Baker. It was the first time Owens has done some light jogging since straining his hamstring.
• Marco Rivera is in his 11th season and is generally pretty calm on the practice field, but something defensive end Jay Ratliff did Tuesday must have upset him. Rivera and Ratliff exchanged haymakers during team drills for a spell before being separated by teammates.
• At one point cornerback Jacques Reeves was beat on three straight plays. Terrance Copper and Jamaica Rector beat him on out routes and Skyler Green got him on a curl. After the Rector catch, an exasperated Mike Zimmer lit into Reeves.
• Rookie cornerback Quincy Butler had the defensive play of the day, intercepting a Drew Henson pass in red-zone drills that would have been returned for a touchdown. After the interception Parcells sent the third-team offense on a sprint to the far fence.
• Matt Baker’s first snap in team drills with the Cowboys ended with Lenny Williams intercepting a slant pass intended for Miles Austin.
• Chuck Fairbanks, a Parcells friend from way back, spent time with safety Roy Williams after practice to work on Williams’ backpedal. Having friends like Fairbanks and former Green Bay general manager Ron Wolf on hand gives the Cowboys an extra set of eyes on players.
• Rookie defensive end Jason Hatcher had a quality practice. He had a sack of Romo not too long after standing up guard Cory Procter at the line of scrimmage and stopping Julius Jones.
• The Cowboys worked out receiver Markee White from Texas State but chose not to sign him.
• Unofficially Cowboys quarterbacks Drew Bledsoe, Tony Romo, Drew Henson and Matt Baker were a combined 35-of-64 in Tuesday's practice.
• Sam Hurd ran with the first team for portions of Tuesday's practice instead of Patrick Crayton, but Crayton had a sharp workout, catching seven passes in team and seven-on-seven drills.
Posted by Todd Archer
at 7:49 PM (E-mail this entry)
| Comments (0)