Thoughts on NFL Week 16
Again, holiday season means I didnít get to view as many games as I usually do.
(Chargers vs. Titans)
- Chargers getting, er, revved up for the playoffs.
- As quick as Chris Johnsonís first step, there goes the Titans chances for the post-season bid.
- Tennesseeís slim-to-none chance went to none with Keith Bullock out of the line up.
- Itís okay if Phillips River steals Shawn Merrimanís nickname.
- Rivers is playing ďLights Out.Ē
- LT looks rested for the stretch run.
- The one time I should have played Darren Sproles in my fantasy league.
- With no playoffs on the line, the Titans will get Chris Johnson his 2,000 yards.
(Panthers vs. Giants)
- Stewart Little? I think NOT!
- Jonathan Stewart comes up big (206 yards rushing), Giants come up small.
- I guess the Giants forgot they were in the hunt for a playoff birth.
- So much for Carolina packing it in for the season.
- Matt Moore playing like a quarterback trying to win a starting job.
- MM good, indeed.
- Steve Smith of the Panthers, one tough hombre.
- Breaking an arm, breaking the Giants back.
- Will NY say cya to Osi?
- The Big Apple will say bon voyage to Bill Sheridan.
(Bucs vs. Saints)
- Who dat say they gonna be dem Saints? Everybody it seems.
- Cadillac running on more than fumes.
- Remember when Tampa was a team that couldnít return a KO or punt for a touchdown?
- I betcha New Orleans wish they would have returned to form.
- Drew Brees suddenly looks pedestrian.
- Owners luxury box at Superdome: $109,000 +
- Look on the face of Tom Benson after his female date told him his kicker missed a game-winning pooch: Priceless.
- Saints better go deep in the heart of the Bayou to find who stold their Louisiana mojo.
- Rakeem Morris deserves to return next season.
(Steelers vs. Ravens)
- Ravens TE gave Steelers a Heap of trouble.
- The Ravens mistakes gave them a heap of trouble.
- Rashad Mendenhall and Ray Rice will be trying to outdue each other throughout their careers, but I donít think fumbling is what they had in mind.
- Steelers claw their way back into contention. Sadly, it may not be enough.
(Pats vs. Jaguars)
- Terrific Tom was on target all day Sunday.
- Brady the surgeon, Jags defense, the patient.
- Randy Moss, not a lot of yards (45), but a lot of touchdowns (3).
- Wes Welker, not a lot of touchdowns (0), but a lot of catches (13) and yards (138).
- Overthrown David Garrard at it again.
- Pocket Hercules canít carry the Jags offense by himself.
- Lawrence Maroney another, cough, cough, fumble at the goal line.
(Eagles vs. Broncos)
- The normally sure handed Brandon Marshall drops his share.
- Temper, temper, Brandon Stokley.
- From 6-0 to out of the playoff race. Sigh.
- McNabb doesnít use his feet often, but when he does, he can cover some distance.
- Brian Dawkins just not enough to secure a Broncos win.
- In second consecutive week, a Pennsylvania wide receiver (Jeremy Maclin) does a top-tapping catch that ensures a victory.
- Somehow I donít think Macho Harris is going to be long covering kickoffs if he canít hang onto the ball.
- DeSean Jackson can score from short distances too.
- Brent Celek can score from long.
(Browns vs. Raiders)
- Frye comes up small against his old team.
- Another sterling ground game by Jerome Harrison (148 yards).
- Cleveland has found its work horse.
- Sebastian Janikowski : big leg, bigger gut.
- If the Raiders can just manage to beat the teams theyíre suppose to beat like the teams theyíre not suppose to beat, they could be vying for a playoff spot.
- No, Iím not drinking.
- Is Darren McFadden wasting away in Oakland?
(Packers vs. Seahawks)
- The digression of Matt Hasselbeck
- Packers not taking running game for Grant(ed) with the playoffs looming.
- Ahman Green, a journey back in time when he was scoring TDs at Lambeau Field.
- And a Lambeau Leap for good measure.
- This just in: The Packers have scored again.
(Jets vs. Colts)
- Jim Caldwell must have flunked history in high school.
- Or must be less than a perfectionist.
- With a perfect season on the line, you take that chance, Jim.
- Forever to be compared to Tom Brady, Peyton has a right to be upset not being able to chance the perfect season.
- Hope he can push out a Mona Lisa-like creation, because Curtis Painter aint even a good backup at this point.
- Jim Sorgi, where are you when Indy needs you?
- Donít be surprised if Caldwell suffers lingering disappointment from his decision to pull the starters.
- Thomas Jones is just one of those backs that gets it done week after week with little fanfare.
- I guess Coach Caldwell took your joke to heart, Rex.
- Itís hard for me to fathom but win and the Jets are in the playoffs.
(Falcons vs. Bills)
- At least, Roddy White understands the season isnít over even if youíre not going to the playoffs.
- T.O.: the Winter of My Discontent.
- I havenít heard too much out of him lately: on the field or at a press conference.
- Congratulations for reaching 1,000 catches, though.
- Donít think weíre going to hear him complaining about the team not recognizing this milestone like in Philadelphia.
- Atlanta understands how injuries can wreck a season.
(Texans vs. Dolphins)
- Somebody for got to tell the Dolphins they were in a fight for their playoff lives.
- Noon central time is not a late start, Miami.
- Jason Taylor giving his defense and ear full. He needed a megaphone.
- Jacoby Jones, a nice complement to Andre Johnson.
- Brian Cushing notches an interception on his way to possible defensive rookie of the year.
- Wouldnít you know. Ted Ginn Jr. who rarely catches long-bomb TD passes gets one which subsequently gets overruled by a penalty.
- Whatís that about bad luck?
- Dolphin got a few bad luck calls Sunday.
(Cowboys vs. Redskins)
- Was that Alan Greenspan in Snyderís luxury box?
- His team is anything but money.
- Home for the Holidays is more than an apt description of the Washington Redskins.
- A rushing average of 1 yard per carry? Yikes!
- The first time in the rivalry the Cowboys have limited the Skins without scoring a touchdown in the same season.
- Mr. Fix It has fixed the Cowboys defense.
- Can Jason Garrett continue to fix the offense?
- Can we retire the Marion Barber up the middle on 4th and 1 play, Jason?
- Felix Jones more into the rushing mix, a good thing as the playoffs approach.
- Remember when Dallas couldnít win games in December?
- Romo seems determined not to let Dallas lose.
- Jay Ratliff shows no mercy on former Auburn teammate Jason Campbell.
Other notes from games:
- I canít tell whether close victories are a good thing or bad thing for the Bengals.
- Congratulations on Cincinnati for winning the AFC North.
- Outside of a Bengals fan, who saw that one coming.
- The Chiefs have a runner in Jamaal Charles.
- Cedric the Entertainer starring at a Pro Bowl near you.
- A knee is as good as two feet in bounds, Brandon Gibson, Rams WR.
- Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin getting ready for the post season.
- Congratulations Kurt Warner on passing for 100 TDs for both the Rams and the Cardinals.
- Top Five ... 1.) Colts, 2.) Chargers, 3.) Eagles, 4.) Cowboys, 5.) Saints
- Bottom Five ... 28.) Seahawks, 29.) Chiefs, 30.) Lions, 31.) Redskins, 32.) Rams
- With the first pick in the draft, the Rams select Ö
All comments, clarifications, corrections, criticisms and additions are welcomed.
"Jason Garrett will have the Cowboys in the NFC Championship Game within three years." - Tyke1doe, August 19, 2011