How big is the drop off after Harrison Smith went in RD 1? There are some intriguing prospects left to consider. I will attempt to break them down and give my reasoning based on what I see Rob Ryan trying to achieve with Sensabaugh at SS and his blitzing schemes. Ideally we could have a guy who can play centerfield, play the box and can play man to man. Feel free to add your guy or sleeper pick, etc.
1. Markelle Martin, FS OKL St 6'1 210
- Best Cover safety in the draft is still on the board and may drop into the 4th round. What I like about Markelle is he is true ballhawking centerfielder who can come down and make the big hits in the box. He's an athletic guy and an academic honor student, has great size and speed. Negs: He had a pinched nerve in his knee, missed combine and worked out at his pro day last minute. He says he was 80% and ran a 4.55. If health is not a concern and the knee is ok, I take him in the 3rd ahead of NE. http://www.youtube.com/embed/to8Jsa13hxE
2. Brandon Taylor , FS LSU 5"11 200
- Another High character , smart guy who was the leader of the LSU defense, knows Morris Claiborne well. Great tackler and some natural cover ability as a former CB. Can play close to the line of scimmage which is intriguing under Rob Ryans plan to man and blitz. Is not the athlete Markell Martin is and does not have his instincts or range in centerfield but he's not bad. I like the idea that he can play centerfield and close to the line. http://www.youtube.com/embed/J9O7m5OhkqU
3.George Iloka , S Boise State 6'3 220 -
Great size and good speed for his size. Has no problem playing bump and run coverage off the line and can shut down TE's. Stays very low in backpedal for his height but has trouble with one on one with smaller WR's. Can play in the box and has very good instincts in zone packages but he's a little slow changing directions. The guy has enough athletisicm to Play FS but he's built for a SS. Interesting prospect. http://www.youtube.com/embed/vpDoLVHhZbg
4. AAron Henry , FS Wisconsin 6'0 210 -
Great athlete who converted to CB who is very comfortable playing the slot or centerfield. Good hips, fluid no wasted motion type of guy. He's not a big hitter in run support but is a sure tackler. Henry has a lot of range. He is new to the position and can make some mistakes but this guy can be a contributer. Had an ACL injury in 2008. "http://www.youtube.com/embed/yYNWTrmnmNI
5. Kelcie McCray - FS, Arkansas State 6'2 195
Long Lanky fluid defensive back who can cover one on one and play the box. Solid tackler and has a knack for the interception and return. He's a student of the game, can be coached up to stop peeking into backfield to much and biting on qb fakes. Has the package to play one on one, center field and play the box. If he's there later maybe worth a flier. http://www.youtube.com/embed/_TZholHL9V4
Trumaine Johnson Montana - CB who has not never played safety or elite competition
Brandon Hardin - great size and speed but lacks the ability to cover in man.
Antonio Allen - More of a SS but looks like he can be a good one
Janzen Jackson- Like the measurables but off the field problems are a concern