1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

1/10/13 Mock (Dallas-2 Style)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by sureletsrace, Jan 10, 2013.

1. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,077 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Looks like we're transitioning back to the 4-3 defense. Whether you believe it or not, we're not that far from a fit in that scheme. We need a safety and another DT. That's it. Is it perfect? No. But it's not any worse than what we'd be facing had we stayed with the 3-4. With that being said, this is my proposal.

Baltimore calls us as Manti Te'o has fallen due to the annual run on QB's and Tackles in the early first round, as well as a bad showing in the National Championship, and the Giants are frothing at the mouth to take him at #19. Baltimore offers to take Te'o off our minds for the next 10 years and give us a few picks in return. Jason and Monte urge Jerry to accept the offer, as more picks will be crucial to fill team needs. Jerry pulls the trigger.

Pick 18 is valued at 900 points. The Ravens give us 25 (720), 87 (155) and 151 (30), netting us an extra 3rd and 5th with a 900-905 deal. This leaves us with-

25 (1), 47 (2), 80 (3), 87 (3), 111 (4), 144 (5), 151 (5), 175 (6)

Our draft is as follows:

25- Eric Reid, FS, LSU - Ball hawking hard hitter that we desperately need. Cowboys are apparently in love with him.

47- Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky - Best interior OL available. Garrett knows deep down our OL was abysmal, but he's not ready to blow it all up just yet. This is an insurance, just in case pick.

80- Cornelius (Tank) Carradine, DE, Florida - Hugely talented, coming off injury. Sound familiar?

87- Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern State - Non-stop motor and tons of work ethic. Could be Jay Ratliff part 2.

111- Khaled Holmes, C, USC - More interior OL. Competes with Costa and Kowalski for starting C spot.

144- Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State - Typical TE pick that happens every year.

151- Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M - Quick little battering ram, 5'11" 220. Excellent vision, will spell Murray.

175- Tyrann Mathieu, DB/S, LSU - Immense talent and enjoys the ganja. Cowboys give the kid a flier in the 6th.
  2. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not big on taking a safety that early when the position is deep but I love how you made up for it by addressing the lines. Solid draft
  3. sureletsrace

2,077 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Thanks, and I love your sig. I'm hoping that between Church, Johnson, Reid, and Mathieu, we'll find 2 above-average to great safeties. I know the S draft class is deep this year and strongly considered mocking 2 safeties, but we're "getting a free pick" in Johnson this year. I've heard ties to Reid, which is why I decided on him. I'd be perfectly fine with a Baccari Rambo or Kenny Vaccaro, which could be had later.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    25- Eric Reid, FS, LSU - Ball hawking hard hitter that we desperately need. Cowboys are apparently in love with him.
    I can live with this pick at #25, but not at #18. It "feels" a little early, but if they really like him better than the other safeties, then go for it.

47- Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky - Best interior OL available. Garrett knows deep down our OL was abysmal, but he's not ready to blow it all up just yet. This is an insurance, just in case pick.
    I think Warford will be a very good player and can start day-1.

80- Cornelius (Tank) Carradine, DE, Florida - Hugely talented, coming off injury. Sound familiar?
    Good pick. Probably an even better fit as a 4-3 DE over 3-4 OLB.

87- Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern State - Non-stop motor and tons of work ethic. Could be Jay Ratliff part 2.
    I like this player a lot from the little that I've been able to see of him; however, I don't know if he is quick enough if Kiffin gets hired.

111- Khaled Holmes, C, USC - More interior OL. Competes with Costa and Kowalski for starting C spot.
    Love this pick. This player is very underrated, IMO.

144- Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State - Typical TE pick that happens every year.
    Ok.

151- Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M - Quick little battering ram, 5'11"
    220. Excellent vision, will spell Murray.
    Decent player. I was hoping for a RB a little earlier. Someone like Stepfan Taylor.

175- Tyrann Mathieu, DB/S, LSU - Immense talent and enjoys the ganja. Cowboys give the kid a flier in the 6th.
    No. Garrett will not draft this guy.
  5. sureletsrace

2,077 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I always look forward to your replies. I'd love to see you put a mock together as if we're headed towards a 4-3.

And I agree, the Cowboys would probably never take Mathieu. I just love the price point of Mathieu in the 6th. Bang for buck could potentially be off-the-charts.
  6. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,266 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    Kenny Vacarro will be the first Safety drafted this year, ahead of Eric Reid.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Thanks. I've started reviewing 4-3 DTs and DEs. Also, somebody posted a good link about the 4-3 (under) that Kiffin uses. I've been reviewing some of the Kiffin related stuff to get a handle on his requirements.
  8. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I agree with the value but don't see anybody Baltimore would trade all that for. Unless you see Te'o sliding to 18.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    I am ok with the players you picked (liked some and others not so much).

What I like about the mock is how you broke down the trade and did so in a manner that shows that it is doable and not some crazy madden trade type situation I see so often where it seems we have so many picks in every round.

So I give you kudos for the breakdown and keeping the trade scenario (results) realistic.

Good Job.

To others out there that want to do mock drafts with trades involved...pay attention to how this guy did his.:cool:
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    I really like this draft.

As with any draft, I'd do a few things differently. But we could have 5-6 contributors out of that group.

I'd probably go after a lineman in the 1st if the right value was there.
    Great choices for O and Dlines.
    Also, I agree about someone like Stefan Taylor at RB...if he maybe fell to 111. RBs do fall sometimes.
    Not so sure about taking a TE.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Completely agree.

I also don't agree with the idea that there will be an early run on QBs...there might only be one taken in the first round this year.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    As long as someone balances their trade values--and this one was a fair trade--then I never have an issue with it for Mock puposes.

But I agree regarding Balitmore specifically. The don't trade away a lot of picks because they genrally draft so well that they value those picks more than some other teams do.
    I mean for example, the same year we took Felix in the 1st, they patiently waited for Rice to fall to them a full round later. Double whammy there by getting the better player by far a round later and still keeping their 1st round pick (Flacco).

All teams have thier ups and downs in the draft but they seem to do better than most.