1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

1/27 Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by robert70x7, Jan 27, 2013.

1. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I've spent about an hour just looking at players, and this is the only thing that I can come up with that I am somewhat completely satisfied with - in terms of players that can step in right away and make a difference.

*I think the Cowboys will consider giving Spencer a shot at SOLB. If that's the case, DE is a huge priority (see below)

*They might look for safety depth in FA, plus Matt Johnson will be a pseudo-addition (hopefully).

*I think I have been over-looking the fact that the Cowboys could seriously look at tackle options early on.

[IMG]

18 - Ezekiel Ansah - DE, BYU

Has some versatility across the D-Line but main role would be opposite of DeMarcus Ware. Ability to play DT on some downs would make some PT for Tyrone Crawford.

[IMG]

47. Barrett Jones - C, Alabama

Immediately steps in takes charge of this o-line. I am sick and tired of the revolving door at center. 7th round pick for Ryan Cook wasn't terrible, but he's not the long term answer.

[IMG]

80. Brandon Williams - DT, Missouri Southern

This guy is quick/disruptive, and yet still big enough to hold up against the run in the trenches. Dominated on the D2 level and proved that he could still do well against FBS players in the Senior Bowl.

[IMG]

111. Brennan Williams - OT, North Carolina

This guy will shoot up boards and is on the fringe of 3-4 guy right now. I really like him as a RT that could challenge Parnell/Free next year and would eventually take over.

[IMG]

144. Kenjon Barner - RB, Oregon

Need stability behind Murray since Fat Felix is gone, and Barner would be a good change of pace guy that would see 15-20 snaps per game as someone who could do a multitude of things for the Cowboys.

[IMG]

175. Tyrann Mathieu - CB, LSU Dorm

I took heat for having a draft crush on Vontaze Burfict last year, and Mathieu will be a polarizing subject if the Cowboys are indeed targeting him. In the 6th round, I don't see why any team wouldn't take a shot on him. I think he's Charles Tillman 2.0

That's all I got. My head hurts, must be from the second-hand high of our 6th round pick :laugh2:
  2. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,235 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Tyrann reminds me too much of Cliff Harris. I wouldn't want to spend a pick on him, but would gladly take a look as a udfa.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No way he goes UDFA.
  4. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,235 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm not saying that he'll go undrafted, I think someone will spend a 5th or 6th on him. I'm just saying I'd rather go in a different direction because even though he was a dynamic player in college, I'm not sure those talents will translate into the next level. If he does go undrafted for whatever reason, that's the only way I take a look at the kid.
  5. Zordon

Zordon Infinite Crab Meats...

8,239 Messages
    2,968 Likes Received
    i'd take this in a heartbeat. just curious though, what would you do at guard if things played out like this?
  6. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,447 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Your Brennan Williams pic is actually Jonathan Cooper.

I'm in the Tyronn Mathieu camp. We have wasted so may picks on guys like Stanback, AOA, Brewster, Arkin, etc. I'd rather us risk a (day 3) draft pick on a player with real talent/football ability. He would do well in Kiffin's Tampa 2 scheme IMO and I think he's going to want to prove himself.
  7. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,675 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    For as much as they would have to re-sign him, they're not going to make Spencer a SOLB in a 4-3. He's going to be a DE. So if they select Ansah, it's because they're not re-signing Spencer.
  8. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,648 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    That's a picture of Johnathon Cooper, not Brennan Williams. Just fyi.

But not bad. We really need a Safety though.. Can't afford to go yet another year without updating the position. It kills us every year.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,143 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    It would be a mistake to keep spencer and not franchise and trade him.
    Like all the picks except for the first and last. I;m not high on Ziggy like others are. Also no thanks to the honey bager. I don't want a dumb druggy on my team.
  10. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,655 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I'm going on record and saying that Barrett Jones will be gone by #47, same with Barner at #144.

I would love this draft except I would switch Jones with the best available OG. Costa was actually very serviceable when healthy.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,134 Messages
    661 Likes Received
    Not a big fan tbh.

I think Ansah eventually is a stud but more as a WDE like Ware.

Barrett Jones to me doesn't start over Costa as a rookie.

The Williams' boys would add beef and be rotational guys but not starters next year imho.

I think there is a little more out there for this team than that.
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,588 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    No way is Spencer a tampa 2 OLB. He is a DE in this scheme.

It's almost as if you like Spencer and don't want him to leave, but you like Ansah so much that you want to draft him for DE.

IMO, if they keep Spencer, no way do they draft a DE in the first. They would be spending a ton for Spencer and Ware at DE and then, they use a first round pick at DE.

I just don't see it happening.

As for the rest of your picks... not bad, but I don't think Jones will last to our second pick and if it were me, I'd really try to draft a S somewhere.

I appreciate the hard work, and I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just don't see it happening the way you have it though.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,384 Messages
    1,788 Likes Received
    18 - Ezekiel Ansah - DE, BYU
    High upside, high risk. I don't know if the Cowboys can afford this type of risk. I do like the player.
    47. Barrett Jones - C, Alabama
    Must have a Center.
    80. Brandon Williams - DT, Missouri Southern

I'm trying to decide if he fits in Kiffin's defense. He is very quick for his size, but I don't know if he is quick enough. The Kiffin type defenses value speed/quickness over size. At 341 he would be the biggest player on a Kiffin or Kiffin-inspired defense. In my research, it appears that they only take DTs with that run sub 5.1x forties.
    111. Brennan Williams - OT, North Carolina
    I'm a fan of this player. He is underrated.
    144. Kenjon Barner - RB, Oregon
    This would be a good pick.He could probably play some slot-WR if needed also.
    175. Tyrann Mathieu - CB, LSU Dorm

The Cowboys have been focused on Right-Kind-of-Guys since Garrett became the Head Coach. I just don't think they would draft a player with this level of character issues. Especially one that has sub-standard measureables (height, weight).

I'm fairly certain that Spencer would be a DE in Kiffin's defense. He might be able to play SLB, but you would not be getting good value there. The Kiffin type defenses rarely put significant resources into the SLB position.

OT or DT?
  14. Hailmary

Hailmary Active Member

2,235 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how I feel about Ziggy yet. He is considered by many as athletically gifted but "raw". I am ok, with raw as long as the prospect is on the young side. Here's the thing about Ziggy....he's from BYU and BYU players tend to be on the older side to begin with. And he's a fifth yr. senior, I think. But the biggest concern I have about Ziggy is that I am having a hard time finding his age online. Seems a little fishy. I read he turned 23 last May, but I'm not sure if that's confirmed.

If he will be 24 by the time training camp starts, I'd be ok with the pick. If he ends up being older, then I'd look elsewhere considering his "raw" label.
  15. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,143 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    I want a 1st round player that can start right away and play more than just a few downs and want about to be 24 and raw. At 18 there willbe players that xan play every down and at a high level and younger.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,384 Messages
    1,788 Likes Received
    They say he was 19 when he arrived at BYU. That was in 2009.
    2009: 19
    2010: 20
    2011: 21
    2012: 22

He should be either 22 or 23.
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Even better. :D
  18. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

537 Messages
    42 Likes Received

I can't wait to the combine I'm sure your mock will change as well as mine. I think we have to start looking at the strong probability that certain players will be drafted a round (or two) earlier than we think. LaMichael James got drafted in the second round. Barner is very similar and now it is being told he can pass block. That aside if we can take care of the other needs in FA, I would be happy.
  19. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Why not start Spencer at SLB in the base formation, and move him to DE in passing situations. Isn't this basically what he was doing before?
  20. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

935 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Leary about ansah, the words raw and potential are not what i want to hear for my pick at 18.