1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

1/27 Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by robert70x7, Jan 27, 2013.

1. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Good mock.

Not sure I would go Ansah in the 1st. Would rather have Shariff Floyd or Jonathan Cooper in that spot

I'm also in the Honey Badger camp, but I dont think the Cowboys touch him. This guy will not make it to the 6th. Someone will grab him in the 4th/5th.
  2. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That's what I was thinking.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, they have Livings and Bernadeau tied up... Center and Right Tackle were worse than both of those last year, IMHO.
  4. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That's why mocks this early are half-full. No one knows what is going to happen with free agency, and I'm not going to mock Jairus Byrd to us because 75% of CZ will jump on me saying we don't have the cap room.
  5. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    There's been a lot of good mocks. I'd love this draft as well. Not too thrilled about corner though. Let's add more OL depth or DL depth.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,574 Messages
    2,436 Likes Received
    I think some of you are forgetting how little Mathieu is.
    The guy is 5' 9", yet only runs a 4.51.
    Charles Tillman, for example, was 5 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier...and just as fast
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    money
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Not just that but he was about the 5th best pure cover guy at LSU. SEC teams actually beat him when he had to cover.

He was amazing on blitzes however.

Useful player who is probably an NFL safety. Height isn't an issue for me if a guy makes plays.

But his off-field stuff is just too much. Very hard to get kicked off LSU's team. We've seen guys do tons worse and make it back. The Honey Badger couldn't. This kid is clearly "about that life".

Pass, unless it is a very late pick.
  9. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Money isn't an issue.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    yes, it darn sure is.

we can't pay spencer what he's worth if he is a SOLB.

our SOLB will make a couple mil per year at most, not 8-10.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    I don't think he means that we can't do it... he means it wouldn't be smart to do it.

SLB in Monte Kiffin's scheme isn't a position that you throw big money at. It is easy to fill that position, and for all intents and purposes, it is never filled with a guy who is the size of Kiffin's DE's. Those are smaller, athletic guys with change of direction skills and who excel in coverage.

If we pay Spencer, he will be the SDE.
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  13. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Nice mock Robert!

A lot of thought put into it.

But I agree with the other folks, that Spencer would either be a 4-3 DE or not be on the team.

When Dallas was running a 4-3, the linebackers in general were the "low men on the totem pole" when it came to salary. I can't conceive of Dallas paying Spencer say $7 mil a year as an outside linebacker.

And quite frankly given the needs of the position I don't see Spencer being a good fit as a 4-3 OLBer. Not fast enough. Too bulky.
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    True.

When Dallas was running a 4-3, it was the linebacking corps that made the least amount of money.

The big money went to the defensive line and the secondary.
  15. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,217 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    And bingo was his name-o.

'Sup Mike.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,574 Messages
    2,436 Likes Received
    Yes, they generally paid the linebackers less. Or if they stood to make the really big bucks, they let them walk.
    Ken Norton and Robert Jones were setting tackling records in that scheme.

To be fair though, that 4-3 is not the Kiffin 4-3.

In any case, I agree that paying big dollars to a third LB when we already will evenutally be paying Lee and Carter, is probably not a reasonable option.
  17. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ^^^This^^^
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,796 Messages
    5,952 Likes Received
    Just curious how often this happens? Do you have some examples of non-QBs being franchised and then traded?

I'm not saying that it does not happen, just curious to find examples.

I would be happy with a 4th round pick vs nothing.
  19. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    If Spencer is not fast enough and is too bulky, how did he manage to thrive within the previous system? On early downs, when the offense was not forced into a passing situation, but passed anyways, the Cowboys usually rushed 4, and Spencer was usually in coverage.

Allow me to reiterate my suggestion. Have Spencer play SLB in non-passing situations, where the offense does not have 3 wides. Move him up to DE in passing situations, or when the offense has a passing set.

In addition, people have been wondering who will back up Ware, when he needs a break. Why not Spencer? So, who backs up Spencer? Albright.

I will grant that all of this responsibility might not be enough to justify a contract offer (or franchise tag) for Spencer. But, I believe he is fully qualified to handle it. More so than I think he could handle strong-side DE on a full-time basis.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    He turned 23 in May, which would make him 24 when next season rolls around.