1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

1/31 Mock #2 with Free Agency

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Aliencowboy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

532 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    1: Lane Johnson (easy pick here-I don't think he'll be still projected this late here after the combine at 18#, but this would be the biggest gain for the team by eliminating Free and keeping Parnell as a backup swing. This guy plays LT/RT and will be a pro bowler)

2: Travis Frederick C/G (generally has a 2nd round ranking. I want a strong smart center that will hold the middle, blow open holes and help out the guards. This guy meets those)

3: Marquis Goodwin WR (missing this type of speedster on Offense to balance the strong tall WR like Dez. Cut Miles. Replace him? I think Harris could be the 2nd and Goodwin and Cole could play the slot.

4: LeVeon Bell RB athletic - passing catching and big to share reps

Free Agency: Resign Spencer, Sign *Glenn Dorsey (very reasonable deal for the cowboys-give this guy shot to play where he is suited under tackle) and Sign a guard like Levitre.

DL: Ware, Hatcher, Rat/Dorsey, Spencer
    OL: Tyrone, Livings, Frederick, Levitre, Johnson

Rollin the dice at safety. Can't get everything
  2. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,730 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Gonna need a corner and return man if Harris has to be our # 2 WR.

I don't think we cut Miles or Rat.
  3. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,549 Messages
    1,545 Likes Received
    signs spencer levitre and dorsey.

Glad you guys think the salary cap doesnt exsist
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    No DL at all? Can't take this...
  5. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

956 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I like the first pick and feel like Lane Johnson(Tyron Smith body) should be in the discussion if we are going to be drafting Oline in round one in fact he needs to be at the head of the class at 18. If not lets get some help with Chris Faulk(early Nate Newton body) later in the draft(had knee injury early season 2012) in the third rd.
    That said this draft is setting up for us to have a talented DLineman in our menu at 18 with a much stronger talent grade than the Olinemen and a much better value. With your mock we completely ignore this dilemma and draft a center and wide receiver with picks 2 and 3 just saying I would like to think we have a better strategy. No problem with the players just not playing to the strength of this draft.
  6. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

896 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    I really like your first two picks. Also the RB in round 4. Nothing against Goodwin, and this team surely could use a speedster. But I'd prefer S or DL in round 3 after going OL in 1 and 2. Then again, you draft the best players. And if you clearly prefer a WR, that's what you do.
  7. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Spencer/Levitre/Dorsey could be fit without a ton of fuss. Don't necessarily like the Dorsey idea, but the cap isn't an issue on that FA group.
  8. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

532 Messages
    50 Likes Received

This is fair criticism but:

I looked at the deals they already made in the front 7: Ware-2016-Spears -2015, Rat-2017. Lissemore-2016 and Hatcher-2015. Drafted Lee and Carter in the 2nd round. Drafted Crawford. They already doubled down on these guys with contracts. Stick with them and play them. Maybe the DL will play better in a 1 gap D.

Having a running game will keep the defense off the field. Less interceptions from Romo and less short fields for the defense is a gain by having a better OL.

If the cowboys can sign 2 big names like it's speculated in the media, then I say re-sign spencer. Take a prove me deal with Dorsey as a back up to Rat. Dorsey has been misused in KCs 3-4. I think Rat and Dorsey will make great under tackles. Sign a center or guard. Ideally Levitre or La Puente

They can still take some DL in rounds 5-7
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,614 Messages
    2,005 Likes Received
    Appreciate the effort, but would have to pass on this one for several reasons.

The resulting Oline looks pretty decent though!

I'm not completely opposed to Lane in the 1st though.
    I like Frederick, but maybe not at 47
    I would not take Goodwin with a 3rd round pick. Unless we have an amazing FA haul, we have far too many needs to be going there.
    What about our horrific safety situation?
    We need some youth on that Dline
    You also are assuming a lot regarding the cap.

Thanks though
  10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,729 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    I like this draft alot.

Love the first 3 picks.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,342 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    good effort but if you look at our needs in order, i am not sure this is the best use of resources

1. 2 OL (at least an OG but also either OC or OT)
    2. 2 DL (need both a DT and a DE)
    3. Safety
    4. back up RB
    5. speedy/slot receiver

whats more, i think if we plan apropriately, we can fill most if not all of those needs in this off season largely becasue the draft is deep at exactly our positions of need

e.g

FA:

OT or OC
    1 DL
    would not resign spencer (try to trade him if possible)

Draft:

Rd 1: OL/DL based on value and draft board (i think we go DL in first)
    Rd 2: OL/DL (whoever we did not pick in 1)
    Rd 3: safety (i think there will be a safety in rd 3 who can start for us day 1)
    Rd 4: RB (once again, with the devaluation of the RB position, there will be a very good RB sitting here for us)
    Rd 5-7: value
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,913 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    I actually like the first three picks, but I think we need a safety and a DL in this draft. I can't be satisfied with one that doesn't get either.
  13. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    We Don't Have Cap Moneyz To Sign Spencer, Levitre And Dorsey.

We Are Going To Get Something Like Chilo Rachal, Pat Mcquistan, Ryan Torain, Shaun Rogers, Sean Considine

And We're Going To Have To Franchise Brian Moorman
  14. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Maybe CBZ should hold a contest. Poster whose predictions are closest to what actually happened in the offseason wins....something.
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,557 Messages
    4,137 Likes Received
    Maybe a member can donate a big prize...something like a Corvette.:dance:
  16. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    ^I had similar thoughts! haha
  17. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Haha, as my dad likes to say, I'll take that under advisenot.