1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

1 of the 2012 rule changes

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Doomsday101, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,318 Messages
    3,044 Likes Received
    Hey, Peyton Manning! You have not only changed teams, but you also can't be in the shotgun and thrust your hands forward while taking a big jab step unless the ball is snapped simultaneous with your movements. He is famous for this. The league has allowed quarterbacks in shotgun formation to get away with false starts for years.

Not anymore. If the ball is not snapped in concert with these movements, a flag will be thrown regardless of whether the defense reacts.

-- Hey, Jeff Saturday! Now that you are with the Packers, don't abruptly lift your head to coincide with Aaron Rogers' signal call unless you are snapping the ball at the same time. You got away with it with the Colts, but you won't now.

-- And finally, San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh! If you are going to run a shift before the snap, it had better be smooth. If any of it is deemed to be abrupt, a false start will be called.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...Harbaugh-could-have-major-role-on-game-032812
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,340 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    I like it.
  3. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think there should be more equality on false starts. How can the defense jump around like crazy, cross the line and go back and reset.....yet if the offensive line so much as flinches, it's a false start. It should be more equal. If a defender crosses the line at all...flag. And maybe have it where a defender must be set before the snap like the OL. Just weird the OL has to act like ninja monks and be still while the defense can do almost anything to draw a FS.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,541 Messages
    8,486 Likes Received
    Too many rules. Too many breaks in the action. Too much referee influence over the outcome.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    This one's been missing for a long time.

Eli Manning does the same thing, hand gestures like the ball is snapped, etc.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I disagree with this. The offense isn't responding to the defense. The offense dictates the snap. The defense does not. If they want to bounce around and get caught while moving, more power to them.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    What is he referring to with the Harbaugh statement?
  8. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree with every bit of this post
  9. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I believe he means that the 49ers' TEs, backs and receivers move abruptly when going in motion or shifting, trying to draw defenders offside by simulating the snap. I don't know about the 49ers, but the NYG do it a lot.
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,129 Messages
    1,159 Likes Received
    I actually think these are good rules. I think they can help slow down the ridiculous CFL-like passing game the game is starting to turn into.

YR
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Thank God. They finally got something right.

And these aren't even new rules. These are just enforcing the way it was for decades. The OL moves around before the snap a ton now where they used to have to be absolutely still.
  12. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,730 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    And I've been b****in' about it for years so I'm glad they finally listened! :D

Although I never called it a false start, I called it illegal motion. You can't have 2 men moving at once (unless everyone gets into a set position for 1 full second) nor can you have anyone moving forward at the snap. Peyton Manning has been breaking both those rules for over a decade now.
  13. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    These false starts are the least of the problems. The league needs to clarify:

1. Holding. For the love of God, it's utterly ridiculous. Anyone who watches knows this goes uncalled 98% of the time when it's BLATANT.
    2. Defenseless Receiver. I understand the player safety, but the referees have no distinction between legal and illegal.
    3. Roughing the passer. This one really drives me nuts, esp when a hand grazes the top of the helmet, trying to bat a pass, what have you. I can understand removing vicious head-shots, but grazing the top of the helmet? Absurd.
    4. Full Time Referees. Every other major sport has them. The NFL needs to get up to speed.
  14. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,044 Likes Received
    I disagree with full time refs. Reason I don't see where the NBA or MLB refs do such a great job. Add to that once they are considered full time they can and will form a union. I have had it with sports unions.
  15. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    You have a point there...I loathe unions in general. As they are currently constructed, they are outdated and useless to anyone but themselves.
  16. joseephuss

21,340 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    The addressed that during this past season. I saw a few non-calls when a hand grazed the QBs helmet.

The NFL Referees Association is the union that serves NFL refs.
  17. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,044 Likes Received
    They are not as strong as the other unions in large part they are not full time.
    As I mentioned I have not seen any benifet for MLB and NBA matter of fact in baseball the union is so strong that replays of questionalbe calls are not premitted or the officals walk off the field. Mouth off to the offical over a questionable call you are kicked out of the game.

I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe that full time is some magic cure.
  18. joseephuss

21,340 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    I was just pointing out they had a union. Don't yell at me. :D
  19. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,730 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    I never understood the mentality of this. People say "other sports have full time refs so the NFL should." Well if the other sports actually had good officiating you may have a point, but we regularly see calls in those other sports that are far and away worse than anything you'll ever see on the gridiron.

Basketball and hockey play 5 times as many games as football, and baseball plays 10 times as many. That's why their officials have full time positions. In the NFL, you just don't need to dedicate your life to the league when you only work 16 days per year.
  20. Doomsday101

77,318 Messages
    3,044 Likes Received
    You know I don't yell. :D