1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

10 Greatest Cowboys Who Never Made the Pro Bowl

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by percyhoward, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Hostile

Hostile Driver of the Cowboys Bandwagon Zone Supporter

119,150 Messages
    3,262 Likes Received
    When? He didn't go last year or as a rookie and I seem to remember that his breakout year there was a huge rhubarb here about him getting sleighted.

He's also not on percyhoward's list of guys with at least 1 appearance.

I don't think he has. If I'm wrong, cool, but I truly don't think he's been.
  2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

11,095 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    He went in place of Shockey, who was too 'injured'. I think 2004....

EDIT:
    Actually, he's been to two:

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=34539
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

22,337 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=nfcroster/04

He went in as an injury replacement last season as well.
  4. Hostile

119,150 Messages
    3,262 Likes Received
    Okay, but he wasn't elected to one. Right? Even though he should have been in 2004.

Wrong is wrong. I don't watch the stupid game and haven't in years so I was unaware of this. I do remember the furor over him not making it.
  5. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,499 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    I was saying that it was the best performance of that year, which I still say.. He was not the same as the first Michael Corleone in the least.. he was full of sorrow and sadness.. he was seeking forgiveness and redemption.. he is haunted by his past and hopeful for his future and the future of his kids its a very sad, tragic, powerful performance..

The Godfather III got a bad rap because of a terrible performance from Sophia Coppola.. Granted, it wasn't the masterpiece that the first two were, but it is an extremely good movie with an outstanding Pacino performance.. And yes, I agree that those movies you mentioned were the best Pacino performances.. but he should have been nominated for GFIII..
  6. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry I misread your post. I thought I'd read 'careers' rather than 'years.' That being said, I can think of few cinematic experiences more disappointing than the third Godfather. Granted, it had a pretty daunting legacy to live up to, but everything from the awful Sofia Coppola to the out-of-his-league Andy Garcia left me with an extremely bad taste in my mouth. Even Pacino's performance was a bit of a let-down to my eyes. If I'm not mistaken, GF III came out the same year as Goodfellas. I feel that it pales in comparison to Scorsese's masterpiece.

Oh by the way, how come nobody has mentioned Ike Holt as being one of the Cowboy greats not to have made the Pro Bowl?
  7. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Our differences regarding GF III aside, I think we can both agree that Pacino is one hell of an actor. Maybe the best ever...
  8. joseephuss

22,337 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    A lot of fans who vote for the Pro-Bowl just don't know football. I blame the kids. They like someone like Shockey and then stuff the ballots.

Also, other football players and coaches that vote don't take their ballots seriously. They probably vote for the first guy they see listed or who was on the last highlight. I remember Joel Hilgenberg of the Saints made the pro-bowl in 1992. It was the only time he ever made it. He said a lot of guys on other teams told him they voted for him because they thought he was his brother Jay who had been elected 7 years in a row while playing for Chicago. In 1992, Jay went to Cleveland and Joel's name was the only Hilgenberg on the NFC ballot.

I agree, it was wrong. It is a flawed system. I can almost guarantee that Newman will make it this year. The reason being not that he is a very good player, but because John Madden kept talking him up during the game. I think people who vote will be persuaded by Madden.
  9. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,233 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    He was elected to the Pro Bowl in 2004. He was second in votes only behind Alge Crumpler. He totally earned that one. At the end of that season the big three TEs of the league were Witten, Crumpler, and that was Antonio Gates breakout year as well. Everyone was calling that season "The Year of the Tight End."

Last year he replaced Shockey, but it still counts as a Pro Bowl.
  10. joseephuss

22,337 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    Not over DeNiro. I like Hackman better, too. :)
  11. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,189 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    I really liked the way Eugene "the Hitting Machine" played middle LB, and I cannot believe he was not recognized by at least one pro bowl appearance.

He had several games with double digit tackles......what a tough guy!
  12. joseephuss

22,337 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    Unfortunately he played at a time when there were some really good linebackers in the league.

The year he had 222 tackles(13.875 per game) was in 1989. A 1-15 team just is not going to get recognition.

These guys represented the NFC that year:
    Tim Harris - gnb
    Vaughan Johnson - nor
    Mike Singletary - chi
    Lawrence Taylor - nyg
    Kevin Greene - ram
    Chris Spielman - det
    Pat Swilling - nor
  13. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love DeNiro, but his career has been on a Brett Favre-like slide since the early '90s. When he was on form (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, GF II, Goodfellas, Midnight Run, Angel Heart), there was none better. However, his recent output has been tired at best. As for Gene Hackman, he's obviously very good (The Conversation, Mississippi Burning, Superman, The Unforgiven) but I feel he's a notch below DeNiro, Pacino and Jack Nicholson.
  14. deadrody

deadrody Member

244 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like the 1992-1994 Super Bowl, Pro Bowl offensive line:

Tuinei, Newton, Stepnoski, Gogan, and Williams. Starting Oline, all pro bowlers.
  15. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Speaking of Danny White as a punter... has Mcbriar made it?? I guess this is his 3rd year huh? This year's the year he goes.
  16. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,992 Messages
    3,455 Likes Received
    Gogan didn't make the Pro Bowl until after he left the Cowboys, but that was a legendary line. None of whom, incidentally will ever make the Hall of Fame.
  17. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,992 Messages
    3,455 Likes Received
    Oops. Sorry about that, I tried to edit it, but it won't let me. Witten is a two-time Pro Bowler.

Dat never went, though.
  18. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,233 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    Dat was an alternate in 2003. Parcells first year when we went 10-6 and had the #1 Defense. Coakley was an alternate that year too but ended up going.
  19. Hostile

119,150 Messages
    3,262 Likes Received
    You're old school like me. You gotta admit my DD Lewis one is a decent pick.
  20. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,872 Messages
    1,889 Likes Received
    DD Lewis was ONE FANTASTIC player! I also met him one time while at a Cowboy game way back when...and he was very cordial...the man could HIT!

There are so many great Cowboy players through the years...