1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

10 Greatest Cowboys Who Never Made the Pro Bowl

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by percyhoward, Sep 22, 2006.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,904 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    D.D. is a great pick, no question. How about Dave Edwards?

I knew Witten was a Pro Bowler though. (Notice he wasn't in my list of ten.) I just threw the current Cowboys onto my ABC list at the last minute and forgot Witten.

If that makes you feel any worse.:D
  2. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,022 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    I agree man. Val was awesome in that movie.
  3. Manster68

Manster68 Active Member

1,565 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I cannot believe that we are on the third page of this and nobody mentions...

...the GREAT...

...LARRY COLE!!!

REDSKIN KILLER!!!
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,666 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    Oh yeah...another player that did not want to take names...! He just wanted to kick a . . . !
  5. kickholder

kickholder New Member

31 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  6. Manster68

Manster68 Active Member

1,565 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Larry Cole made the second greatest tackle in Cowboys history.

Week 16, 1979, in that barn-burner game against the Redskins. Washington was winning 34-28 with about two minutes left, and it was 3rd and 2. All the Redskins needed to do was convert the 3rd down and the division was theirs, as Dallas went home.

Larry Cole knifed through and tackled Riggins by his ankles two yards behind the line of scrimmage. Dallas got the ball back and Roger drove down the field and won it.

Only Ken Norton's tackle on Kenneth Davis in Super Bowl XXVII on the goal line was better.
  7. percyhoward

7,904 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    I originally planned this as an all-time non-Pro Bowl team, only I ended up with no TE, too many LB's, and not enough OL.

Anyway, Cole and Casillas were my DT's.

Cole returned a fumble for a TD in 1969, and didn't do it again until 1980. He explained the lapse in between by saying, "Anybody can have an off-decade."
  8. Manster68

Manster68 Active Member

1,565 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I heard that on NFL Films too.
  9. percyhoward

7,904 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    I didn't though.:)
  10. vaquerosdedallas

vaquerosdedallas Member

74 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This list left off Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson--1978.
  11. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great thread folks!

You guys have already brought up everyone I would have thought of. As I was reading through I was thinking, "no one has brought up Larry Cole" but the Manster came through for me.

As for Pacino, I can't believe no one has brought up "Scent of a Woman". I loved that movie and thought he did a great job of playing a blind man. So did Val Kilmer for that matter in "At First Sight".

As great as Pacino is he is nowhere near being the greatest actor ever folks. Of the last 30 years... probably.

Watch Humphrey Bogart in "The Big Sleep" or "The Caine Mutiny" sometime if you want to see who the greatest actor ever was.

Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney, Gregory Peck, Clark Gable, and yes even John Wayne were all better actors than Pacino IMO. It could be they just got better roles but to me they showed more range and seemed more natural at it, easier to relate to.

Charles Laughton is a guy I thought never got the recognition he deserved. He played an enormous number of roles and could play anything from cold and calculating to goofy. He did comedy, drama, sci fi, you name it and had defining roles in each genre.

Just my opinion of course.
  12. percyhoward

7,904 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    Thanks for the correction. It's funny, I didn't catch that one, and I didn't even consider Henderson for my 10 greatest who never went to a Pro Bowl. D.D. Lewis, never a Pro Bowler, made the 25th Anniversary team ahead of Hollywood. And that team was chosen by the fans.

It will be interesting to see, in three more years when the 50th anniversary team is selected, how many guys are knocked off in favor of more recent players.

I'm guessing the following players get bounced:
    OUT..........IN
    Meredith, Aikman
    Lewis, Ware
    Perkins, Emmitt
    Garrison, Moose
    Fitzgerald, Stepnoski
    DuPree, Witten
    Neely, Allen
    Waters, Roy

Does Irvin replace Hayes or Pearson?
    Does TNew make it? Walls' and Green's spots should be untouchable.
  13. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    D.D. Lewis
  14. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was the first one that came to my mind. Actually he was the only one that I could think of.
  15. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    All those guys were no doubt great and I probably could do with seeing more of their movies, but I find the style of acting in the 'older' movies too mannered. They don't seem to act like real people would act in real life. One guy I amazingly forgot to mention was Marlon Brando. As for Scent Of A Woman, that sits next to GF III as the worst (or perhaps most overrated) performance Pacino has committed to film.
  16. percyhoward

7,904 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    Lewis played with a chaw (or dip) and took pride in the fact that he had illegally spit on all the league's artificial playing surfaces.

And there were alot of them back then.
  17. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: That's pretty funny, I did not know that. I don't see how he could play with dip in his mouth and keep from swallowing.

I would have been terrified that I might make a mistake.:puke:
  18. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,908 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He has actually played i9n 2 pro bowls. In 2004 he was elected in his own right, last season he was an alternate that played after Another TE couldnt go
  19. percyhoward

7,904 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    Here's the corrected list of all 57 players who went to at least one Pro Bowl. Being selected as an alternate doesn't count if the player didn't go.

Aikman, T
    Allen, L
    Andrie, G
    Bates, B
    Breunig, B
    Coakley, D
    Cosbie, D
    Donovan, P
    DuPree, B
    Everett, T
    Fugett, J
    Garrison, W
    Glenn, T
    Gogan, K
    Green, C
    Haley, C
    Harris, C
    Hayes, B
    Henderson, T
    Hill, C
    Howley, C
    Irvin, M
    Johnston, D
    Jones, E
    Jones, R
    Jordan, L
    Lett, L
    Lilly, B
    Manders, D
    Martin, H
    Maryland, R
    Meredith, D
    Neely, R
    Newton, N
    Niland, J
    Norton, K
    Novacek, J
    Nye, B
    Pearson, D
    Perkins, D
    Renfro, Me
    Scott, H
    Smith, E
    Staubach, R
    Stepnoski, M
    Tolbert, T
    Tuinei, M
    Walker, H
    Walls, E
    Waters, C
    White, D
    White, R
    Williams, E
    Williams, R
    Witten, J
    Woodson, D
    Wright, R
  20. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jethro Pugh was really in a bad situation. Not only did he play next to and get overshadowed by Lilly but he was branded (nation wide) as the guy who gave up the TD on the QB sneak in the Icebowl. It was an unfairbranding but it affected his reputation for the rest of his career.

On a sidenote: Jethro Pugh suffered frostbite to his hands in that game and suffers with the affects to this day.