1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

10th...and 11th Picks

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Zone' started by 31smackdown, Aug 30, 2004.

1. 31smackdown

31smackdown Active Member

1,041 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    My draft is Wednesday night and I have the 10th and 11th picks..10 team league. I'm struggling a bit with who to take since it's a long wait after these picks and all the premier runners will probably be gone. If I skip RB completely I'm not sure what will be left at pick 30, but at the same time I would like to come out with two solid starters which is making me think about going the Culpepper, Harrison or Manning, Moss route and then trying to scoop up a lot of middle round backs, but not drafting a back in Round 1 or 2 can really kill you in a FFL league. I guess it comes down to what value there is at number 30&31 for a RB and QB. A strong QB is a need in this league. Thoughts?
  2. Brokejumper

Brokejumper New Member

138 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If your draft goes like mine, you are still likely to have either Dillion or Taylor availiable then so I might go with Culpepper/Manning and Dillion/Taylor. That way you should have a legitimate 1 RB and one of the top QB's.
  3. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm drafting tonight in the exact same position, so I'll let you know what I come up with.

My plan is to take the two best RBs available unless Moss is there. Then I'll take him and the best RB available.

I have no plans to take a QB there... not worth it IMO.

I'm hoping that I can get two of the following RBs in this spot... Fred Taylor, E. James, or Jamal Lewis. We'll see.
  4. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,390 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    take moss if he is there and the best RB on the board unless there are two of the top 8 backs there.
  5. Danny White

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I ended up getting James and Taylor... just as I thought. Lewis was taken 7th.

It went 7 straight RBs, then Moss and Harrison, then I took Edge and Freddy.

Just FYI.
  6. 31smackdown

1,041 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Thanks for the posts...I'm hoping James slips to me as well...Mind if I ask what was around when you got to pick again?
  7. Danny White

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not thrilled with my draft, but here's how it went down for me:

1) James
    2) Taylor
    3) Gonzalez
    4) Coles
    5) Pennington
    6) Jerry Porter
    7) Keyshawn
    8) Larry Fitzgerald
    9) Warrick Dunn
    10) Deshaun Foster
    11) Vanderjagt
    12) Cowboys D
    13) Ashley Lelie
    14) Kevin Johnson
    15) Emmitt

I really wish that Harrison or Moss had slipped. If so I would have grabbed one of them and then James. Because when my 3/4 picks came around, I still could have added Westbrook and/or Chris Brown. Also, I could have had Griffin with my 5/6 pick.

I think all my picks after Fitzgerald are wastes (with Vanderjagt excepted).

By my 3rd round pick, all the premier WRs had been taken (Holt, Owens, Chad Johnson, Santana Moss) and I had to hold my nose and take Coles, who I hate. Culpepper, Manning, McNabb had been taken as well. I was the first person to take a TE, but Gonzo is such a value there (head and shoulders above all the other TEs in my opinion) I had to take him with no other obvious WR available.

Good luck with your draft, let us know who you get.
  8. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Active Member

2,394 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    My draft was this weekend. I was 11 out of 12.

I ended up with Moss at 11 and Dillon at 14.
    It's fairly hard to get a decent team drafting that low.

My entire team looks like this.

QB Marc Bulger STL *
    QB Kyle Boller Bal
    RB Corey Dillon NE *
    RB Duce Staley Pit *
    RB Kevin Jones Det
    WR Randy Moss Min *
    WR Quincy Morgan Cle *
    WR Steve Smith Car *
    WR Roy Williams Det
    WR Eddie Kennison KC
    TE Kellen Winslow Cle *
    TE Jason Witten
    K Olindo Mare Mia *
    DEF New Orleans NO *

* indicates starters
    Actually undecided about starting Winslow over Witten.

Let us know how you do.
  9. 31smackdown

1,041 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Well... I had the draft tonight...and I'm not really that happy with it... I have a decent amount of potential ... but not a lot of sure things at RB.... All the good backs were off the board before my pick and I wanted to take surefire scorers although I came very close to pulling the trigger on Dominick Davis at 11, but just couldn't do it. My strategy changed to grabbing every decent back to hurt other teams after that, while hoping one of them breaks out. I left Def and Kicker to the end after the top 2 of each went off the board early, and figure I'll add one through free agency later. So here's how my draft went....WR and TE are the same, only need to start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 DEF, 1 K. Worst part about the whole thing was actually drafting Eagle's and Giant's, it killed me to do it.

10 Randy Moss (WR MIN
    11 TQB Colts (TQB IND)
    30 Brian Westbrook (RB PHI)
    31 Tiki Barber (RB NYG)
    50 Chris Brown (RB TEN)
    51 Quentin Griffin (RB DEN)
    70 Jerry Porter (WR OAK)
    71 Tyrone Wheatley (RB OAK)
    90 Moe Williams (RB MIN)
    91 Deion Branch (WR NE)
    110 Larry Fitzgerald (WR ARI)
    111 TQB Raiders (TQB OAK)
    130 K MIN
    131 DST Vikings (DST MIN)
    150 Jeremy Shockey (TE NYG)
  10. Danny White

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good job. You did us 10th pickers proud! I would have loved for Moss to have dropped to me. I loved your strategy of picking up RBs. Barber is suspect, but Westbrook, Brown and Q are great picks. Wheatly will be pleasant surprised as well.

We're both Edge and Taylor gone by your first picks?

About picking Giants, Skins, and Eagles... I love picking them. Hedging your bets... if they're good, at least you get the benefit of their fantasy points. If they suck, then all the better for the Cowboys!
  11. 31smackdown

1,041 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Actually Taylor was available, but with the slight ding and fear that Greg Jones might take goalline carries away, I just went with Moss and Manning after thinking about Culpepper/Harrison... There are no points for receptions, just yards and touchdowns so I gave the edge to Moss a little and I just think Manning is more consistant than Culpepper.
  12. 31RoyW31

31RoyW31 Member

141 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have the 7th pick in a 12 team league, we draft Wednesday the night before the regular season. I'm thinking of going with E James there. I hope one of the top 6 IMO (PH, LT, AG, Portis, Alexander, McAllister) are there. I would have Lewis rate about 5th, but I don't want to have to worry about his trial all year. It's a Federal Case so I'm not so sure he is going to get out the mess he is in.

James has been improving each year since the injury and he finished last year strong so I think I'll take him and hope.