1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

#11 - 1st Round - Dallas Sackmaster Demarcus Ware, DE, Troy State

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 22, 2005.

1. zagnut

zagnut New Member

1,210 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What the heck is trying to block Ware in your sig pic? Is that a football player? :)
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,380 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received
    Put it this way all of the top D lineman and LB where all still there for the taking, Parcells got his guy!
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,800 Messages
    3,294 Likes Received
    :D :D :D :D :D
  4. Letemburn

Letemburn Member

789 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Link to Stats for Ware?
  5. jsond

jsond Member

712 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i hear ya, there was no settling here he had his choice of whoever he wanted so i have faith, just wish i knew more about him. but he brought in jj in the 2nd (and buffalos 1st), witten in the 3rd, al johnson and that alone is more than we have had to brag about at their respective draft postions in a long time so i have hope and will be scouring the net for vids on ware.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,380 Messages
    1,866 Likes Received
    Demarcus Ware has been considered the school's finest athlete by the Trojans coaching staff. Not only is Ware one of the fastest defenders on the 2004 squad (4½1 in the 40-yard dash), but he was also the strongest (430-pound bench press). He is also blessed with incredible leaping ability (38½-inch vertical jump).

Ware only played football for two years at Auburn (Ala.) High School, earning all-area honors as a senior. That year, he collected 55 tackles (40 solos) with seven sacks as a linebacker and also competed as a receiver while picking up team MVP accolades. He also participated in basketball, baseball and track.

Ware appeared in eight games as a reserve defensive end in 2001 at Troy, posting 14 tackles (five solos) with a pair of sacks. He started 11 games at left end in 2002, responding with 72 tackles (47 solos), nine sacks, 13 quarterback pressures and 20 stops for losses (second-best season total in school history).

Ware earned All-Sun Belt Conference honors the next two years, adding league Defensive Player of the Year honors while being named a finalist for the Hendricks Award (given to the nation's top defensive end) as a senior. He made 62 tackles (43 solos) with six sacks, 16 stops behind the line of scrimmage, 32 pressures and five forced fumbles in 2003. He capped off his career with 47 tackles (31 solos), 10½ sacks, 18 stops for losses, 27 pressures and four forced fumbles in 2004.

In 43 games with the Trojans, Ware started 34 times. He collected 195 tackles (126 solos) with 27½ sacks for minus-236 yards, 57 stops for losses of 251 yards and 74 quarterback pressures. Only Charles Pickett (43, 1974-76) had more sacks in a career at Troy than Ware's 27½. His 57 stops behind the line of scrimmage broke the old school career-record of 40 by Osi Umenyiora (1999-2002). He also recovered four fumbles, caused 10 others and deflected one pass.
  7. Mr. Fantasy

Mr. Fantasy Woohitz

268 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Demarcus Ware

School: Troy State
    Position: Strongside Linebacker
    Class: Senior
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 251lbs
    Birthday:
    40 Time: 4.56

Positives

- DeMarcus is a skilled sack artist, who has the uncanny ability to find the quarterback. He is a playmaker who has a good motor, and determined to never lose a battle. He's a disruptive player who consistently makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.

Weaknesses

- A big knock on DeMarcus is that he is very raw at the OLB spot, having mainly played the defensive end position. He could take time to learn the OLB spot, but in the right system he will be the ideal fit.

Overall Analysis

- Demarcus Ware is an explosive athlete who has great upside potential as an NFL pass-rusher. Ware played in 8 games in a reserve role as a true freshman for Troy in 2001. He had his breakthrough season as a sophomore, posting 9 sacks and 20 tackles for loss while appearing in 12 games (11 starts). He had another solid year as a junior and really got off to a great start as a senior. Ware is an explosive player who displays outstanding athletic ability on the football field. He can get upfield in a flash and has excellent acceleration and change of direction skills. Ware is also much stronger than his size would indicate. However, Ware lacks great size and may be better off switching to linebacker at the next level. He can hold the point of attack against the run, but he gets tied up with blockers too easily and gets neutralized on too many plays. It’s more than likely that Ware will have to play the rush ‘backer spot in a 3-4, or be a situational rusher in a 4-3 in order to maximize his potential. In summary, Ware might not be a player who will interest all NFL teams, but a team that uses him correctly could very well get a huge return on their investment. Ware currently carries a late day one/early day two grade.

Reminds You Of:
    Jason Babin
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Parcells has a proven record of finding these edge rusher DE/OLB types and this is the guy he wanted. He gets a huge benefit of the doubt because of that. If Jerry had been the one making this pick, I probably would have been screaming.

Welcome to the Cowboys, Mr. Ware.
  9. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Demarcus Ware OLB Troy 6’4 251
    By: Robert Davis

Demarcus Ware wanted to be an Auburn Tiger out of high school, but they felt he was not good enough to play for them. In the past four years, Ware has added 60lbs. to his frame and developed into one of the most feared edge rushers in the country. He moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore and never gave the job back up. He finished the year with a career high total of 72 tackles, with 19 of them coming for loss and 8 of them sacks. As a junior in 2003, Ware’s numbers dipped a bit with more attention, but he still had good numbers across the board, with 62/16/6 for the year. He capped off his career with his best overall season, with 53 tackles, 19 for loss, and 10.5 sacks. His 57 tackles for loss and 26.5 career sacks are Troy records.

Pound for pound, Ware may be the best athlete in this draft. At 250lbs, he has awesome closing speed, lateral agility, and quickness. He is a great pass rusher, and has a knack for getting to the QB. He also shows the ability to read the play and track down the ball carrier in pursuit. He is a hard worker, a player his teammates look up to, and has done his share of community service off the field as well.

Even though it may look like it’s becoming vogue to be labeled a “tweener”, it still causes questions at the next level. Ware played end in college, but will likely drop back to linebacker in the NFL. He is the ideal 3-4 OLB, but probably doesn’t have the pure bulk to remain at end in the NFL.

Wherever he plays, Ware is going to be a major threat as a pass rusher. He has all the physical ability in the world to play the linebacker spot, and is creeping up teams’ boards after his impressive combine performance. He was among the leaders, if not tops in most OLB categories. If given a little time to adjust to linebacker in the NFL, he may become one of the better pass rushing linebackers in the game. He looks like he could get into the late first round at this point, but he will not get out of the Top 40.
  10. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    OUTSTANDING pick!
    We got the best pass rusher QB killer and defensive weapon available and at #11...

Parcells will be giving Ware all the old "LT" tapes and he will become a "star" in our new Doomsday 3-4 Defense!

No more crappy wussy occupy & engage never pressure zimmy loser scheme's in Dallas!
  11. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Heard BP just said Ware reminds him of some player that used to wear #56. Damn, I wish I'd watched this kid in college so I'd know what he plays like.
  12. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,548 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    i caught that. he said he approaches the draft by drafting players that reminds him of other players he had success with. i love the LT comparison, if he is half the player we got a steal at 11.
  13. marchetta

2,996 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I missed it, do you remember what BP said about Ware?
  14. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,548 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    that is what he said. he said ware reminds him of LT. I think it shock werder when he said it. i know it shocked me but i love it nonetheless
  15. marchetta

2,996 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Thanx.
  16. alicetooljam

alicetooljam Active Member

478 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    They spoke to Parcells not too lopng after our 2nd round pick and Parcells said that if prospects didnt remind you of a another player you had coached at 1 time then you probably should pass on them. He was then asked who Ware reminded him of and Bill said a guy that wore #56 for the Giants when he there...
  17. Compacity

Compacity Benched

656 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im kind of glad now we didn't get Mike Williams...

Im still wondering how is Mike Williams going to catch the ball if his Quarterback can't get the ball to him...
    sacks...
  18. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,083 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    BP has never failed in the draft for us thus far. i have confidence he made the right choices.
  19. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,337 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Demarcus Ware was an outstanding pick. There are going to be a lot of Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears jerseys being sold. :cool:
  20. Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw Benched

5,451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    pencil me in for one #94. (WARE)

I got a Julius jersey immediately after the draft last year.
    I might make it a tradition to get a new one every year for our 1st draft pick.