1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

#110 - 4th Round - NY Giants, Brandon Jacobs, RB, SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Giants select...Brandon Jacobs
    RB | (6'4", 267, 4.62) | SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
  2. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Strengths: He has exceptional size and good straight-line speed for his size. He's a powerful runner that will simply run over defenders in space. He can push the pile in the running game. Excellent in short-yardage situations. When he gets a head of steam he is very difficult to bring down in the open field. He's a smooth athlete for his size. Has soft hands and can catch the football out of the backfield. Also has lots of potential as a pass blocker if given more experience.

Weaknesses: Is raw and still somewhat inexperienced. Never had a chance to prove what he can do as a fulltime load-carrying back at DI-A level and split carries as a senior at DI-AA level. Has good speed for his size, but just average speed for an NFL back. The thing that concerns us most is that it takes a little while to get going and lacks ideal initial burst. Is not elusive in the open field and won't run away from defenders. Has a lot of work still to do in terms of his awareness and assignment understanding as a pass blocker. Also is unpolished as a route runner in the passing game.

Overall: Jacobs started out at Coffeyville Junior College before transferring to Auburn in December, 2002. He played in all 13 games in a rotation with Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown in 2003 and finished with 446 yards on 72 carries, but when Williams and Brown elected to both return for their respective senior season, Jacobs decided to transfer to Southern Illinois (DI-AA) so he could play in 2004 rather than sit out a year at a different DI-A school. As a senior at Southern Illinois in 2004, Jacobs finished with 992 yards and 19 TD's on 150 carries and eight receptions for 83 yards. Jacobs is a phenom in terms of his physical skills. He has extraordinary size and very good speed and athleticism for his size. However, he does not have the explosiveness or the elusiveness of a starting NFL running back. Jacobs has limited experience and lacks versatility. However, his upside is intriguing and, if nothing else, he would make an excellent short-yardage and goal-line ball carrier in the NFL. He also has the size/speed combination to be a good special teams player. Jacobs is likely to be a mid-round developmental draft selection in 2005.
  3. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Brandon Jacobs, TB, Southern Illinois
    Height: 6:03.6 Weight: 256

Overview: Perhaps the most highly-touted transfer in Southern Illinois history, Jacobs joined fellow transfers Terry Jackson (Minnesota) and Arkee Whitlock (Coffeyville Community College) in forming the most explosive backfield in college football at any level. Jacobs led a running corps that accounted for 42 of the team's 65 touchdowns and 3,404 of the squad's 6,032 yards in total offense during his only season with the Salukis. Jacobs was a standout running back at Assumption High School. He led the team to the Class 4A state semi-finals as a senior, earning USA Today All-American, Orlando Sentinel All-Southern, Prep Star All-Region and Most Valuable Offensive Player of the Class 4A all-state team recognition. He was also a Louisiana High School Coaches Association Football All-Star. Jacobs rushed for 233 yards on 26 carries and scored a touchdown in the Tri-Parish All-Star Game. As a senior, he gained 3,022 yards and 38 touchdowns, averaging 8.6 yards per carry. He rushed for 1,783 yards and 18 touchdowns and caught three passes for 50 yards and a score during his junior campaign. During his last two prep seasons, he also returned eight kicks for touchdowns. The way things were going for Jacobs in high school, he's fortunate to be anywhere. An admitted truant, Jacobs speaks candidly about his past in Napoleanville, Louisiana, a small farming community in the southern part of the state. "I was bad," he said. "People didn't like me. In the state of Louisiana, after you get 20 absences you fail. Three years straight I was a 20-absence student. After you fail and fail and fail, people labeled me as a thug." Those same people, Jacobs said, decided that he had a learning disability and they placed him in special education classes. "It didn't hit me until after I was getting out of high school and I realized that I couldn't go to college without regular core classes and a high school diploma," he said. "I hung with the wrong crowd. When I got away from that, things started getting better. I started realizing that if I wanted to do something good with my life, I couldn't just play around." Jacobs is one of three siblings and the product of a single-parent household. When he was 11, Jacobs moved in with his aunt, Diane Chevious. He said it was a move that helped turn his life around. "My mom was a good lady, but she was a single mom and it was a struggle for her to try to take care of all three kids," Jacobs said. "My aunt thought that she would try to give her some help by taking me off her hands. "My aunt was always there for me. She always gave me confidence to do things. If it wasn't for her, I probably would be here." Chevious steered Jacobs to football, too. "My two cousins were out playing and she came over to the house and asked if I wanted to play football," Jacobs recalled. "I really didn't want to do it, but she said, 'You will play football.' She paid for me to play. The first day of practice I didn't like it. The coach was yelling at me, telling me what to do. I didn't like that at all. It took me a while to get accustomed to that." On his first carry in his first game, Jacobs said he broke an 80-yard run. The legend of Brandon Jacobs had begun. Jacobs originally signed with Auburn coming out of high school, but was academically ineligible. He enrolled at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College in 2001 and rushed for 927 yards and thirteen touchdowns on 130 carries (7.1-yard avg.) in ten regular season games, adding 422 yards and four scores in playoff action en route to being named to the All-Jayhawk Conference team. In 2002, he led the conference in rushing with 1,638 yards and 17 touchdowns on 243 carries (6.7 avg), adding another 258 yards and three scores on 24 carries in the playoffs. Hoping the second time would be a charm, Jacobs again enrolled at Auburn for the 2003 season. He was part of a shuttling system at halfback, sharing time with Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams. He finished the year ranked second on the team with 72 carries for 446 yards (6.2-yard avg.) and three touchdowns. Hoping to get an opportunity for more playing time, Jacobs again transferred, arriving on Southern Illinois' campus prior to the 2004 season. Even though he still had to split time with Jackson and Whitlock, he totaled 992 yards with sixteen touchdowns on 150 carries (6.6 avg), adding 83 yards on eight receptions (10.4 avg) and 140 yards on six kickoff returns (23.3 avg). In three collegiate stops, Jacobs performed in 42 games. He gained a total of 4,003 yards with 52 touchdowns on 595 carries (6.7 avg), caught twelve passes for 136 yards (11.3 avg) and returned six kickoffs for 140 yards (23.3 avg).

Analysis: Positives... Has a wide body frame with a thick chest, broad shoulders, long and muscular arms, large hands, big bubble and thick legs. ... For a player his size, he has very quick feet and agility, showing ease of movement and excellent balance and agility weaving through traffic. ... Has the body control to change direction going through the rush lanes and can cutback quickly when the holes are filled. ... Power-oriented runner who can move the chains and defenders taking the ball up the gut. ... Has the strength to break arm tackles. ... Not really a breakaway threat, but has enough of a short area burst to gain yardage bouncing to the outside. ... Gets through the holes quickly for a player his size. ... Does a good job of securing and protecting the ball before running. ... Not used much as a receiver, but in limited chances, he showed an adequate feel for coverage and the ability to settle in the zone. ... Catches with hands extended from the frame. ... Aggressive run blocker with the foot speed to mirror and will not hesitate to step up and take on blitzers. ... Runs hard and keeps his balance on the move. ... Has above average run vision and field awareness. ... Has enough knee bend and hip weave to set up and slip past defenders. ... Does a very good job of squaring his shoulders once he gets into the open.

Negatives... Needs to stay very low in his pads because at his size, he can be pushed back through the rush lanes if he is too erect in his stance (lacks good body lean). ... More of a one-speed runner who gets off the snap slowly and needs room in order to build up his acceleration. ... Does not have the lateral agility to shake off or elude defenders. ... Lacks a second gear, relying more on his power to break tackles in order to gain yardage in the open. ... Good run blocker, but takes poor angles and lacked pop when trying to face up to the edge rushers. ... Has good hands, but is an unpolished route runner who lacks the quick twitch agility to elude. ... Takes soft angles to the ball and does not have the foot speed to be used in a vertical passing game. ... Diagnosed with a learning disability and struggles in school. ... Takes several reps to digest the playbook. ... Because of his size, he can be tripped up by leg tackles.

Agility tests: CAMPUS: 4.52 in the 40-yard dash...36-inch vertical jump. COMBINE: 4.56 in the 40-yard dash...2.64 20-yard dash...1.6 10-yard dash...4.46 20-yard shuttle... 11.98 60-yard shuttle...7.53 three-cone drill...37-inch vertical jump...9'10" broad jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times...33 5/8-inch arm length...10 5/8-inch hands...20 Wonderlic score.

High school: Attended Assumption (Napoleanville, La.) High School...Standout running back who led the team to the Class 4A state semifinals as a senior, earning USA Today All-American, Orlando Sentinel All-Southern, Prep Star All-Region and Most Valuable Offensive Player of the Class 4A all-state team recognition...Louisiana High School Coaches Association Foot-ball All-Star...Rushed for 233 yards on 26 carries and scored a touchdown in the Tri-Parish All-Star Game...As a senior, he gained 3,022 yards and 38 touchdowns, averaging 8.6 yards per carry...Rushed for 1,783 yards and 18 touchdowns and caught three passes for 50 yards and a score during his junior campaign...During his last two prep seasons, he also returned eight kicks for touchdowns...Also lettered in basketball.

Personal: Sociology major...Son of Janice Jacobs...Guardian is Diane Cheavious...Born 7/06/82... Resides in Napoleanville, Louisiana.

Information provided by NFLDraftscout.com, powered by The Sports Xchange