1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

#132 - 4th Round - Dallas from Philadelphia, DE, CHRIS CANTY, VA

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Why don't you go watch the New England draft or something.
    PS where is ty Law?
    Was it Quincy or Hucth you lobbied for, REFRESH my memory?
  2. StonetheCrow77

StonetheCrow77 Member

876 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Both?

Notice that he didn't concentrate on Special Teams late this time around... amazing... after the way he threw draft picks late at CBs last year, this almost looks like a pattern developing... Have need - use 3 draft picks to fill it...
  3. Shotgun Dave

Shotgun Dave Well-Known Member

1,446 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    It's not like we were a scoring machine last year. I think BP must REALLY like our offense to have basically ignored it in this draft. Barber is a backup and we have to assume that Pettiti will be a backup - he may even have to go on IR, or at least the PUP list.

Meanwhile we've now got 46 guys to play the defensive front 7.

Seriously though, we have 4 or 5 guys who could start at DE right now: Ellis, Ware, Spears, Canty, Coleman and Ogbogu. With the exception of Coleman and Ogbogu, the rest of these guys are starting quality DE's. That leaves 4 absolute starters at DE. We ought to be able to rotate these guys through and blow opposing offenses out late in games.

We could move from a 4-3 to a 3-4 to a 5-2...IN THE SAME SERIES. I can't wait to how this plays out. The idea of Ware, Spears, Glover, Ferguson, Ellis, and Canty on the field at the same time blows my mind.
  4. te0002

te0002 Member

820 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Groh must have BP the tunmbs-up re: Canty's character, but I have to wonder about trading up to get a guy most teams were scared of b/c of his eye injury. Some med reports state Canty's detached retina may prevent him from ever playing football again. I like the guy, but not sure I like trading up for him. The Cowboys med. staff must have been convinced the eye injury was not career threatening.
  5. Compacity

Compacity Benched

656 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chris Canty
    DE, Virginia
    War Room analysis
    Vs. the run: Has exceptional size, strength and athleticism. Is powerful. Has long arms, and uses hands well to shed blocks. Plays too high at times, and struggles to split double-teams. Grade: 7.9.

Pass rush: Shows decent penetrating skills, but lacks a closing burst. Is fluid and relentless. Bats down a lot of passes. Is versatile enough to play inside at tackle. Grade: 7.0.

Initial quickness: Is not great. Lacks elite speed. Anticipates the snap well, but lacks an explosive first step. Grade: 7.0.

Run/pass recognition: Shows excellent diagnostic skills. Is disciplined, knows his assignment and executes at a high level. Grade: 7.8.

Pursuit/tackling: Is limited by lack of initial quickness and speed, but makes plays. Sheds blockers quickly, and gets to the ball. Is a reliable tackler. Grade: 7.1.

Bottom line: Canty has great potential, but shoulder problems early in his college career and a knee injury last season raise durability concerns and put his immediate ability to contribute in question. If healthy, he is among the most impressive prospects because of his terrific size, agility and power.

Dan Pompei analysis
    Big, strong end with good quickness and agility for his size. Is stout against the run. Has the strength to play the run. Can drive blockers backward or slip blocks. Knows how to use hands. Has a good feel for finding the ball. Has some lateral range. Isn't a speed rusher; probably won’t put up big NFL sack numbers. Would be a fit as a 3-4 end. Injured his knee for his final college season, and then injured his eye in a bar brawl.

[IMG]

Height: 6-7 Weight: 279
    40-yard dash: 4.80< seen at combine...

NFL comparison:
    Richard Seymour, Patriots
  6. Compacity

Compacity Benched

656 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    compared to Richard Seymour says alot...
  7. Pointguard01

Pointguard01 New Member

47 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love this pick. Any news on if he'll be avaliable this season? I heard we wont know if he's back to his former self for another full year but will he be able to play at the beginning of the season this year???