1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

15 grossest things you're eating

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Phoenix, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,065 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    Ha. As I began reading this, I was almost finished drinking a can of Orange Fanta.

Enjoy! I'm off to microwave some popcorn :D

http://www.rodale.com/gross-food?cm_mmc=Yahoo-_-ETNT-_-11_Worst_Burgers-_-15_Grossest_Foods

The 15 Grossest Things You're Eating

The stuff on this list makes rat hair in peanut butter seem appetizing.

Gross Ingredients—Not Always on the Label

Unfortunately, gross food has become the norm in most supermarkets, with packaged food ingredient lists reading more like chemistry homework than something you'd want your family to eat. But in many cases, marketers have figured out a way to keep toxic additives and disease-promoting food packaging off of the label, making your job as a consumer harder than ever. We're here to clear up the confusion and help you avoid some of the grossest foods on the market!
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I think the article got cut short. I don't want a membership.
  3. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
  4. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Never mind. I'm stupid. You just have to click on the arrows.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    What it is: Maggots are fly larvae, tiny rice-shaped creatures that feast on rotting foods.

Where it is: The Food and Drug Administration legally allows 19 maggots and 74 mites in a 3.5-ounce can of mushrooms.

Why it's bad: While maggots do have their place in the medical world—they can help heal ulcers and other wounds—most people think it's pretty gross to eat them!

If you need another reason to ditch canned goods, consider this: Most are lined with bisphenol A, or BPA, a plastic chemical that causes unnatural hormonal changes linked to heart attacks, obesity, and certain cancers.

http://www.rodale.com/gross-food?page=3
  6. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    By far it has to be Balut for me. It had me barfing after two bites of bone crunching, rotted liquid meat and feathers in my mouth. :laugh2:
  7. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I think things like microwave popcorn took a toll on me and my stomach. I never knew any better though. Anyway, I take to a number of different ways of approaching my health nowadays. It costs more and takes more time, but I either eat healthy or I don't eat.

'Cept I had a milkshake yesterday. And that was bad. But once a week or so, I do something like that just because I can.
  8. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Worst thread to dive into while eating lunch...:ralph:
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,065 Messages
    438 Likes Received

Sorry 'bout that...should have put a warning in the title :D
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Nah the title say's it all, it's my fault for even looking. :eek::
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Chinese food from this local place called "Jackie Chan".

I literally felt the effects of it for days.
  12. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I'm curious to know why maggots are allowed in canned foods and what purpose they serve. I found a maggot in a can of boiled peanuts years ago. Haven't touched the can variety since.
  13. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    The bad thing is this type of thing has become so pervasive that the only way to avoid eating stuff like this that isn't listed on the ingredients is to buy organic and that is very expensive.

Thankfully the only thing on that list I really eat is milk. I'd love to buy organic milk but I consume almost half a gallon a day so there is no way I'd be able to afford organic milk.
  14. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I think they are allowed because it is almost impossible to ensure that they are all taken out of the product before packaging. When I was in culinary school one of the chef's said that there is a certain amount of bug parts that the FDA will allow in peanut butter simply because it isn't possible to ensure none get into it at some point throughout the process.
  15. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I think most things are allowed because in reality they can't get rid of them all.

I'd heard a long time ago that a certain level of rat hair is allowed in peanut butter, due to the fact there's no feasible way to get it all out. I don't know if that's entirely true, but I'll bet the reasoning is the same for anything. I'd also heard of hornets or wasps heads in Fig Newtons.
  16. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    That stuff can make you sick really. I can't see why you'd want fly larvae in your stomach..
  17. hookemducks

hookemducks New Member

6 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ...and then there's all the wood pulp we've been eating. It's not necessarily a bad thing in that it does provide some fiber, but when I eat meat, I want it to be all meat, no water, wood or other...
  18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Does not hurt you maybe gross but maggots are protein and can be eaten as a food source.

Heck people use to eat all types of things in the past to survive that most people in the US today would never eat.

I mean how many people here eat cow tongue, chicken feet soup and things like that. I bet most of your grandparents did because they did nt have the abundance off food we have now days.

I also find it funny yes we have all this crap in the food yet we still live longer than people did 30 years ago.

It is all going to kill you fake, natural or otherwise
  19. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    That is crazy. I guess at that rate, it's near impossible to not eat bugs or some other nonfood-like substance unless you grow your own meats, fruits, vegetbles, grains, etc or you have a farmer and butcher to buy from.
  20. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Active Member

2,404 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Yep, my grandmother told me once one of her favorite breakfasts when she was young was cow brains and eggs.