1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: 1660espn:Mickey Spagnola

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 9, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,924 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Why does it always seem like Mickey is always against signing anyone? Every time you hear him talk the guy is always going to be too expensive and not worth the money that they're going to ask.

It seemed to me in this interview he's even against the idea of signing Carr.
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,176 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Because he's a JJ homer and thinks we can do it all through the draft.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,338 Messages
    4,296 Likes Received
    Because Spags motto is "If he's so good, why is he available."

If the guy is a good player, then he should never hit FA, because the guy's team would've tried to lock him before he hit it.
  5. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Perfect description..

and the numbers back Mickey up.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,338 Messages
    4,296 Likes Received
    Not necessarily, sometimes the team may like a younger guy more or the player is too expensive to keep based on the overall needs of the team within their salary cap limits.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    sometimes Mickey is so eager to toe the company line he falls down and breaks his face
  8. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received

That certainly happens, but they're in the minority. I think Mickey is referencing more to the first tier free agents who are usually overpaid.

The argument I'd use to counter Mickey's point would be the young players who's rookie contract expire and teams do not resign usually because they don't have the cap room or because they have an established starter already. Players who are in the 25-27 years of age range and don't have much playing time, but are still talented. Kyle Kosier, for example, when the Cowboys first signed him.

I expect that segment of free agents to grow in popularity in the future because of the new CBA rules ( 4 years rookie contract limit ). Teams are going to have to make decisions quicker than before and since most are very conservative, I expect to see a good number of young, albeit untested, players on the FA market.
  9. Sandyf

Sandyf Member

579 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Mickey's arguement would hold true if there wasn't any salary cap but the way the NFL is today, that isn't true. Players want to get paid more and free agency has allowed them that venue.

Remember the days when guys never hit free agency because basically a team held their rights forever.

Yes, build through the draft but the draft has never been more than a 50-50 chance of succeeding. Not many companies would ever be in business with those odds.
  10. rockj7

rockj7 Active Member

818 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Its been working so far J/K
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,814 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    Mickey's primary function is protecting Jerry. To that end, he always seeks to temper and level off expectations--whatever those expectations may be.