1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

18 Years Ago Today, "They're Brass"

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    In the days leading up to the 1993 NFC Championship, Jimmy Johnson took his bravado to the highest level it ever was in Dallas. He said that the Cowboys were going to beat the San Francisco 49ers. He was so confident of it, that he told the media, "Put it in 3 inch high letters, We Will Beat the 49ers."

This comment bothered the normally unflappable 49ers Head Coach, George Seiffert. He said of Johnson's boast, "Jimmy's got balls. I'll give him that. We're going to find out if they are paper mache' or brass."

When the final gun sounded the score read Cowboys 38, 49ers 21. It would be the penultimate game of Jimmy's career in Dallas. After the game he walked up to the microphone in the press room and simply said, "They're brass."
  2. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,268 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Aaaah the good times
  3. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,146 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    How I miss those days and having a Coach like Johnson that had a plan and spent every single second of his life executing it.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett is the same way. We just have a roster full of bad talent.
  5. JakeCamp12

2,146 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    casmith, I hope you are correct. I just feel the drunk hillbilly will undo everything any good head coach would want to do.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    I think people misunderstand the kind of relationship Jerry has with Jason.
  7. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

5,081 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Lol, ah man, those were the days :cry:
  8. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    The problem with thinking that is that there is literally no validation for it. Every coach who has been here says Jerry's bent over backwards to give them whatever they wanted. Look at all the FOBs Parcells got here for example. In 2004, Jerry wanted Kurt Warner and Bill wanted Vinny T. Who played here?
  9. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry need a coach with a big mane (like Parcells) to build his big stadium. Who coached here? ;)
  10. JakeCamp12

2,146 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Hos you could be right and normally I guess I am a bit more optimistic about the team, but after seeing how the Giants and 49ers played yesterday, I just don't think we are even close in terms of competing for a Super Bowl. Maybe I just very disgruntled about how poorly we played the last month of the season. I am sure it will pass...I just have zero faith in anything Jerry says or does...
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bernie to the rescue.

[youtube]ahHzlrqsLPc[/youtube]
  12. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,097 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Wow...first I had ever heard that. Incredible.
  13. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    If you make it about Jerry, it's about Jerry.

I make it about building something we can be proud of. I seriously doubt the Patriots, Giants, or 49ers believe as our fans do that this team is going nowhere and spinning its wheels. We gave each of those teams all they could want, and we did it largely without all of our pieces in place.
  14. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    I've shared it here before man. In fact cajuncowboy can validate that he and I discussed it way back in March of 2004. I knew Quincy was gone. Even Warner's wife intimated on a Christian radio station that she liked stars when asked about where Kurt might play.
  15. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are 2 sides to this fence.

Yes, Garrett is building something beautiful, or trying to and Jerry is playing nice-nice, for now. That's one side of the fence that brings optimism.

The other side that brings pecimism is that Jerry does things to undermine the team, whether he intends to or not. For instance, his talking to Garrett on the sidelines of the second Eagles game caused an unneeded distraction. Him saying how he makes all final personeel decisions as GM, and so it would make no sence to bring in someone to provide perspective because it might muddy things; well that's a disstraction too that undermines the coach. So is Jones always playing "chummy" with the palyers and leaving his door open for them, undermining his coaches as players walk past that dooor to go knock on Jerry's.

Jerry Jones = undermining distractions all around!

Yes Jerry Jones brought in Parcells and he walked away a year or 2 early. By his last years Jones was being more "suggestive" and Parcells wanted out before it got out of hand. Before that Jerry had stooges running the team because he could treat them like, well, stooges. Him later admitting that he fired Gailey too early was a bad move. No Jerry the bad move was hiring him in the first place.

Jerry does not get it, and because he does not he'll ruin it for Garrett the more he tries to help him - and help (ruin) him, he likely will.

It's about jerry - Jerry says so himself! Hence why pecimism wins out.
  16. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    The only people I have heard of who were distracted are fans and media. I've not heard a single player or coach say it threw them off their game.
  17. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Jerry should have over ruled Parcells. He is the GM and while he can delegate authority he can't dodge his responsibility.

Oh wait....... :rolleyes:
  18. Hostile

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    I wish I could say I understood the last line, but I don't.
  19. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Testaverde sounds more like ravioli than Warner.

Member Parcells is a Joizey boy

:laugh1:
  20. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder if john fox was distracted when elway was on the sidelines when they played pitts?:star: