1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

18 Years Ago Today, "They're Brass"

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 23, 2012.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,620 Messages
    1,382 Likes Received
    I liked that one, too. Jimmy's line about "They're brass" was also a response to the media. Jimmy didn't just come out of nowhere to make the guarantee. The media during that week was favoring the 49ers and Jimmy responded. A brash move, but it wasn't unsolicited like many of Rex Ryan's comments.
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,624 Messages
    1,155 Likes Received
    I loved it. I've said it before about Rivers and QBs and such but I love swagger like that. I love confidence like that.

I love that people can have some ego, and confidence, and bravado about them that they're not afraid to say "Hey this is what I'm going to do. Now try and stop me." I love that.

One of my favorite things about that time is when Emmitt, Troy, or Michael will talk about how simple their offense really was.

You knew that they had a handful of plays that they were going to run, and run a lot, and they dared you to stop them.

You knew the draw up the middle was coming multiple times in a game. Yet Emmitt and those Cowboys chewed people up with it.

3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4? You know whats coming. A slant to Irvin. Stop it if you can. Most of the time people simply couldn't do anything about it.

I loved that.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, that one is very underrated on the power comment scale.
  4. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jimmy Johnson did NOT make the win-guarantee and 3-inch-headlines comment because he was irritated at the media. I heard an intervview with him him where he explained that he feared his team might be losing focus that week leading up to the game. So he made the comment to put his team on the spot, and on the hook to bring home the victory.

The thing I loved about Jimmy Johnson was that he had tough-as-nails players who responded better with the pressure on them. So when Johnson feared they might be waning he turned the pressure on them with the guarantee.

George Seifert, and the rest of the mediots, took Johnson's guarantee as a slam on the 49ers. The difference was that these comments riled them up in a negative way. They got all tangled in them while the Cowboys players respondned by re-focusing on the game - as Jimmy Johnson hoped and intended.

And it worked. And it was a balls-y brass move by him and is swung like a wrecking ball right through the 49ers weakness.
  5. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The previous week, the Niners destroyed the Giants, whereas we struggled somewhat with the Packers, so Jimmy was probably just trying to alleviate some anxiety in the fan base while simultaneously motivating his players.
  6. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm telling you what I heard Jimmy say in an interview years later - that it was not about riling up anyone or distracting the other team or anything like that; that instead he was concerned that his team's focus might not be where he thought it needed to be and he made the comments to get their attention an focus.

Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but he was very direct in this interview to say something very verly close to what I posted. When I heard the interview (I was in my car and heard it broadcasted on local sports radio in Chicago) I was stunned to hear this explanation, because like everyone else I thought it had more to do with taunting the 49ers - as everyone took it - but on the contrary it was to light a fire under his own tean's butt.

God, I miss Jimmy Johnson. The man truly was a Master Psychologist coaching football.
  7. jesusdlg

jesusdlg Member

159 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    So true, I agree on this.
  8. NoDak Cowboy

NoDak Cowboy Benched

309 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "3 inch high letters". Such a great quote in our history.

So great, that fans are still using it to this day...
  9. Hostile

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
  10. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

Actually, they were pretty clearly mocking you for making an arrogant pre-game boast which blew up in your face (again), but I'm sure you already knew that. Not coincidentally, your ridiculously overconfident thread was quickly closed to spare you even further embarrassment (not the first time this has happened, either). Welcome to CZ, where the fix is always in.
  11. Hostile

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
    I know exactly what you were doing bbgun. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night and this ain't my first rodeo.

So I predicted a win and pulled for my team. Dear lord, I should be hung.

Yeah, I closed it because I knew you Westboro wannabes would act like the hyenas you are.
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

"It's okay to be obnoxious if I have the team's best interests at heart!"

So you can dish it out but not take it. Gotcha. Any other poster who ran his mouth like that with disastrous results would have been forced to take his medicine like a man, but not you. I guess rampant homerism has its privileges.

BTW, calling you out on your lousy predictions is akin to picketing funerals and compounding mourners' suffering? Only in your fevered imagination.
  13. Hostile

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
    We close threads all the time when we know people are going to get called out by bumps and people waving pitchforks son. Not just mine despite your very silly agenda.

I believe I got called out twice as I showed son. Gave links and everything. Are those threads closed? Were they squelched? Three times if you count NoDak's obvious little mocking comment since the first two didn't seem to bother me he felt compelled to try again. You think I didn't know it would come up in this thread? And which group of posters it was going to come from? Think again.

I believe I took that medicine like a man and let you all have your say. Once again a pathetic little agenda dies at the feet of truth.
  14. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bullcrap. You and people who think like you are the beneficiaries of an insidious double standard. And by the way, it's not "pitchforks" that you fear but rather accountability and humiliation. Last time I checked, calling someone out for trash talking gone awry was not a guideline violation. In your own words, "Toughen up, buttercup."

Gee, what do you know? Two more of your prediction threads that were "magically" closed as well. Like they say, it's good to be the king.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221975

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222200&page=4

Um, what choice did they have but to mock you elsewhere? After all, your original lame thread was prematurely closed. Free advice: instead of stealing from Jimmy, write some new material.
  15. NoDak Cowboy

NoDak Cowboy Benched

309 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're right. I am ashamed to to be a part of a fandom that includes guys like that.

But I do have you to be proud of. So I have that going for me, I guess. We should all strive to be more like you. The world would be a better place.
  16. Hostile

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
    It sure would. Guys who love and respect our military, History, traditions, and who look for the good in others rather than the bad is not a bad thing.

Good luck, and once again, thank you for your service to our country. More people should strive to be like you in that regard as well.
  17. Hostile

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
    I quoted Jimmy, so it is not stealing from him. I am surprised you don't know that.

Is there a problem with mocking me in this other way?

Like I said, we close old threads that are bumped for no reason but to mock someone all the time. Since you are not on the staff there is no way you would know that, thus you are once again speaking about things you know absolutely nothing about.

I loved how the flea flicker happened in the 2nd game. It honestly cracked me up. Brad Sham got a kick out of that too. Know what else? The person I got that info from, admitted he gave it to me, even though he didn't have to, and NO ONE felt the need to mock him.

Now ain't that just hilarious?
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Stole, recycled, whatever. Either way, you're a pale imitation.

Was there a problem with keeping your original thread open? Nope.

Those were not "old" threads that were bumped. On the contrary, they were current and worthy of further posts after the game ended. But your self-admitted massive ego couldn't handle that, so locky locky.

Right. I'm a guy who allegedly "hates" his fellow fans and somehow reminds you of a notoriously homophobic church, whereas you're just "fair and balanced." If you believe that, then I have a lovely bridge to sell you.

Wow. Second game? Too bad you never predicted that. Better luck next time. Hey, how come your reliable source never tipped you off about McBriar going on IR? "Dools" had the early info, but not you. Something to ponder I guess.
  19. Hostile

118,866 Messages
    2,644 Likes Received
    I thanked Dools for that personally. Great scoop. Saw your dig at me there too. I miss nothing.

Mine didn't? You know this how? I'll admit I did not know about the pending IR, but I knew he was having issues and the team was concerned. I posted about it in fact, and what happened? I got called out by one of your fellow goon squad. Not just in that thread either. He took it to other threads.

I don't share a lot any more because of the hate group mentality you, NoDak, and some others espouse. Hence the Westboro wannabes reference.
  20. NoDak Cowboy

NoDak Cowboy Benched

309 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh, now I'm of the hate group mentality and part of the Westboro people? I've got what, maybe 5-10 posts total on the subject of your questionable stories?

:laugh2:

Ok.