1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

1994 Cowboys

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Teague31, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    Just got done watching a show on ESPN classic about the 94 team. What a travesty... IMO that was the best team of all the 90's teams. Damn the mud in SF and Deion's PI on Irvin that wasn't called. Irving and Harper were dominant all year. LA and the boys up front were awesome. Haley had 4 sacks in the opener and never looked back. Pup, Woodson, Maryland, Lett, Tolbert..... we should have had 4 SB's in a row. Don't know if Switzer was the cause or just one bad game.
  2. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,009 Messages
    1,144 Likes Received
    Just one bad game at a really inopportune time. The players muffed early in the game... spotting the Niners 21-0 points.
  3. WilmingtonHeel

WilmingtonHeel Member

910 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That game makes me cry.
  4. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,009 Messages
    1,144 Likes Received
    I damn near did. That game definitely stung, and for a very long time. :bang2: :splat:
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    The fact we almost came back is usually overlooked. Spotting any team to a 21-0 point lead in the playoffs is almost always the kiss of death. No way we should have let that happen. Easily the most disappointing thing to happen that season.
  6. lane

lane The Chairman

11,061 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    i loved the way irvin absolutely owned sanders that afternoon. think he had like 190 yards receiving.

easily the most devastating loss other than the catch. :mad:
  7. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fletch, I definitely concur that Switzer was not the one out there in the 1st quarter giving the ball away on every offensive series, as it seemed to be happening that day.

I also do not completely blame him for the famous "referee bump" after the Deion PI non-call (incidentally, has anyone actually ever seen footage of the bump itself? I know the live Fox cameras completely missed it, but I wonder if there is actual footage anywhere, I've never seen it), as I was about as incensed as I'm sure everyone on the sideline was, and it was surely inadvertent contact that was overblown by the official.

Where I will always fault him and Zampese was the decision not to pull a badly hobbled rookie by the name of Larry Allen, who was getting eaten alive at RT by Tim Harris and others due to his immobility that afternoon. By the time Ron Stone was finally brought in, the damage was done.

I've never confessed this before, but that evening after the game, I looked up the team's main switchboard number in one of my Dallas Cowboys Weeklies, accessed Zampese's VM through the automated company directory, and left him a rather terse message reminding him that Stone should have been brought in a lot sooner. Seriously. And no, Switzer's was not accessible through the system, so I couldn't leave something on his extension.
  8. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That 26-7 victory over the Steelers to open the season was one of the sweetest and most complete games this team has played in the last 15 seasons. Actually, another excellent performance was the '97 home opener against those same Steelers in the same stadium. Guess we like them opening up the year.

I still have some of the stats from the '94 opener etched in my mind: Aikman, 20-32, 256 yards/ Emmitt- 31-171/ Irvin- over 100 yards receiving/ Defense- 9 sacks total. What a way for Switzer to open up his coaching career in Dallas.
  9. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,603 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    Had Jimmy Johnson been here, I'm guessing we would have won. Jimmy prepared that team mentality more than anything. Those turnovers were caused by a lack of concentration and preparation, IMO.
  10. 31hammer

31hammer Benched

369 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have been talking about that play for over 10 years now. And nobody has any idea what I am talking about. Sanders absoultuly mugged him. The ball would have fell right into Irvin's hands for a possible touchdown. But Dieon was hugging Irvin and didn't allow Mike to fully extend yet there was no flag, unbelievable. If I am not mistaken a touchdown there would have tied it going into the half
  11. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Deion was definately holding Irvins arms but how many calls did Irvin get away with during every game?lol
  12. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    [IMG]

A picture is worth a thousand words. Note how Irvin's right arm is locked up.

As far as Switzer...He could never beat the 49ers. The teams were evenly matched for years. Jimmy was the difference maker. Switzer could whup the rest of the NFL because he had superior talent (as he did at Oklahoma where he was a great recruiter, not a great coach).

The mistakes that were BAD NEWS...after regaining some momentum, moving in to the close of the first half, deep in his own territory with little time remaing, rather than run out the clock Switzer elected to throw the ball. We lost the ball on downs...

SF gets the ball back. Jerry Rice was left in one on one coverage and scored on a bomb from Young going into half time...a real back breaker.

And leaving Larry Allen out at RT all game was insanity. Guys just blew past him play after play. Knowing what we now know about Ron Stone (that he was in fact a quality lineman) it makes the decision to leave Allen out there even worse.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,116 Messages
    1,971 Likes Received
    I agree here. I had a VERY bad feeling before the start of that 9er game. I knew we were the better team but something in my gut told me we were going to be sloppy. I just sensed it and it happened.

The players lost the football, but you are correct when you say it's the lack of focus/concentration that really did it and that is the head coachs' responsibility in large part.

Everyone should be held accountable in the end, that is true, but you gotta wonder if that team would have been better prepared mentally if Jimmy were in charge. Who knows?
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    I can think of 3 super bowls that we lost that were more devasting than losing that SF game. 2 of which we should have won.
  15. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wasn't Dallas without Erik Williams and Emmitt that day? I think Blair Thomas was the back.

That was a problem, but I agree about Jimmy making a difference. They would have been a lot more mentally prepared had he been there. That was a pretty loose ship.
  16. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

2,500 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    But the calls just before halftime - i guess we closed the gap to 10 points - 3 passes in a row! That was one of the dumbest calls i have ever seen in my life. We gave the ball away with what? 30 secs to play and Young hit Rice for a 17 point lead. But the team had soooo much confidence. Even after that we fought back and almost won the game. What remains is that we were the much better team which just had a black day!
  17. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

On the Nosey...I think it was either Bradshaw or Staubach on the half time show who said, "That was the dumbest coaching I have ever seen"
  18. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chief, I think Williams was definitely out because he was still recovering from the car accident earlier in the season, hence Allen starting at RT. Emmitt did play but if you recall, he'd suffered that hamstring injury in the late season Monday Night name against the Saints and was in and out until he lost it completely late in the game. I remember that Smith later cited that season and the hamstring injuries as being major catalysts in getting him to step up his offseason training.
  19. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That play calling right before halftime was bad, I had kind of neglected to mention that.

However, one thing I will always say was that Larry Brown actually did not have that bad a coverage on Rice on that TD he gave up. If you go back and look, you'll see he was step for step with him until the last minute as they enter the end zone, and Brown's foot sinks into a soft spot in the muddy field and slows him down, while Rice continues striding and the ball falls right in his hands.

It was definitely that kind of day. :bang2:
  20. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

I really wasn't knocking Brown...just Switzer for putting them in a position where Young could make that throw...and also for leaving Brown in single coverage.

At times, Switzer coached like someone playing EA Sports Madden football.