1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2009 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by bkight13, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,418 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I was looking back to see how bad it was and it is worse than I remember.

Without the Roy Williams trade, we could've had
    1-Clay Matthews
    2-Adam Levitre
    3-Mike Wallace
    4-Henry Melton

I know hindsight is 20/20 but those picks would have been game changers.
  2. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,427 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    give the 2009 draft a rest... Everyone knows who we coulda had! It didn't happen.
  3. bkight13

2,418 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Some people aren't as obsessed as others and don't remember and rue every pick. I just looked back at and found it interesting that all the guys we are targeting in FA could've been ours. If you are not interested, don't open the thread.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Go ahead, twist the knife.

All of those guys except Melton where players I was complaining about us missing out on from 2009-12. But it really is hindsite at this point.

My other rueage is 2008 with our 1st round picks--especially Felix.

I guess we could have a rueage time limit around here. 4-5 years? 3 years?:laugh2:
  5. bkight13

2,418 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Everyone says you have to wait 2-4 years to truly grade a draft. I think looking back is needed if you don't want to make the same mistakes. Yeah it stinks to see what was missed but not at the cost of missing again in the future.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    No, I think it's good that we get reminded.

We should never forget about just how bad a deal that was and to be honest, the Cowboys need that even more IMO.

We did the same exact thing in 2000. That brought us the following in the 2001 Draft:

2 53 Quincy Carter QB
    2 56 Tony Dixon S
    3 93 Willie Blade DT
    4 122 Markus Steele OLB
    5 137 Matt Lehr OG
    6 171 Daleroy Stewart DT
    7 207 Colston Weatherington DE
    7 240 John Nix DT
    7 242 Char-ron Dorsey OT

Might be the worst draft we've ever had. Please, keep reminding us of how bad an idea either of those moves were.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    OMG
    Just shoot me.
    :shoot3: :ralph:

You just had to remind us.
  8. bkight13

2,418 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Plus 2009 was the double mistake of trading #1 draft picks for a WR after the Galloway debacle.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    These 3 are Free Agents. It will cost their current teams the same amount to sign them as it would cost the Cowboys.
    2-Adam Levitre
    3-Mike Wallace
    4-Henry Melton

It would have been good to have them on the Cowboys the past 4 years; however, the affect on the 2013 team is minimal. If the Cowboys had drafted them, they would have to pay them the same Free Agent dollars to retain them as it would to sign them in Free Agency.

For example, Mike Jenkins will be gone in Free Agency but the Cowboys signed Brandon Carr to a similar contract that Jenkins would require. The end result in 2013 would be:
    Brandon Carr with a 50M contract
    or
    Mike Jenkins with a 50M contract

Does it really matter that the Cowboys drafted Jenkins?
  10. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,820 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    How many other teams would say the same thing, if we didn't draft ... we could have had Matthews, Levitre, Wallace and Melton? I'm sure the Cowboys are not alone.
  11. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    That draft is a shockingly bad draft. About a third of the first round was flat out busts including 3 of the top 4. The hit rate was about 50% for the top 2 rounds of that draft and about 33% in the 3rd round. The fourth round has 3-4 players then garbage. The huge 7th round has a many good players as the 5th and 6th.

It was an awful year to employ a trade down strategy, but there weren't many sure bets early either.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,667 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    1995 draft was just as bad. If 1994 didnt bring Larry Allen it would have been a huge stinker as well.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,035 Messages
    2,265 Likes Received
    I think people should be allowed to complain about it.

Everyone gets hammered on draft day 2009 when they say they hate the draft and Homer Zoners say give it 3 years.

Well then you give it 3 years, it sucks, and you get hammered for complaining about it 3 years later.

No..

Now is the perfect time to whine and cry about it.

People scoff at "FANS" on here acting as if we could do better. I guarantee there is a lot of people posting on this board that could've done much better.
  14. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    That 2001 draft was horrible. As mentioned, we traded our 1st rounder (9th overall) for Galloway. Seattle took Koren Robinson, who ending up being a bust. It was a pretty weak 1st round after the top picks (Vick, Seymour, Tomlinson, Justin Smith). Guys like Steve Hutchinson and Casey Hampton went at 17 and 19. Reggie Wayne taken at pick 30. Drew Brees 32 (1st pick of the 2nd round). Chad Johnson 36.

I'm guessing the Boys, needing a receiver without the Galloway trade, would have taken Robinson. Maybe Rod Gardner who went 15 or Santana Moss who went 16.

With the above mentioned picks, the boys could have had these players:
    9-Steve Hutchinson or Casey Hampton
    53- Steve Smith or Shaun Rogers
    56- Adrian Wilson
    93- Anthony Henry
    122- Ed Hartwell
    137 A.J. Feeley
    171- T.J. Housmandzadeh

Looking at it that way, would have been nice to have a Steve Smith. But we had Rocket Ismail and Joey Galloway on that team. T.J. would have been a nice find in the 6th round.

Of course the team really screwed up on the #56 pick. Taking Tony Dixon instead of Adrian Wilson. Wilson was taken 8 picks later by Arizona and has had a very productive career. Oh, and Shaun Rogers was taken 5 picks later than Tony Dixon.