1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2010: Jahvid Best, Cal, RB (WR Convert?)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by casmith07, Oct 16, 2009.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,266 Messages
    2,691 Likes Received
    Alright, another prospect that I think we might have a shot at drafting is Jahvid Best.

He boasts similar size and build to everyone's favorite Wide Rue-ceiver from Cal, DeSean Jackson at 5'10", 195lbs. On top of that, the guy is fast. He also has succeeded at RB, but a lot of his success comes from his ability to catch the ball as a receiver and make moves in space. His athleticism, in my opinion, would allow him to make a relatively easy transition to WR and he could work very well as an alternative to Miles Austin as our "deep threat" WR.

I personally would love to see a WR depth chart that boasted Williams, Austin, Crayton, Ogletree, and Best.

Again, I fully understand that he's had huge success as last year's leading rusher in the Pac-10, but the Pac-10 isn't exactly known for between-the-tackles runners. His size, speed, and athleticism would make him a good conversion prospect at WR.

Opinions? Does anyone think that he will be a quick pick in round 1?
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    How about we just draft a WR to play WR instead of a RB to convert to WR or QB to convert to WR.

Stanback did not pan out nor did a RB we drafted to be a slot WR some years back from Ohio State (name escapes me right now).

So, let's just draft a WR to play WR and quit trying to be cute with project players and trying to convert them.
  3. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,651 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    Michael Wiley?

Jahvid Best will be a RB in the NFL. He's too talented not to.

There are 2 players I can think of that are college RB's that I think can be NFL WR's though. They are similar players to Percy Harvin IMO. USC's Joe McKnight (6-0, 190) and Miami's Graig Cooper (6-0, 205). Both are excellent return men as well.

My daughter plays in a womens college summer league at USC and I watched McKnight work on running pass patterns all summer. Not out of the backfield but as a WR.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    Yes Wiley..>Thanks, brainpaint had a braincramp.:D
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,266 Messages
    2,691 Likes Received
    I knew someone would bring up Stanback. Well played, sir. :)

I also do agree that he's too talented not to get drafted as a RB after taking a look at some of his stats in his college career. Wishful thinking on my part, I suppose :)