1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2011 NFL Draft: Looking Ahead

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by garyv, Oct 15, 2010.

1. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    2011 NFL Draft just looking ahead and hoping to rebuild the OL. My top two picks would be:

1st Round Target: Mike Pouncey C/G 6-5 320lbs Florida
    2nd Round Target: Joseph Barksdale OT 6-5 315lbs LSU
  2. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,691 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    I get wanting to finally address the o-line but drafting them this high pretty much means the Cowboys expect them to start or at least be immediate impact players.

Does Pouncey start at left guard for departing free agent Kyle Kosier? I can see that. I do not like Pouncey at center at all.

Where does Barksdale fit in? Does he make Colombo expendable? So now we have 2 rookies starting on the o-line? I'm not ready to give up on Colombo yet (but by season's end, I could be). Does he come in as a back-up tackle? I think the team really likes Sam Young and Robert Brewster so I'm not sure we spend a 2nd round pick on a 3rd stringer.

Both are athletic, young offensive linemen, which we need, but I want impact players in the first 2 rounds. I could go 1 o-lineman in the first two rounds, I couldn't do 2.
  3. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LSU seemingly has a prospect like Barksdale every year, and they always end up going much lower than expected.

Wiz in 1. Boling in 4.

Free Boling Wiz Brew Young
  4. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am all for that line up
  5. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LSU OT Joseph Barksdale has a lot to offer an NFL team from an athletic standpoint. He looks like a coordinated tackle who can bend, has some range on his kick-slide and can reach defenders off his frame in the run game. However, the guy doesn’t exhibit much pop on contact, lacks any kind of real punch to his game and just gives off some really soft/finesse vibes to his game. I have since talked to a scout in the region who said he just isn’t a real tough kid and to me he just seems like a guy who will have a tough time handling the overall physicality/rigors of the NFL.

let some other team deal with him

as for Pouncy - never like him an still don't
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I understand where you are coming from but it wouldn`t bother me if the cowboys spent 3 of the first 4 picks on the line. Sooner or later it will have to be done. The line didn`t get in this shape overnight and it won`t get fixed overnight. If the Boys invest heavy in the line this year , it should provide the core players for the next several years. For the next few years only a pick here and there would be needed to maintain the line. The 2009 draft would have been the perfect time to have done this but hindsight is 20/20. The only other option would be high priced free agents.
  7. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Or maybe not.....

Brewster was just waived.
  8. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,567 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    rather have the Sherrod (sp ?) OT from Mississippi St. Reports are he is playing very good and is solid in all aspects of the game.
  9. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know weird huh

oh well maybe Jerry will trade for Mankins - lol
  10. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like this kid also

I seen a couple boards that have Demarcus Love higher

but he can play swing tackle plus play OG

Love is one of the highly-rated tackles of the class because of his strength and athleticism, though it seems he is better served on the strong side or at guard than the left tackle spot. He's prepared for the transition, since Alabama's linemen switch sides of the formation depending on the play.

Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State 6-5/305/5.22 - opponent Auburn: The Bulldogs lost their conference opener to the Tigers, giving up a great deal of pressure up front (three sacks and numerous pressures), but Sherrod wasn't to blame. Manning the left tackle position, Sherrod consistently stoned his opponent in pass protection and was just as effective in the running game, often providing an initial pop to the defensive end before releasing to the second level. Sherrod was a step slow off the snap, at times, against the Tigers, but is a fluid athlete who generates good depth out of his stance. He has long arms and good upper body strength to jolt the defender. Sherrod plays on the balls of his feet and has good lateral agility and balance to mirror pass-rushers, including linebackers coming on the blitz. He plays with leverage and has the impressive core strength to handle the bull-rush. As a run-blocker, Sherrod relies more on positioning and athleticism than pure strength. While he can knock the defender back with his initial surge, Sherrod doesn't currently possess the elite power to drive his opponent downfield. I'd like to see him play with a little more nastiness, as well. Too often Sherrod seemed content with pushing his opponent initially, but not dominating as consistently as his size, power and technique advantage would make seem possible. Sherrod's athleticism, however, does make him a quality zone-blocking candidate. He is often asked to pull in this scheme, showing good agility and straight-line speed in getting to the second level. The Bulldogs haven't had a player drafted in the first round since 1994. In Sherrod, they have an excellent chance at breaking that streak. -
  11. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    What about DeMarcus Love of Arkansas/ T? Kris O'Dowd of USC/C

Love could be moved to guard. Pouncey looks like a player as well.

I just hope we draft talent and not a project that they think could be molded into something.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    After Brewster being cut , I guess that is one more pick that need to be used on the line.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I live in Mississippi and have watched Sherrod more than most. He would look good with a star on this helment. He is good as advertised . I like Marcus Cannon too. Cannon could play guard or right tackle. Would be a good pick-up in the second. Several more I am watching. Dallas would surprise me if they took any of them early.