1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2012-2013 European soccer thread.

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by windward, Aug 13, 2012.

1. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,385 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I take it Hooper was offside for the first goal? I was sat behind that goal and haven't seen it on the telly yet but did think there was at least a couple looked off. What an atmosphere there was in there last night, not been like that for a while. Looking forward to the draw in 7 hours. Milan, Kiev and either Galatasaray or Anderlecht would be ideal. Barca, Man City and PSG would be a nightmare.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    I am sure that was a fun place to be yesterday. Good to see Celtic advance. That is a good thing for the soccer world.

Barca gave up some idiotic goals to Real Madrid in both legs of the Supercopa and it cost them. Fun games to watch. Ronaldo had a great goal and Messi provided a wonderful goal off a free kick.
  3. joseephuss

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1853259.html

Iniesta wins Best Player in Europe Award

Andrés Iniesta has been voted the 2011/12 winner of the UEFA Best Player in Europe Award in Monaco.

The FC Barcelona midfielder, who helped Spain defend their UEFA European Championship title this summer, finished ahead of club-mate Lionel Messi, last year's inaugural winner, and Real Madrid CF's Cristiano Ronaldo in a poll of sports journalists representing each of UEFA's member national associations.

Iniesta collected his prize following today's UEFA Champions League group stage draw at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco and said: "I'm very happy to receive such recognition. As I always say, such awards for one individual can't be achieved without the whole team. So it's a sensation that I want to share with my team-mates at the club, and in the national team. It's recognition for the work that you have done well, and that people are proud and have faith in what you do."
  4. joseephuss

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    Should be a good signing for ManCity. They should sit him when they face Tottenham, so he doesn't get embarrassed by Bale again.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/maicon-joins-city-174315919.html

Maicon joins City

Manchester City have completed the signing of experienced Brazil full-back Maicon from Inter Milan.

The Barclays Premier League champions have announced that the 31-year-old has signed for an undisclosed fee on a permanent contract of unspecified length.

Maicon was one of five new faces manager Roberto Mancini was hoping to bring into his squad on transfer deadline day.

His capture was confirmed just hours after the signing of winger Scott Sinclair from Swansea.
  5. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,885 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Iniesta is so underrated its not even funny. what a player.
  6. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Maicon is(was) a beast! i like that move for city!

i really hope that dempsey will get moved
  7. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    i guess he just gets overshadowed, not being the best player on his own team and all
  8. joseephuss

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    I guess the guys that gave him that award as European player of the year don't think he is either underrated or overshadowed.
  9. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    messi isnt eligible for that award, being as he isnt european
  10. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,385 Messages
    159 Likes Received
  11. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
  12. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    in other news, falcao is good...
  13. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,385 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    Rather enjoying Chelsea getting taken to bits
  14. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    but people still want to tell you that la liga is terrible after the top 2 teams!
  15. joseephuss

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    Why is it dumb? The UEFA Best Player in Europe Award means the best player playing in Europe. I could understand if they called it the Best European Player Award.

Clearly Messi and Ronaldo are the best players in Europe. Being considered as the third best player in Europe behind those to guys ain't too shabby. I agree that his play in the Euro Cup really elevated Iniesta's standing. While Messi wasn't involved in that tournament, there were a lot of other very good players that did play in it.
  16. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    idk, the name just confused me a bit, when i saw he had won it, i saw european and how the euro cup played a big role in the standings, so i figured it was for euro players only. i hadnt heard of the award before today. when is the fifa award?
  17. joseephuss

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    I don't blame you. I hadn't heard about this award until yesterday. It has only been around since last year when Messi won the first one.
  18. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,177 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Athletic looks strong. Hopefully they give Barca and Madrid a run for their money. Valencia and Malaga are good as well.
  19. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,177 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Btw Dempsey is on Tottenham, effectively replacing Luka Modric.
  20. ka0tik

ka0tik DALLAS

2,885 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    btw - EPL > LA LIGA. la liga is so boring, its been almost 10 years since a team not called Real Or Barca won it (Valencia 2003). Atleast EPL, has more than 2 teams competing strongly year after year.

n why is ronaldo crying in real? ******.. lol