1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 MLB Draft...

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Risen Star, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

33,554 Messages
    35,515 Likes Received
    It kicks off tonight. Anyone watching? I've heard this is a lean year for prospects. At least at the top.

I believe they do the 1st round and the compensation round between the 1st and 2nd tonight. Rnds 2-20 are tomorrow. 21-40 are done Wednesday.

They've shortened it to 40 rounds this year.

2. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

2,078 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    I usually just look on ESPN for the Rangers picks. Is the draft on MLB network?

3. Risen Star

33,554 Messages
    35,515 Likes Received
    Yep. 7pm EST tonight. They have a preview show an hour leading up to it.

The other days start at noon eastern. I don't know if they're televised. I don't think they are.

4. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

10,164 Messages
    6,407 Likes Received
    Also it supposed to be on MLB.com. I think you need to be a subscriber there though.

5. WPBCowboysFan

10,164 Messages
    6,407 Likes Received
    I plan to watch casually.

6. Risen Star

33,554 Messages
    35,515 Likes Received
    I think that's the only way to watch the MLB Draft.

I couldn't name one prospect available without cheating and heading over to ESPN.

7. WPBCowboysFan

10,164 Messages
    6,407 Likes Received
    I've been watching MLB - at least the Orioles - religiously for almost 40 years and I cant tell you anything about the prospects either.

8. Risen Star

33,554 Messages
    35,515 Likes Received
    And it'll be years before you ever see most of these guys in the big leagues. The ones that even make it that far.

Plus teams only sign some of their draft picks.

I can see why there is very little interest in their draft.

9. WPBCowboysFan

10,164 Messages
    6,407 Likes Received
    Im actually enjoying it. But it is no where near as intense as the NFL Draft.

10. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

2,078 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Yeah, I love baseball (comes right after football for me), but I couldn't tell you anything about the prospects, either. The guy who everyone was saying would go #1 overall (Appel) ended up going 8 to the Pirates. Rangers haven't picked yet.

11. Risen Star

33,554 Messages
    35,515 Likes Received
    Rangers select Lewis Brinson OF Coral Springs High School, Florida.

Supposedly has a big bat. Just what they need.

12. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

2,078 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Can't have too many. I was just reading about him. He's described as an "elite" defender, too. Scouting reports say he's a legit player but he will likely end up keeping his commitment to Florida.

13. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

2,078 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    What are the rules? If a player ends up going to college, he has to play for at least 2 years. Do the Rangers have any special privilege when he re-enters the draft?

14. WPBCowboysFan

10,164 Messages
    6,407 Likes Received
    No special privileges unless they sign him. If they dont sign him then he is free game in the next draft he is a part of, as far as I know.

15. Risen Star

33,554 Messages
    35,515 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure you're right about that.

It's not like the NFL draft where you are essentially becoming a member of the team when the pick is made. You're basically drafting for the player's rights and the ability to negotiate with him and convince him to come on board by the signing deadline. If not, he's free for next year.

Signing ability is a key factor in those draft picks. If a guy looks to be a hard signing, he can drop.

16. WPBCowboysFan

10,164 Messages
    6,407 Likes Received
    The signability factor was the speculation on why Appel dropped some. He was considered a top 5 pick by many. Boras client I think.