1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: 2012 Salary Cap Update Post #107 - (08/21/2012) -- $5,137,214 under

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by AdamJT13, Mar 16, 2012.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Anything that is left at the end of the year can be carried forward into 2013.
  2. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Thank you.
  3. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,034 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    It's funny but when I talk to my friends about what the Cowboys have to spend I always tell them not to worry because Adam will figure it out.
  4. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    With Kyle Orton's cap number coming in at $1.9 million instead of the $2,566,667 that had been reported, we would be $4,324,189 under the cap before signing Connor and Livings. That's $666,667 more than what I posted based on the media reports of our signings.

I'll continue to update at the signings are approved by the league and I get the official numbers. Orton and Bernadeau are the only ones so far. (The number above includes the *reported* cap numbers for Carr, Vickers and Pool but not Connor or Livings.)
  5. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    And this is why if I ever become an "Official GM", you are going to be my first hire. Excellent stuff, as always, Adam!
  6. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,973 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I've never heard of that before, either.

Did something change in the new CBA?

The team did Terence Newman a favor by cutting him immediately so he could start visiting new clubs while the free agent market was still hot.

And yet they get punished by having to wait to gain over $6M in cap room the move provided.

Why punish Dallas (or any team)?

I know it hasn't stopped the team from carrying out its free agent plan, so it doesn't really matter, but I see no reason for this accounting rule.

On a side note, what's the 2012 dead money up to now?

$29 million?
  7. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,523 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Are you really being punished? You dont have to be under the salary cap until training camp starts, so you can still use that money.
  8. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,973 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    My understanding has been teams need to be under the salary cap the first day of the new league year, which is when free agency starts.

Did that change?

Teams were making moves to get under the cap last week prior to the start of free agency, just as usual.

Would they do that if the cap wasn't being enforced until training camp?
  9. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,523 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I could be wrong.
  10. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Teams have to be under the cap every day of that league year. The 2012 league year began this week.
  11. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,032 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Awesome information, your salary cap info is enough reason alone for logging into this site, I can no longer trust the media guys when they talk about the cap. Much appreciated!
  12. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    The cap numbers for Carr and Vickers are now official, with no changes from what was reported. So that $4,324,189 under includes the reported cap number for Pool (which might be $100,000 too high) but nothing for Connor or Livings.
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,069 Messages
    681 Likes Received
  14. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    If there are no voidable years tacked on, his cap number this year would be $2.15 million, and we'd have $2,564,189 of cap room before signing Livings and Ogletree.
  15. JoaquinFenix

JoaquinFenix New Member

87 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oops.
  16. noletime95

noletime95 Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Going to need to restructure more contracts if Dallas wants to do anything else before the draft. Not much room left.
  17. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    We save a bit of money with Kosier being released, and I think we could still restructure a couple more contracts, including Ware and re-doing Romo's.
  18. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,126 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    If we had about 2.5m, Ogletree's deal only will take about 200k off the cap. I haven't seen Livings numbers but I am guessing no more than about 1.2m-1.4m in cap hit.

With Kosier's money coming off, I beleive there will be about 1.15m in net cap gain, as he was on the books for 2.95m, his prorated cap hit is 1.4m and with taking him off you gotta add back a minimum salary to the bottom.

So it should be about 3.45m minus Livings deal.

Ware's restructure is readily available. Coleman is the most likely guy to the gallows if money is needed. And Spencer could get a deal.

We could make a quite a bit of money if needed. And Newman's savings are just waiting for June 1st.

Say there is 2m after Livings deal....Ware adds 3m, Coleman would add 1.5(rule of 51 again), Newman adds 5.6-6m. That is up to 12.5m. If we added 2.5m by signing Spencer long term, that is 15m in room. Rookies will take 2m....so 13m for emergency, other shopping if someone we like becomes available, and to carry over to next year if needed. Will offset the 5m punishment and then some.

And if we do decide to fight the cap reduction, we could be in for a nice bounty.
  19. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Wait, are you sure this is this true?

I thought the 2011-2012 year was the only year you could move cap space.
  20. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    You're questioning whether or not Adam is sure of something cap-related?!?

Really?!?