1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: 2012 Salary Cap Update Post #107 - (08/21/2012) -- $5,137,214 under

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by AdamJT13, Mar 16, 2012.

1. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Does all the dead money go away after this year or is it spread out depending on the player?
  2. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I believe it depends on the individual players' contracts, as well as when they are officially let go.

With over $2 mil in cap space, they have enough, then, to sign all of their draft picks prior to June, if they choose, without having to redo any other contracts, and could then use the money that frees up after June 2nd (for Newman) to either sign lower tier free agents to plug any remaining holes or extend an existing contract. I know they usually wait until training camp to do that, though, so the $2 mil could also be used to bring in a mid-tier free agent to fill any glaring holes immediately following the draft, and then use the money freed up from Newman contract to sign draft picks. Good stuff.

I do have one question, Adam. I noticed that both Brooking and Kitna have dead money showing on this list, but both of their contracts ended this past season. Does the dead money still count because of bonuses and/or escalator clauses that stretch into this year's cap (after the contract is completed) or what?
  3. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Other than players who were designated June 2 releases, there's no dead money for a future season until after June 1 in the previous year, so our only dead money for 2013 so far is $2 million for Terence Newman.
  4. AdamJT13

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Their contracts went through 2012, but the 2012 season was voidable.
  5. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Thanks. I figured it had to be something like that. As always, I appreciate the knowledge.
  6. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,029 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    Yowser.

So by the time the regular season arrives, the team will almost certainly wind up with over $30 million in dead money.

That's close to 1/4 of the team's adjusted salary cap.

Adam, could you give us an idea how much salary the team has committed for 20133 as things stand?

I know there isn't much point in looking ahead given the fluid nature of the cap and all, but it'd be cool to get an idea on things currently look.
  7. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,908 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Just out of curiosity. How did you learn all this stuff? Do you just read the CBA?
  8. Gregory

Gregory New Member

2 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks Adam ;)
  9. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Adam and Wulfman thanks for responding. Without the dead money and the expectation of higher cap figures in the future, it sure sets up nice
  10. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,741 Messages
    2,390 Likes Received
    Our dead money is going to drop from $30 million to $2 million next season?

Wow................I wonder if Mara is going to say we will have too much cap space next season and that might upset the competitive balance of the NFL so we will have to forfeit half of that.:laugh2:
  11. AdamJT13

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    That will go up when we cut players after June 1, such as during training camp.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,608 Messages
    1,569 Likes Received
    Roy $8 Million
    Bigg, Colombo and MB all $4 million each. $20 million right there.

Bigg was too expensive and MB should not have been resigned. THen of course Roy. Those three huge mistakes- without them we could have done so much better.

But on the other hand there was no one around to tell Jerruh otherwise at that time.
  13. AdamJT13

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Update (4/30/2012) -- After signing Jeremy Parnell to a three-year contract and before handing out UDFA bonuses, we are $1,680,856 under the cap. The UDFA bonuses will count no more than $25,000 against this year's cap. Also, our standard offseason workout bonuses should hit the cap soon. With 60 players under contract, that should use about $334,800 of cap room -- the actual number will be adjusted after the workout program ends, based on who missed any days.

The rookie pool has not been announced, but if it did not increase or increased very little from last year, our rookie pool should be set at about $5.64 million. If so, then signing all of our rookies would use up no more than $2.685 million of cap room. It should be noted that trading up for Claiborne increased the offseason cap cost of our rookies by about $880,000.

Finally, remember that Terence Newman's base salary comes off the books on June 2, which will give us $6.016 million more cap room. None of our draft picks will need to be signed before then.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,418 Likes Received
    There is also a possibility of a long term deal for Spencer which could take more off I believe.
  15. AdamJT13

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    That is correct.
  16. AdamJT13

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    By the way, Parnell's cap numbers are $873,333 for this season, $1,356,421 for 2013 and $1,833,334 for 2014. His signing bonus was $1 million. He also has escalators for 2013 and 2014.
  17. AdamJT13

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Our rookie pool reportedly has been set at $5,714,522. That means we will use no more than $2,684,522 of cap room to sign all of our rookies.
  18. AdamJT13

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Update (5/10/2012) -- After signing 21 UDFAs, claiming Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and Jake Rogers off waivers and releasing Brashton Satele, we currently are $2,045,361 under the cap. We will need no more than
    $2,659,022 of cap room to sign all of our draft picks -- and almost all of that (roughly $2.5 million) will come from signing Claiborne. None of the others will use more than about $75,000 of cap room, and signing Matt Johnson should reduce our cap room by no more than $146. (Yes, $146.)

I should note that Terence Newman still counts as one of our Top 51 until June 2, which is a change from my previous updates. The way that post-June 1 designated players are treated in regard to the Top 51 isn't clearly stated in the CBA, but I think I've been able to clarify it through a former GM. Some sources within the league don't treat post-June 1 releases correctly, which is why our cap room has been reported as being $465,000 less in some places than in others. On June 2, Newman's cap number will drop from $8.016 million to $2 million and he will be replaced in our Top 51 by a player who has a $465,000 base salary, so our net cap savings on June 2 for Newman will end up being $5.551 million.
  19. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    That's great stuff, Adam.

And assuming that Coleman is also upgraded this pre-season (reasonable possibility), along with the Newman savings, and maybe a long-term deal for Spencer, we'll be in really good shape if we want to extend guys like Lissemore, F Jones, M Jenkins, etc.

Let's hope we get back the cap money that was taken away from us as well!
  20. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    583 Likes Received
    So almost 7.6 m once June 1st hits. We will have a little space in the event we decide to do a little bargain shopping or have an injury. Would have been nice to have that extra 5m that the league took away.

Good to see we are sitting in decent shape after all that we have done and that next year we should be in even better shape.