1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2013/2014 Soccer thread

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by MC KAos, Aug 12, 2013.

1. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,496 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    with the EPL and La Liga kicking off this week, i figured id start this thread for those of us that enjoy soccer, if you dont like soccer and are just coming in here to insult the game and its fans, there is a button at the top of your screen, usually on the left corner, its an arrow pointing to the left, go ahead and click that, please.

anyway, who do you guys like to win the main leagues? the champions league? world cup qualifier surprises? etc

i like city and barca to win their leagues (im a fan of both, so thats no surprise) bayern to win the bundesliga, despite the fact i hate bayern, PSG in france, and i really have no clue in serie A, but ill go with juventus and former city striker tevez.

as for international, i think Mexico might struggle to make the world cup, they will probably make it, but i think it will come down to the last game or 2 of qualifying
  2. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Chelsea as much as I dislike them I think will be the team to beat this year in England. I think Newcastle might really struggle this year.
    Munich have too much quality throughout there team to not be favourites in Germany, depends how quickly they get used to Peps style. Schalke could be a dark horse in that league. I actually think Madrid will win the title in Spain this year and probably going to be Juve and PSG again in Italy and France. Dutch league should be interesting with a lot of promising young players coming through, PSV probably just about my pick to win there. Champions League will be the same teams competing in the latter stages, if I was going to put money on it I'd probably go Madrid.
    My own personal hopes for the season are for Celtic to get out of the group stages in the Champions League again or failing that a good run in the Europa League. I'd like to see Partick get a top six finish in the new Scottish Premiership with Kilmarnock getting relegated. Would be good to see Wanyama and Hooper doing well in England as would help the money Celtic could demand for any future players being sold to English clubs. Hoping that Werder Bremen and Nantes can push for mid table mediocrity and avoid being involved in a relegation dog fight. St. Etienne to push for a Champions League spot in France although the loss of Aubamayeng to Dortmund is a big one.
    In terms of World Cup qualification I think that Albania could sneak in.
  3. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Can you not edit posts any more?
    Anyway I wanted to edit to say that I think Serie A will be between Juve and Fiorentina this year. Probably will end up with Juve retaining their title right enough.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Ummm.... Chelsea! The special one with this loaded roster.... 4-2-3-1 is interesting with this group. Widely on record with my love for Lukaku as the 1 with so many great attacking MF options just below him. And Yes I know he is probably a 20 minute a night guy right now.

Man City will give us a run though.
    ManU with Moyes? I am biased against but expect them to fight and barely make for top 4.

BM in Germany.
    Think Italy is wide open (i.e. i like Juve less than most) so give me Roma for Bradley.
    Barca is gonna bounce back imho.
    PSG has about twice the roster of anyone in the mediocre(right now) French league.
  5. MC KAos

7,496 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    freaking EPIC!!

6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Me
    Mexico is interesting (to me at least).
    The US fan base is killing them.... google "mexican national team is missing". rofl.

De La Torre somehow kept his job....

I do really like the call up of Gimenez(sp?) for them.
    Definite upgrade as an attacking midfielder and Chicarrito needs the support.

I think they qualify but do they put it back together and make a real run in Brazil(i.e. elimination phase) or do they fizzle and leave with a point or 2?
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    hate LFC (even their American youth program which is a price gouging mess) but that is very cool.
    Not as good as Chels singing who the eff is Man United but pretty cool just the same!

The Irish singing is the best IMHO. (I am ancestrally Welsh)
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,229 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    Bounce back from what? They did win La Liga breaking numerous records in the process. They also were in the semis of the Champions League.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    It is hard to tell if you are just a troll or really believe what you post.
    Against my own better judgment however I will bite.

Barca was fairly well argued the best team in the world the first half of last season.
    Winning La Liga wasn't really a big accomplishment for them. Especially since they built a huge lead in the first half and limped home while also getting bounced in the CL earlier than expected.

The lack of defense and spotty goal-tending lead to plenty of down games for Barca over the last half of last season.

Maybe you know all these things and are being daft.

Or maybe you think winning La Liga is a big accomplishment to Barca even with Real Madrid playing fairly soft football.
  10. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Celtic do it better, in fairness Liverpool do it better than that at Anfield.
  11. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Barcelona have nothing to bounce back from, I'm sorry but what they did last season cannot be considered a poor season no matter who you are. By your logic every club in Europe bar Munich are looking to bounce back from last season.
    The bolded bit the more of your posts I read on the sport the more I think it applies to you.
  12. joseephuss

21,229 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
  13. MC KAos

7,496 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    italy/argentina and portugal/netherlands looks "especially delicious'' like my friend nacho libre would say. ecuador/spain could be good, too, ecuador isnt half bad
  14. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Belgium France will be an interesting game, a better indication of where Belgium are than outclassing Scotland and Wales in qualifying. Obviously I'm mostly looking forward to the game at Wembley.
  15. joseephuss

21,229 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    Are you attending that game? Or the under 21 game today in Sheffield?
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Forza Azzurri!
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    http://www.givemesport.com/358755-barcelona-can-they-bounce-back

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/08/barcelona-hoping-to-bounce-back-vs-deportivo/

http://betting.betfair.com/football...pect-barcelona-to-bounce-back-040313-579.html

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...as-lionel-messi-xavi-respond-to-bayern-munich

Plenty more links about Barca 'bouncing back'. In act there are over 5million google hits for "barcalona to bounce back".

The best club in the world (as they consider themselves) losing a VERY meaningful game 4-0 is devastating.
    Playing mediocre La Liga ball for a month plus is devastating.
    When a side runs off 50 plus La Liga points and misses only 2 the bar is set REALLY high.
    They fell off mightily at the end of the year.

Anyone arguing that Barca played at that level over the last half of the club season or into major tourneys the last half of the club season is plainly being foolish.

Please stop posting stupid things. It is a waste of time for all involved.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    ehh not really.
    Using friendlies to gauge much is always risky.
    With clubs seasons starting this weekend not sure who all plays many minutes.
    Qualifiers always give you more info.

France has lost basically everything it's played for half a year.
    Belgium is a prohibitive favorite.
  19. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    No, just watching the full international on the tele. Doubt I'll see any of the under 21 game.
  20. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Nobody said Barca were playing at the top of their game. People said that no matter who you are winning your domestic league at a canter and reaching the latter stages of the Champions League is not a poor season.
    As for your post about Belgium, France are clearly a team with much more quality than anyone in Belgiums group. Assuming both teams play close to a full strength team and the game is taken seriously you honestly don't think a Belgium win would be a better indicator of them living up to the hype/fulfilling their potential than beating Scotland in a competitive game?
    I do apologise for wasting your time, I'll try to make sure to gauge my opinions on the number of google hits a story has and the opinion of someone who seems to have made up his own nickname for his favourite team.