1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2013 Changes

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by alsmith, Dec 5, 2012.

1. alsmith

alsmith Member

296 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First, we need a couple of OL, Draft or FA, a RG and yes we miss Costa at Center, we need him to come back,

Then we need another RB, I'm not sold on either Dunbar or Tanner, we need a bigger RB for red zone and short yardage to help, not replace Murry.

Second I really think that Dallas will not win without playing a 4-3 D, the answer is pressure onm the QB and we are not getting that,

This year will be a great opportunity to do that, either let thhis team with Ware and Spencer could do if they did not drop into coverage, just do what they did in college play the DE abd rush the QB all the time, or either let him walk and draft a DE to give Ware some help and to put pressure on the QB, cut Rat or redo his contract, we have the perfect fit for the 4-3 with the people we have..

.....DE-Ware- ...DT-Lissemore ...DT-Brent ...DE Spencer or Crawford
    .......SLB-Carter.......MLB-Lee..........WLB-Sims........

Next we need a FS, now Matt Johnson was the FS that could play the center field that we wanted so let him play if not hurt and see what he can do, I'm not sold on Sency at S either, maybe Church replaces him..
    CB's stay the same, but I would still draft one in the 5 or 6 round if there..

that's all folks
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,038 Messages
    4,200 Likes Received
    There's too much that we need. 4 new OL starters. A DE and a NT. A RB as well as a WR with the potential to start down the road. All our backup WRs are slot types. We should strongly consider a TE for the future.

We must find a legit pass rush OLB. Maybe two. We certainly need a new FS.

Lots of holes. I'd focus entirely on the line of scrimmage but keep an open mind to those other positions should the opportunity present itself. And I don't mean packaging 1st and 2nd round picks to create that opportunity.
  3. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,598 Messages
    377 Likes Received

[IMG]
  4. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,420 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Here's what I think we should be looking to acquire. Trying very hard not to ask for the moon and the stars.

One stud OL, anywhere on the line
    An RT & a C/RG capable of competing to start (the stud OL may take care of one of these)
    Young WR with #2 upside
    True blocking TE

One DL & one OLB, one a day-one starter, the other with starting upside
    ILB for quality depth (we're still very thin here)
    S capable of competing to start
    Young CB with starting upside

That's two immediate starters, another two competing to start, and talent and depth elsewhere. Too much to hope for?
  5. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Re-sign:

Spencer
    Phillips

FA sign:

Jake Long (LT)
    Mike Wallace (WR)

Draft (in order of priority):

Offensive Guard
    Offensive Center
    Defensive End
    Defensive Tackle
    Safety
    Running Back
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Where are we getting all of that cap space?
  7. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Safety and Offensive line are the top priorities!.
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Which means Jerry will draft a lb and te :D
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,345 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I don't think we need Wallace, but I do think we should look to part ways with Ogletree and pick up a 3rd WR in FA.

In terms of cap space, I think by re-doing Romo's contract and parting ways with guys like Coleman, Spears, for example, that will help free up cap space.

I thought I read that cap space won't be a problem for the Cowboys next year, especially as a lot of dead money is rolling off.
  10. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,313 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Do not draft an RB in the top 4 rounds. You don't need to. Plenty of examples.
  11. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,069 Messages
    66 Likes Received

Yes but contracts increase, and I believe a few base salaries are increasing.
  12. Zordon

Zordon Infinite Crab Meats...

8,256 Messages
    2,980 Likes Received
    i will puke if we throw away our 2nd rd pick again this year. this team needs players...lots of them. keep the picks, in fact we should have done more to attain picks.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,345 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I think JJ said that we will have room under the cap last week, so that shouldn't be a major problem - even with the $5mm hit due the Mara.
  14. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,069 Messages
    66 Likes Received

I agree, but I would rather have the #1 at a position then reaching for the #2 at that position. I thought it was a good trade up.
  15. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,255 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    He is gonna turn the salary cap off. :D
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,873 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    You've basically built a perfect team and guess what? It will never happen in this league.

We just need to keep acquiring talented players, get quality play from the QB, and get better coaching.
  17. Risen Star

19,038 Messages
    4,200 Likes Received
    I didn't build a perfect team. I addressed the glaring holes.

We don't need to keep doing anything. We need to start adding talented players to both lines. If we don't, then you'll be in here every year blaming that year's coach as the scapegoat for continued failure from our personnel decision maker.

I'm all for blaming the coach when it warrants it. I refuse to blame any head coach for not winning with this slop up front.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,873 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    We'll have to get rid of guys like Miles Austin just to get some quality linemen in here and you'll still be blaming the GM for not having superstar receivers.

We have a bad coach.

The roster needs to improve but the best teams in this league aren't too far away from being mediocre.
  19. Risen Star

19,038 Messages
    4,200 Likes Received
    Yes. That's what would happen. I would blame the GM for not having superstar WRs.

Let's cut out the nonsense. Football is won or lost in the trenches. The Cowboys are weakest in those trenches. Our starting OL this year is an absolute embarrassment. A cast of misfits. I simply cannot expect any head coach to win with that. Even if I'm a really frustrated Cowboys fan.

I'm for a head coaching change this offseason. I want to change Jerry. Garrett doesn't do that. But he also certainly isn't the problem with this team. That's the weak, cop out, let's change coaches so all our scary talent can flourish excuse we've seen here for nearly 20 years.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,873 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Our OL is bad but we don't even make an effort to coach around it. We just try to win the 1 on 1 battles and don't use much scheme to help those guys out. Line up and try run right at them like we're the 95 Huskers and think they can't stop it even though they know its coming.

Meanwhile teams like the Steelers, Packers, and Giants can win Superbowls with scrubs all up and down their Oline.

Basically risen.. I agree that the oline needs to be improved but so does the coaching. Not a cop out because I believe both suck equally.