1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2013 Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by gmoney112, Jan 20, 2013.

1. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Just a sunday offering while I wait for the game to start. These are based on CBS rankings which I'm sure will change drastically after the Combine. Also, I assume Free will be retained, as much as that sucks but we have a lot of needs. Hopefully Parnell can surpass him on the depth chart or better guard play can help him improve this season.

FA signings:

DT Henry Melton. With Ratliff's injury history and the importance of the 3 technique in the Tampa 2 scheme, this is a smart move. With Marinelli's influence this will be our one offseason splash signing. Immediate upgrade to the defensive line and gives us the ability to release Ratliff next offseason.

OG Brandon Moore. Played under Callahan for a few years. Coming off an excellent season, has started 165 consecutive games. Only concern is age because he'll be 33 before the season starts, but he has the ability to come in and be an immediate starter.

Draft

1) S Kenny Vaccaro. Number 1 safety on our board, and a position that needs a premium player. Johnson/Church compete for starting SS, Church can also backup Carter at Will if it's warranted.

Possessing the prototype combination of size and athleticism to man the free or strong safety position in the NFL, Vaccaro strongly considered leaving Texas for the NFL after last season. Based on feedback I've received from league sources, Vaccaro likely would have earned a second-round selection had he left early and will compete for a spot amongst the top 32 this year.

2) C/G Barrett Jones. We need talent on the interior line. Can't trust Costa and Ryan Cook anymore.

Jones is typically characterized as a try-hard player who gets by with excellent fundamentals, and it is true that he uses his hands and feet very well to consistently defeat his opponent. However, while he isn't likely to cause anyone to compare his raw athleticism to former first round offensive tackles Tyron Smith (Dallas Cowboys, No. 9, 2011) or Joe Staley (San Francisco 49ers, No. 28, 2007), Jones is smooth and efficient when easing back at the snap in pass protection or getting to the second level. He latches on and keeps his feet moving on contact, rarely allowing his opponent to make the play even if he's relatively close to the ballcarrier.

3) DT Kwame Geathers. 355 pounds, a mountain of a man, and a classic 1-technique to anchor the interior. He's also an underclassmen

The massive 6-6, 355-pound Geathers played in all 14 games in 2012, finishing with 40 tackles, including five for losses and a sack.

4) RB Le'Veon Bell. With Felix likely to be released and the demise of our running game as soon as Demarco sprains an ankle, RB should be considered and Bell is a big, productive prospect that has the potential to carry the load.

Listed at 6-2 and 237 pounds, Bell is a powerfully-built runner who has the ability to break tackles with pad level, strength and quickness. He lacks ideal speed and gets himself in trouble when attempting to go east-west, but he has NFL potential as a complimentary back in the right offense.

Bell currently ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 11 running back, projecting as an early third-day pick. He led the Big Ten in rushing this past season with 1,793 yards (63 yards ahead of Montee Ball) on 382 carries (4.7 average) and 12 touchdowns. Bell also added 32 catches for 167 yards and a score.

5) WR Marquise Goodwin. Have to admit, I don't know much about this prospect but he's fast. I've wanted a PR that can cause mismatches on the field at WR due to his speed. Looks like he might be the guy.

6) DE Quanterus Smith.Taking a flyer late on a DE coming off ACL surgery. Had a 3 sack game against Alabama. Is productive

Smith is tied for the third in the nation with 12.5 sacks. He also has 38 tackles with 18.5 tackles for a loss and three forced fumbles. The senior returned a fumble 75 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter against Florida Atlantic.
  2. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I like it. I think I saw where Marquise was 5'8" or 9. But he could return kicks and punts with olympic type speed.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,783 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    Your Free Agent signings would be just what the Cowboys need and are reasonable expectations.

Vaccaro - I would be disappointed taking any of the safeties in this draft at #18. The difference in talent between Vaccaro and some of the other safeties is minimal, IMO.

Jones - Good. He is not super talented, but he will be ready early. The Cowboys must draft a Center. You just can't get one in Free Agency.

Geathers - I don't think he fits Kiffin's scheme. Kiffin wants 1-gap penetrators even at the 1-tech. Geathers does not appear to have the quickness for this type of scheme.

Bell - He would be a terrific pick in the 4th if available. I think he will go earlier, but who knows...

Goodwin - OK. He might be 1 of the fastest players in the draft.

Smith - Good pick. Very talented player, IMO.
  4. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I would be happy with this. I think Vacarro is a bit of a reach, I'd rather take a premium OL at that pick if one is available
  5. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If we are running a 4-3, why would we need a massive NT like Geathers? Especially after spending big money on Melton? Couldn't we instead use that pick to address the DE, OLB or RT positions? Just a thought. Not bad, though.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,006 Messages
    1,395 Likes Received
    Agreed. If we get Melton, I swap the first and third found picks...DL in the first and S in the third (rambo).

And I'd rather go with a Speedy RB than a power guy like Bell, but overall, I'd be ok with this draft.
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Given the youth movement on the OL (cutting ties with Kosier, L Davis, Gurode), I'm not sure we go for another OL around 33 yrs.

I think Garrett will look to stay a bit younger at that position.