1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2013 NBA trade deadline thread

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by MC KAos, Feb 18, 2013.

1. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    i figured its going to be interesting with only a few days left. rumors flying around, the main ones, at least in my book being a spurs fan, are as followed..

spurs getting jefferson for some combo of splitter and wing players
    spurs getting josh smith for kawhi and fillers
    clips getting KG for bledsoe and deandre jordan

i dont see the first two happening. i bet we trade Stephen jackson for something, but i doubt it will be anything as flashy as jefferson or josh smith. KG has said that he wont waive his no trade clause, but the clippers apparently think they can change his mind, he has a home in LA.
  2. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    The Clippers would be dumb to make this deal IMO, give up two young players for an old guy who is talking retirement? I've heard the same thing on ESPN but it just doesn't make sense to me to make this deal.
  3. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,965 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    Ya that deal will never happen. They don't even need KG.
  4. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    some buzz is starting to pick about josh smith going to the nets. Also, there are talks now that the lakers might be more willing to move dwight before the deadline. if i was them id trade him, depending on what they can get. i just dont think he is happy there and they are risking losing him for nothing. Unfortunately for them, they wont be getting anything like the nuggets got for melo.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received

I have not heard that the Lakers are willing to move Howard at all. I've heard that Howard's preference is still Brooklyn but I haven't heard that LA is willing to entertain those trade options. LA can still offer 30 Million more then anybody else so I am guessing that they believe they can just ride it out and see what happens. I would personally rather see them trade Howard but I don't know if that's what the Lakers are thinking.

They can still sign him and trade him at the end of the year. I guess we'll see.
  6. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    As a Hawks fan this is really bothering me.

Josh Smith has been linked to: Boston,LA,LAC,PHX,Brooklyn,Milwuakee,Dallas and basically half the teams in the NBA.

The only deals I'm interested in so far were:

LAC gives D.Jordan/Bledsoe for Josh
    SA gives Kawhi/Jackson for Josh
    and Milwuakee gives Jennings/Henson for Josh.

I have a feeling I'm going to be sad tomorrow/Thursday when we find a way to give him up for a bunch of scrubs though.
  7. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    The thing is the league knows they want to trade him b4 he leaves for nothing, so because of that the hawks don't have much leverage. If they don't plan on giving him a max deal, it's only smart to get whatever you can for him, so long as it doesn't affect your future cap space. So even if u only get crap back, so long as you get a pick I return, it's worth it for the hawks
  8. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    We have been awful in the draft lately. I'm not to thrilled about our chances and none of the teams listed are in the lottery most likely. I'd rather keep him and take the chance(however small it might be) that we can use him and the insane amount of cap space we have to lure Chris Paul/Dwight Howard or some other big name FA to Atlanta.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    Lakers stake future to Dwight Howard

By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com
    Updated: February 20, 2013, 2:10 PM ET

"We're not trading Dwight Howard. ... He will not be traded and there's nothing that anybody can do today to call me today and ask me ... and get a positive result."

Mitch Kupchak - General Manger Los Angeles Lakers

Click on the link below to read the entire article:
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-says-dwight-howard-future-los-angeles-lakers
  10. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    doesnt look like the lakers wont be trading anyone b4 the deadline, mitch is known to be pretty straight with what he says, its not a front or smokescreen.

from what ive read today though ive heard josh smith being traded is something like 90% likely.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    Yeah. Hawks front office believe that there is zero chance of re-signing him. I think he's gone. Shame too. I think he's one of the top players in the NBA. I would have rather seen the Lakers get him then Howard.
  12. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I think Dwights gone. I also think that Houston may get him.
  13. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received

Wait, you think Josh Smith is one of the best players in the NBA? I love him, but he just isn't consistent enough to say that. He frequently takes horrible shots. If he would just attack the rim, he'd easily be one of the best in the game. In fact tonight, he did a great job locking down LeBron James for the most part, he also had a triple double. At the same time he had 4 turnovers and shot 5 of 13 and 0-4 from 3. He loves to pull up from 18 feet and beyond when that just isn't his game. It's so frustrating. Fans literally boo the second he pulls up to shoot before he even releases the ball. It's that bad.

A big part of it is that he hasn't really ever had a good coach. I'm sure in the right coaching, he'd be unstoppable.

He has been slighted in the all-star voting for 2-3 years in a row now. This is his 9th season, but he is 27.
  14. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,280 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Looks like the Rockets jumped into things. Not much of an NBA fan but did somewhat follow the Mavs in their title run.
  15. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    In a way they do or they need a big man that can shoot. That was their weakness last year and it looks like it could be their weakness this year (although Blake improved his outside game a little bit) in a half court set.
  16. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    This is the reason why a lot of people like Smith because he has the ability to be one of the top players in the NBA if he gets the right coach.

Also, he really haven't played with a real pg imo. I think he would be great with a Kidd or Paul like player.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    If Dwight is gone, it will not be now. Also, if Dwight leaves, it would be a financial blow for him IMO. The Lakers can pay him 30 Million more then anybody else in the league. I'm not so sure that Dwight would walk away from that.

In another year, Kobe and Pau are gone. The Lakers are going to have huge cap space to go out and sign anybody they want. I would also suspect that they will have a new Coach. I am not so sure but if he did go, that would free up just that much more cap for the Lakers to us in FA.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    Yeah I do. I think he could work a little bit on his jumper from 18 out but yeah, I absolutely think he is one of the best players in the NBA. If he had any kind of structure to play in, I think he could be an All Star every year. I really like him.
  19. MC KAos

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    well, the trade deadline came and went without any major deals. gotta say im kind of disappointed, i was hoping there would be a blockbuster to talk about
  20. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    what do u mean? we got Anthony Marrow hahahahaha:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Blockbuster lol