1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2013 Nfl Draft: Holiday Bowl Preview - Baylor Vs. Ucla

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Dec 27, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,398 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Nick Florence, QB, Baylor - #11, 6’1, 205
    It’s not easy replacing a talent and phenom like Robert Griffin III, but Nick Florence sure made it look easy in 2012 by nearly duplicating Griffin’s production with 4,652 yards of total offense and 40 total touchdowns. Lacking elite level measurables, Florence may never be viewed as a potential NFL starter, but that isn’t to say he doesn’t have a place in the NFL. As a clipboard holder and backup that can start in a pinch, Florence’s bright football mind, ability to read coverages properly and diagnose the play quickly should endear him to teams and give him an outside shot at being drafted next April. More than a game manager and more of an athlete than often credited for, don’t be surprised if Florence runs in a few touchdowns of his own en route to a strong showing against this UCLA defense.

Lanear Sampson, WR, Baylor - #3, 5’11, 200
    Though Sampson plays a secondhand role behind Terrence Williams, don’t mistake the 5th year senior for anything less than a legitimate NFL draft prospect. Well put together at 200 pounds and an explosive vertical threat that can stretch the field with sub 4.4 speed, Lanear Sampson could very well be a better pro than collegiate player. Excellent at tracking the deep ball and soft handed at the catch point, Sampson plays much bigger than his actual height by extending and attacking the football away from his frame. I expect to see Sampson’s current streak of 42 games with a reception, extend to 43 after tonight’s matchup versus the UCLA Bruins. A 6th or 7th round pick that should stick on a roster, don’t be surprised if Sampson ends up producing right away at the next level.

Terrence Williams, WR, Baylor - #2, 6’3, 205
    Dominating vertically with a “plus” combination of speed and size, Williams broke the receiving records set by former teammate Kendall Wright in 2011, recording 95 receptions for a total of 1,764 yards and 18 touchdowns in this past season. At his best running what scouts refer to as a “bang 8” pattern, also known as a “skinny post”, Williams sells a vertical stem before breaking to the near goal post, anticipating an early throw to beat the (likely) safety help over the top.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draf...raft-holiday-bowl-preview-baylor-vs-ucla.html
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,398 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Two intriguing mid to late round types that could help the Cowboys IMO. A WR that scares defenses deep and a productive 5 technique DE.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    4,876 Likes Received
    I need to check out Sampson. Sub 4.4 speed at 200 lbs is good.

Datone Jones would be good at some point in the draft. I have no idea where he will actually get drafted.

Also, I like Franklin around the 5th round if the Cowboys don't draft a RB earlier.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    I also really like Jones. I'll also be looking out for Fauria. Not sure what round he's slated to go in at this point, but he would intrigue me in the 5th.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,398 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Can always use a red zone mismatch. Not sure what kind of a blocker he is.
  6. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    UCLA homer here and I would pass on Fauria. He should/could dominate but he sleep walks through most plays. Franklin and Jones are the two guys that I would not mind at all if the Cowboys drafted. As for Baca, stay away he is starting simply because there is no other option.
  7. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I would add UCLA OLB Anthony Barr to the watch list. He is a junior and will probably return but 13 1/2 sacks for the year
    could give him a second round grade. 6'4' and about 240lbs.
  8. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    I just assumed his #'s weren't great because of how bad the QB play of UCLA has been.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    TD Fuaria. I like him a lot, more of a WR than a TE really. Fits the mold of a Tony Scheffler or Scott Chandler. Like I said, if hes there in the 5th Im taking a long hard look. He can be a useful weapon in the shotgun spread. Get him 1 on 1 in space and as long as the QB puts the ball up in the air where he can use his near 7' wingspan hes extremely difficult to cover. Also being 6'7 is always good in the redzone.
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received

I'd rather have Jack Doyle from Western Kentucky
  11. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Any decent video/highlights on him? Only thing I could find was from high school. Just from that I can tell he's very athletic though.

I also really like what I saw from Tracis Kelce. 6'6 260 and very athletic. Was recruited as a QB and even saw some time as a wildcat QB early in his career at Cinci. Younger brother of the Eagles o-lineman Jason Kelce.
  12. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    He has a video for his sophmore year and a few catches and interviews....but nothing else that I could find on you tube.

Still, the guy can get open and catch the ball. Also, he is a solid blocker, not great, but solid. If we choose to move on from Phillips, Doyle would be a very nice replacement.

I would definitely love to have Witten, Hanna, and Doyle as our TE group. Nothing against Phillips, but IMO he has reached his ceiling and I would rather have Doyle.
  13. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,601 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    IMO Ivory Wade will be a better pro center than OG/RT. Another Baylor OL that I really like is OG Cyril Richardson (6'5 335). Richardson is a very skilled pass protector but he has some nastiness and heavy hands as a run blocker too. Not to mention he has nimble feet for his size.
  14. xwalker

12,330 Messages
    4,876 Likes Received
    With Hanna on the roster as the super athletic developmental receiving type TE, I think that Garrett will be looking for a top notch blocking TE.

Baca looked terrible in the games that I watched.

Some projections have/had him as a mid-1st, but there was an announcement that an official announcement would be coming that he was staying in school.

Will Richardson be entering the 2013 draft?

15. xwalker

12,330 Messages
    4,876 Likes Received
    What's the deal with Ivory Wade?

He looks like a decent prospect at OC, but NFLDS has him rated as the 20th OC and the #601 overall player.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,398 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Fauria looks like a much better prospect than Phillips to me. I'd rather just use an extra O Lineman like Parnell than have a blocking TE on the roster.
  17. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,735 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I too like what Jonathan Franklin would bring to the table here if Dallas drafts him but we shall see.
  18. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,601 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    He has moved around the OL too much. He has experience playing RT, OG and C - but no consecutive years playing one position. But his versatility and intelligence is why I am so intrigued.

And their is a good chance that Cy Richardson comes out this draft.