1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2014 Indianapolis 500 thread

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by BigDGarciaFan, Apr 2, 2014.

1. BigDGarciaFan

BigDGarciaFan Member

223 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    i know everyone is into the Indy 500, its the biggest sporting event of Memorial Day weekend. i know everyone will watch
  2. Keifer

Keifer Active Member

196 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Are you wanting to discuss the 500? No offense but I cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or if you want to talk about the race.

I will absolutely be watching and hoping Marco overcomes the Andretti curse and does what his dad never could and his grandpa only did once in his career.
    BigDGarciaFan likes this.
  3. BigDGarciaFan

BigDGarciaFan Member

223 Messages
    18 Likes Received
  4. Keifer

Keifer Active Member

196 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Its good to see Dario is doing ok. Its a shame he had to end his career the way he did, that crash was horrific.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,989 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    BigDGarciaFan likes this.
  6. Keifer

Keifer Active Member

196 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I never have liked Kurt as a person but that dude can drive a race car, I think he will do well.

I always liked it when Gordon, Andretti and Stewart did the double. It kinda goes back to the old days of Mario and Foyt when it didnt matter what kind of car it was you just strapped in and drove the wheels off of it.
    jobberone and BigDGarciaFan like this.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,115 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    sad to see how far the Indy circuit fell just because of the stupidity and greed of the owners and race tracks. They will never regain what they lost.

I used to go to the time trials; when there were four days of it. Years ago it was frankly sometimes more interesting then the race was.

Now sadly it is all so diminished.
    jcollins28, WPBCowboysFan and Keifer like this.
  8. Keifer

Keifer Active Member

196 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Youre right. The best days of Indy cars are long gone and their not coming back, all thats left are a few die hard fans and empty stands (with the exception of Indy). I never would have imagined that the series could fall so far so fast and become basically irrelevant. If I ever meet Tony George its going to take every ounce of self control I have not to kick him square in the balls for implementing the 25-8 rule that started the war that eventually killed the series.
    jcollins28 likes this.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,115 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    There has never been a Hulman worth a bucket of warm spit.
    jcollins28 likes this.
  10. BigDGarciaFan

BigDGarciaFan Member

223 Messages
    18 Likes Received
  11. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,832 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I may be at the race this year
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,258 Messages
    2,821 Likes Received
    I remember very well when the Indy 500 used to be a big deal. When Indy car racing in general was a big deal. I miss those days and don't ever think they will return. NASCAR so dominates car racing now is unbelievable to an old timer like me.

For those older Indy car fans, ESPN Classic might show some of the old Indy 500 races again this year. I haven't looked into it yet but last year they aired most if not all of the older races. Watching those sure brought back some memories. If I recall, the week leading up to Memorial Day is when they were shown. Good stuff.
  13. BigDGarciaFan

BigDGarciaFan Member

223 Messages
    18 Likes Received
  14. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,802 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    Its fun to watch the start of the race for about 20-30 laps and then go do something and come back and watch the last 20-30 laps.

Like some have posted, its just not what it once was. A real shame, but NASCAR really stole their thunder. Now NASCAR isnt as good as it once was. I enjoy NHRA the most of them all now. Still the same old good stuff and nothing can compare with a TF car making a blast.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,617 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    I'm going with Montoya.
  16. Keifer

Keifer Active Member

196 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Montoya in a Penske car at Indy is going to be tough to beat.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,617 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    Indeed.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,205 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Living here in New Mexico, Indy Racing was big time, because of the Unser/Penski influences. The days of Unser, Foyt, Rahal, Sneva, Ruthaford, Johncock, Fittipaldi, Andretti and Mears are long since past. That was truly a golden age for Indy and for racing in general IMO.

I'm truly sorry to see it go.
  19. BigDGarciaFan

BigDGarciaFan Member

223 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    stop being negative, we should appreciate the great memorial day sunday spectacle, that what the legends of indy would want us to do
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,205 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    You had better luck trying to get me to turn off my fridge on National Save the Whales by killing the power day or whatever it was.

LOL.....
    jobberone and RastaRocket like this.