1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2014 supplemental draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Gordon...kinda
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,433 Likes Received
    The results are in...
    No players were taken in this year's supplemental draft.
  3. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,978 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    the one who is suspended? right?
  4. CowboysFaninDC

2,978 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    wow, the one in the hall of fame?

and that proves my point. now we were able to get 1,2,3 for him. but as a player he was very undistinguished and flamed out very fast....

there is a reason these players get into the supplemental. else they would be in the draft or go back to school and get drafted high the year after......
  5. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Correct.
  6. CowboysFaninDC

2,978 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    and there are reasons that these guys don't declare for the draft, or are risks or don't stay in school to get drafted the year after....
  7. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,822 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    so are the players in the supp draft now free agents since they weren't drafted? does this mean any team can try to sign them now? if so, we should go after Ross hard.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,688 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    Saw yesterday on line he is working out for the Bungles and a few other teams (not the Cowboys). Apparently considered more of a 3-4 type. Thought they might give the LB from UNC a look or RB who went undrafted.
  9. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,420 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Cris Carter. HOF WR
  10. CowboysFaninDC

2,978 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    thanks for making my point. one out of how many? there is high risk with giving up a premium pick for supplemental draft. I can give you a long list of picks and premium picks that didn't pan out.

unless you are a gambler or think lottery is a good option for a retirement plan.
  11. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,521 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    How is that any different from the regular draft?
  12. CowboysFaninDC

2,978 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    ok, lets go back to the beginning of my responses.

I said I wouldn't spend high draft picks on supplemental draft. I didn't say I wouldn't spend any lower round picks.

most often the supplemental draft is for those who probably have multitude of issues that didn't qualify them for the regular draft or they didn't want to go back to school, etc.l. usually they have some kind of red flag, either academic, personal, eligibility, etc. they are not seniors, which also means there is less film on them. these are guys who choose not to go back to school.

usually the pool of draftees for the regular draft is better. either more film. they have been through combine, personal workouts, etc. its less risky, although there is always a risk with any draft, its higher risk with supplemental.