1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

23 Pounds lost so far

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, May 25, 2014.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,100 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received

Hey Rev.... How we doing?

Looking for status from you...

Me: not focusing on weight right now... Mostly focused of flattening stomach. Lost about an inch to inch and half on waist. Went from 37-38(caught between two sizes) waist to 36 in little over a month.
  2. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,453 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    I wonder, would you find genetic dyslipidemia, more in American than the rest of the world? I am wondering if it has to do with the diet here?
  3. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

848 Messages
    271 Likes Received
    Keep in mind that this problem is multifactoral. Diet, % body fat, conditioning, and genetics all play a part in the development of atherosclerosis. There are varying degrees of inherited vascular disease worldwide, but the USA has one of the highest rates of morbidity and mortality due to our poor diet, lack of exercise, and obesity.

On the other hand, a segment of my obese patient population does not have abnormal lipids, so they are not mutually inclusive. The point is you cannot necessarily simply diet or exercise all of your problems away.
  4. CashMan

1,453 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    I agree with your point. I am trying to ask, the diet in the US(unless eating unprocessed) and most processed food, has a common ingredient. I am wondering with this ingredient, coupled with GMOs, has changed peoples DNA to be prone to having genetically higher cholesterol?

A little background, I weighed 350lbs back in January 2013, at the tender age of 27. I was having breathing issues(sinusitis), turned out to be food allergies, most notably, something that is in most processed food. I stopped eating processed food, and eliminated a few other allergies, and I am down to 260lbs, and still losing weight(without exercise).

Now, I have not been to a cardiologist to check on cholesterol, but I am wondering if what is grown in the Midwest and how food is made, has changed us to be more prone to this?
  5. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I've temporarily suspended working out due to a nasty cold, but have kept to the strict vegetarian diet. My 38-inch waist pants are so big for me they look ridiculous. I have some 36s that are also too big. I'll need to shop for new clothes soon. The pounds are still coming off.

I can't wait for this cold to be over so that I can resume my workouts.
  6. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

848 Messages
    271 Likes Received
    No, there is not any evidence that the western diet has led to genetic mutations. However, we do know that many substances found in the environment (mostly man-made) will cause changes in cellular division and regulation properties, leading to cancer.

For example, much research has been done on the carcinogenic nature of cigarette smoke.
    Those studies have revealed that hundreds of chemical compounds are absorbed into the bloodstream, increasing the incidence of the top 7 types of cancer tenfold, and also creating vascular changes which cause atherosclerotic patients to have stroke and heart attack risk increased by a factor of twenty.

It is therefore conceivable that non-food substances that we inadvertently ingest may have unintended consequences that we have not identified, but none have been found to alter the genetic code.
  7. REDVOLUTION

25,100 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Wow. Me too. Just getting over cold now.

Nice going on waist reduction. :)
  8. CashMan

1,453 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    I appreciate your answer. Thank you.
  9. FloridaRob

FloridaRob Well-Known Member

1,453 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    congrats. I am on the same program. I have to lose a lot of weight. I promised my grandson that I would ride the Hulk with him as soon as I lost about 70 lbs. (that in itself should be enough to go eat a gallon of ice cream) Started May 1 and am down 14 lbs. 56 more to go. I am doing it slow tho. I gave myself a year to do it. I will celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary then too so hoping to get there. Eating healthy and doing at least 45 minutes of cardio every day. Not craving anything now. The more I eat good, the more good food I want.
  10. REDVOLUTION

25,100 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    If you stay disciplined.
    If you cut out the foods that literally bloated you.

You will do it less than a year.
    You would be surprised how much extra weight we maintain just be eating whatever we want. Then we stop and it drops.
  11. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    I'm cheering for you my man.
    100% Serious.
    My wife is what you could call a competitive athlete and she entirely believes in the lifestyle you've been endeavoring into.
    She's in incredible shape and happy as heck regarding her diet (which isn't strict, just a principle) and health routine.
    I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and I've always maintained pretty good health, but as I'm getting older- it's getting harder.
    I have to do more than I used to just to maintain what I want.
    I delve into the vegan diet frequently for months at a time and Yoga is hardcore. Not for the weak.
    I find it to be a thoroughly enjoyable way to live and I hope you are able to get back to being tip top.

Peace my friend.
  12. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    That's great! Keep it up. I have a couple big motives. I've already talked about my health and getting my cholesterol down. The other is my 50th birthday, which is coming up on September 29th. I want to celebrate it looking my best. **** getting old and being all frail and struggling through life. I want to live and live well.
    Corso likes this.