1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

25 People at the heart of the meltdown

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by masomenos, Jan 26, 2009.

1. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    I notice people who lived beyond their means did not make the list. You know those who buy homes they could not afford or use their credit card like it was magic money. I agree others share in the blame but a big portion in my view goes right on the back of the uncontrolled consumer who refused to live within their own means.
  3. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Actually, they did make the list...

4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,302 Messages
    1,996 Likes Received
    GREED. On both the borrowers and lenders. And political advantage by the politicians.
  5. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    The best profile I have seen/heard about the whole meltdown was the one that was done for This American Life on NPR. If you can grab that podcast and give a listen to it, do it. I heard it on the radio when it originally aired and it was excellent. They interviewed and profiled people from every level of the process..the borrowers, the loan officers, all the way on up to executives at some of these firms (the ones that would talk to them, that is) and it really illustrates exactly how all of this happened.

obviously. But this tells you exactly what went on and how it was done. It's pretty shocking.
  6. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I love This American Life, but I missed that episode, I'll have to check it out.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,477 Messages
    1,403 Likes Received
    GREAT show, NPR does a lot of good stuff in general, but I'm a huge fan of TAL.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,302 Messages
    1,996 Likes Received
    I bet they had few details on all the political chicanery and pressure by certain members of congress to get rid of so called "discriminatory" qualifying limitations.
  9. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,070 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    And I bet you were never redlined. If they redlined Mel Renfro, they'd redline anyone.
  10. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

15,451 Messages
    2,655 Likes Received
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmmm. Barney Frank and the former CEOs of Fannie and Freddie strangely absent. Then again, this is The Guardian.
  12. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

15,451 Messages
    2,655 Likes Received
    This a valid point.
  13. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    With people like Clinton, Phil Graham and Chris Dodd on the list, you're not really claiming liberal bias are you?
  14. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,389 Messages
    1,832 Likes Received
    They could have put this one higher up on the list:

15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,408 Messages
    5,939 Likes Received
    You forget Soros?
  16. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,389 Messages
    1,832 Likes Received
    Graham was a Republican senator responsible for a good bit of the deregulation that caused the housing bubble.
  17. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Oops, let's pretend I meant to put Soros on there instead. :eek::
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Um, Graham was a Rep Senator. Trying to dissect this crisis without pointing an accusatory finger at Frank or his buddies at FM is like omitting John Wilkes Booth from a Lincoln assassination seminar. Innocent oversight? Don't see how.
  19. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Benched

420 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    or they could eliminate individuals and make the list a much more succinct two words:

Peak... Oil...

this is a controlled demolition so as to fold the planet into a one-world monetary system in the face of overpopulation and energy scarcity... anyone who insists that's mere "craaaaazy talk" quite usually isn't paying attention to the specific indicators of the past 20 years....
  20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,749 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    I caught it. It was extremely informative although the details now escape me.