1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2nd Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Silverstar, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    1. CB/KR Devin McCourty 5-11 193 Rutgers - I think the Cowboys were very excited by Jenkins' play last year and could draft another CB to groom this year. I know we have Scandrick in the wings, but McCourty has sub 4.4 speed too and is an excellent special teamer to boot. He's got experience as a gunner, jammer (7 blocked kicks), and kick returner (98 yard TD last year), which really adds to his value. By drafting McCourty, you can take Felix off ST's, keep Ball at safety and replace Watkins with him on coverages. It's possible, but I seriously doubt Bryant, Iupati or Thomas makes it to our pick. McCourty might not make it to #27 either, but if he does then Jerry should pull the trigger and not reach for players who are 2nd round talent.

2. WR Damaryuis Thomas 6-3 224 Georgia Tech - Probably way too low for Thomas, but until he works out, this is where I'm going to put him. The fact, that he didn't play in any pro style or spread type offense could hurt his stock...but I doubt it. I think he's going to be a beast for any offense he goes to. He won't get past the 2nd round, as long as he puts up a decent workout IMO. If he can't plant and run on his foot before the draft, then he could slip behind more polished receivers to the late 2nd. I have no problem taking Thomas at #59... even without a workout.

3. OG John Jerry 6-6 328 Mississippi - Has a ton of experience starting 46 games with 25 coming at RG and 21 at RT. Last year he played 8 games at RT and switched to RG the last 4 games. At the combine, he matched Campbell in the shuttle (4.69) and broad jump (8'05") and ran faster (5.15) than Okung, Bulaga, Davis and Brown among others in the 40, even though he was heavier at 328lbs. He's also one of the strongest OL in this draft with 31 reps at his pro day. So, he can anchor against the pass and get downfield in the running game too. He's probably most comfortable and projects best at RG. Jerry has a nice combination of size, experience and quickness and is a solid late 3rd round pick IMO.

4. DE Clifton Geathers 6-8 299 South Carolina - Sometimes, when you see a player with loads of untapped potential, you just go with your gut and make sure nobody else grabs him. Geathers does have NFL bloodlines and is a massive DE for any tackle to handle. His long arms alone (37 3/4) should give OL nightmares. All he needs is a coach like Wade, to teach him better technique and to utilize his strengths. Just imagine Geathers and Ware coming at you from the right side. I think Geathers can be an eventual starter and twice as good as Chris. Canty. Add all that up and I'm pulling the trigger in the late 4th round.

6. FB John Conner 5-11 246 Kentucky - Simply the best lead blocking FB in the draft. Just as strong and a little faster, than Deon Anderson was coming out of college. Has 8 TD's to his credit with 4 running and 4 receiving. In 51 games, he's only carried the ball 54 times, but is able to get the 1st down with a 4.6 average. Hard nosed football player with plenty of experience at the FB position. Conner shouldn't have any trouble beating out Anderson in running drills, but he could be lagging in pass protection. A potential starter at FB and that pushes Conner up to a late 6th round pick.

7. FS Jeromy Miles 6-2 210 Massachusetts - Good sized FS prospect with plenty of experience and a team captain along with Ducasse. Transfered from the Navy as a sophomore in 2007. Has started 47 straight games with 294 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 7 FF, 5 FR, 9 INT's, 1 TD and 23 PD. Was not invited to the combine, but ran a 4.45 and 4.46 at his pro day with 13 reps. What I like most about Miles is that he's durable, has good speed, is a ballhawk type and just makes plays. Plus, I can already picture Jeromy Miles and Miles Austin standing side by side...just like Owens did with Jeff Terrell. ;)
  2. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,250 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    you need to redo it after todays cuts.there is little chance of it happening this way.
  3. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I like my "mock" the way it is thank you and I'll be doing more so don't worry.
  4. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  5. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,959 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I could still see them going w/ Mccourty.

Golden Tate is probably more likely to fall than Thomas. Tate just doesnt have a WR body and isnt beloved around the league.

Im sick of John Conner
  6. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I don't like Tate either.

I actually like Thomas even more than McCourty, but I can't justify him at #27 without even a workout. Conner and Miles could be switched in terms of talent, but I just thought Miles was more under the radar.
  7. MarionBarberThe4th

11,959 Messages
    132 Likes Received

:confused: You dont like all the plays Tate makes?
  8. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    He's simply not a deep threat like a DeSean Jackson at the next level or obviously big enough to be a possession receiver either. He'll get re-directed at the LOS and will have a hard time getting separation. He doesn't have that short area burst, like say a Terry Glenn and is known to drop the easy catch. He's used to going deep, but that won't be the case in the pros. He'll probably be asked to play the slot and when he goes over the middle or slant he'll get clocked by a LB to his surprise.

JMO
  9. MarionBarberThe4th

11,959 Messages
    132 Likes Received

I just think hes proven too many times hes a playmaker. At some point great open field running is what it is.

I see him as a cross between Hines Ward and Steve Smith. Not quite the elite speed Steve Smith had, but more athletic than Ward.
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    I really don't think all that much changes with the cuts. In my mocks, I have us taking at least two linemen and that's still the case. If Free is now the starting LT, then nothing changes. Don't forget we're bringing Brewster in basically as a rookie.

I think we still target the same players, unless someone lands in our lap. Which is why I don't see us suddenly deciding to trade down to have two second round picks so we can select a LT and a FS just because we cut one of each.

This mock seems as viable as any other to me.
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,574 Messages
    2,950 Likes Received
    I like this mock.

I think the opposite too - I think most of Tate's value is in a vertical threat and he isn't much better at anything else.
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Tate won't be a vertical threat in the NFL. He doesn't have the speed to stretch Ds and isn't much of a leaper.

BTW Silverstar, I really like your mock.
  13. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    4.42. Watch his highlight tape.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    He's got enough speed and goes up for the rock, don't know which Golden Tate you've been watching, homie.

I think he's got all the tools. Whether it translates is anyones guess. I don't know what there is to dislike about Tate other than the school he went to.
  15. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    I see Tate becoming another Lee Evans kind of receiver than a Hines Ward. Who really knows for sure how a receiver will perform at the next level though.
  16. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received

Thanks
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received

Why Lee Evans? Curious.

Evans isn't even that bad, and that's on the Bills.
  18. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,968 Messages
    24 Likes Received

I was just trying to compare Tate with another WR in the NFL with similar size and speed, but you're right I was being too generous. Evans is taller (5107 ) and was faster (4.39) coming out of college.

Golden Tate - 5102, 199, 4.42, 35 VJ, 10' BJ, 4.34 S, 7.15 C
    26 TD's and 2,707 yards over 3 seasons.

So who does Tate really compare to coming out of college? I think the best comparison is Mark Clayton currently of the Ravens.

Mark Clayton - 5103, 193, 4.41, 36 1/2 VJ, 9'10" BJ, 4.07 S, 6.95 C
    31 TD's and 3,241 yards over 4 seasons.

Clayton was ranked as the 5th WR by NFLDS coming out of Oklahoma in 2005. He was taken by the Ravens with the 22nd overall pick, but in the past 5 years has only caught 12 TD's. As you can see, Clayton and Tate are very similar in size, straight line speed and hops. However, Clayton was still quicker in his short routes and cuts, judging by his shuttle and cone numbers.
    I'm not suggesting Tate will only catch 12 TD's in the next 5 years...I'm sure he can do better. However, Clayton did come out of Oklahoma with some lofty numbers and hasn't lived up to his college hype. Actually, you could say he's a bust at this point.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    The logic behind your comparisons is baffling. Especially since Tate hasn't played an NFL down yet.
  20. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I like the draft, but I'd like to see us pick up an ILB as well.

Someone who we can groom over the next year or so.