1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3-4 DE with top 10 pick? a waste?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Nov 30, 2010.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

8,862 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Is it just me or does it seem darn near useless to draft a 3-4 DE with a top 10 pick? The strength of the draft seems to be on defensive linemen..

I could very well be wrong, but it seems like drafting a 3-4 DE with a top 10 pick is incredibly worthless..am I wrong here?

3-4 DE just do not seem like game changers to me..a late first to fill a need? sure..but not with a top 10 pick..

I am just sitting here trying to get an early gauge on what to expect come April (I know it is super early, I am just bored) but it does not look very promising right now to me...

The reason why I ask, is because I really, really like Nick Fairley..I am not even sure if he is a fit as a 3-4 DE...but even if he was, it seems like we would be wasting his talents away by playing him there..
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,141 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    if we can get a dominate DE or Dt like Ngata if its in the top 5-10 ill take it and run. The game is won in the trenches. Good offensive line defensive line's can take you places. Bad lines kill or cannot stop drives.

but as of right now if one of the 2 top corners is there we would have to look at that or how about another dominate DE like ware in Quinn. but that can be risky look at golston for the jets.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

8,862 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I agree that games are won in the trenches...and we need some new DE's..however, outside of like Seymour, I dont know very many 3-4 DEs who can take over games
  4. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Since we don't run a 2 gap 3-4, but a one gap penetrating 3-4, Nick could be used as a NT rotating with Raitliff.

David.
  5. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    just draft this guy

Anthony Gray, NT, Southern Miss
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 314.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.22.
    Projected Round (2011): 5-7.
    5/8/10: A solid nose tackle who earned an All-Conference USA honorable mention, Anthony Gray had 7.5 TFL and two sacks in 2009.
  6. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Like any other prospect, it depends...if the guy is worth the pick and you have a need, why would it be a bad idea?

You telling me if another DeMarcus Ware or Lawrence Taylor is sitting there, its a bad idea to take them?
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think a guy like Nick Fairely fits in as a 3-4 DE perfectly.
  8. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,141 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    yes people act like its a sin to have a DE that can rush the passer also in the 3-4. But i think in order for us to do that we need a big fat SOB NT. Imagine ware ROLB--ratliffDE---(big nosetackle or brent)NT--nick fairleyDE or Marcell DareusDE--spencerLOLB or butlerLOLB. and then i guess sean lee and bradie james at the ILB positions.
  9. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,084 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be mad. Gotta see what happens with the coaching staff though.
  10. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,680 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    If you could add another disruptive Jay Ratliff type player, then I think it would be worth spending a top 10 pick on 3-4 DE.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

8,862 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    obviously, if you were to tell me that we would be getting a force at DE I would have no issues taking any player...what I am suggesting / asking..is whether or not playing a guy like Fairley as a 3-4 DE would be wasting his abilities..generally, 3-4 DEs are just not disruptive players...they are more of a role player
  12. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,577 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Ware and Taylor played OLB, not DE. OLB are asked to rush the QB and be disruptive in a 3-4, so you snatch them in a heartbeat.

DE's in a 3-4 set are generally asked to occupy two gaps instead of getting into the backfield and being disruptive. Wade Phillips coached more of a one-gap scheme, but with him gone, is the team sticking to that? Pasqualoni coached defense under Parcells.

I think I understand the original question. Is it worth drafting a DE high in the first round if your scheme just asks him to occupy space? My answer is probably a little different than most. I don't believe in drafting players to fit a scheme. I believe in drafting the best players on the board and tailoring my scheme to the strengths of my team's talent. If Fairly is at the top of my board when I'm up, I select him and let him be his disruptive self.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the older Ratliff gets, the more open he'll be to a position change to DE.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,527 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    I think 9 times out of 10, it will indeed be a waste to take a 3-4 DE that high.

I really, really would have loved for us to have snagged a space eater NT. I may even have rolled the dice on Terrance Cody last year.