1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3-4 in the draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ringmaster, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,714 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    We all know Rob Ryan is now the defensive coordinator and he will bring his 3-4 defense and the NT is one of the key ingredients no disrespect to Ratliff, who I think is great in this scheme but at 306lbs while he's quick at getting to the QB when healthy from the nose he can be had in some cases on running plays the first Philly game comes to mind for me with the way they blocked him.

We know Ryan will want a massive NT what do you guys think of Phil Taylor from Baylor?

He's 6-4 340lbs and is the prototypical NT for a 3-4 scheme.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think everybody is pretty much on board with Taylor if we can get him in the right spot in the draft.
  3. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,714 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I was just throwing his name out there and haven't watched Baylor play that much.

Have you seen him play any and if so what type of player is he?
  4. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't know a whole lot about him, but they say he is like an unmovable mountain. He was at Penn St, but they kicked him off the team. Didn't see why though. Penn St is Ivy League, so academics might have had something to do with it.
  5. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,714 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    You're right about Penn St being so high on academics but Taylor would be a perfect fit though for a Rob Ryan defense.

I'm wondering where exactly do they have him projected in the draft.
  6. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think most people were mocking him around the 4th round? I can't remember. You can check the Draft forum.
  7. ringmaster

ringmaster Active Member

1,714 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Ok will do that.
  8. TrueBeliever007

TrueBeliever007 Member

224 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Penn states very good but not ivy league or else they wouldnt be in the big ten. That U penn thats ivy league. Ur right maybe it is academics.
  9. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ahh yes, U Penn.
  10. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Phil Taylor is probably a early 2nd round pick.
  11. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'll give you my definition of a prototypical NT considering how critical the position is...........

I want someone strong and quick with some size, perhaps 300lbs plus. But not so big as to limit his quickness and ability to generate a pass rush up the middle.

He also needs to have something of a track record. 4-5 years playing at a high level, but not too old. Maybe 28.

And considering how critical production at NT is, I want someone with some recent skins on the wall......Maybe three ProBowls and at least one All-Pro nomination the past three seasons.

Ya that sounds prototypical to me. Now we just have to go find him.
  12. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Jay Ratliff isn't a "prototypical" NT, however which way you look at it.
  13. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No he isn't. Your prototypical NFL NT hasn't earned 3 Pro Bowl and 1 All-Pro invitation in the past 3 years.

He's better!
  14. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

Accolades are great. But that won't change the fact that Ratliff isn't your prototypical NT. You must be blind not to see that.
  15. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,098 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I don't think it would be wise to continue playing Ratliff full-time at NT as he enters his 30s. The toll is too physically demanding over the course of a game every week for a guy who is only weighs 300 and for a guy who has been doing it for 4 years.

His high motor was a big reason why he has been a force in the middle at NT, despite his size. As he gets older, that motor will continue to decrease. Even this season, we saw him get more rest than in past seasons when Brent went in the game and it was still a down year for Ratliff.
  16. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Prototypical 3-4 NT's like Wilfork, Raji, Hampton, Jamal were much, much better than Taylor in college.
  17. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not nearly as blind as you are to not see how great a NT he is.

But since he's not carrying an extra 20lbs, lets replace hm with an inferior player.
  18. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: you're clueless.

Where the **** did I say he's not a great NT? I said he's not a PROTOTYPICAL NT. There is a difference. Learn it.

The funny thing is you stated the exact reason as to why he's not and still try and argue the fact that he is. :laugh2:

A 300 pound NT isn't a "prototypical". Learn football.
  19. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

No you're the idiot and perhaps you should learn to read. You claim the guys great yet go on and on about him not being prototypical.

I know what you little brains are getting at with your stupid "prototypical" comments.

I know the average weight of a 3-4 NT in todays game is about 325lbs.

Talent is talent and high performance is high performance.

JAY RATLIFF IS AN ALL-PRO NT! He does not need to be replaced. No resources should wasted trying to replace him.

We have perhaps 4-6 sub par starters on this football team and I see thread after thread about how we need to replace our All-Pro NT with a 330lb NT.
  20. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You're the idiot here pal, sorry. You admit a "prototypical" NT is 325, yet you go on and say Ratliff is the ideal NT?

The whole argument was because you claimed Ratliff was a prototypical NT. I said he was not. You just admitted he was not. I win.

Now ****.