1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3 Rules changes I would like to see in the NFL

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Biggems, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,539 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    1. Use Playoff overtime scoring rule during the Regular Season.

2. Increase the roster size from 53 to 60. Make at least 55 players active for the game day roster.

3. Make all FGs that are 60+ yds worth 4 points
  2. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,914 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    4. PI should be challengeable
    5. Remove excessive celebration penalty to be more strictly defined (i.e. ref has asked you to stop but you keep on celebrating).
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Enforce and adopt the rulebook from the 80's and bring football back.
  4. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,164 Messages
    813 Likes Received

Pass interference calls should obviously be reviewable. It can result in 50 yards or more worth of field position-- that might as well be a turnover (which is always reviewable)
  5. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

4,967 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I like #2 at least....
  6. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,593 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I think defensive players and wideouts celebrating a takle or catch of insignificance ought, as in not a change of downs, ought to be penalized for showboating.

Drives me crazy, you make 50k to a million a game, it's your job, don't act like JV players, in fact i think JV players do get penalized for that behavior.
  7. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,580 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    This is the only rule change mentioned in this thread that would even matter to me. Sure its said in jest, but seriously.. bring back football. Who the hell even cares about the overtime rules, celebration rules, etc..?

Fix the big problem first.. or just go ahead and slap the flags on the players already and call it the Mickey Mouse Football League.
  8. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,249 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    boom! this

take the flags off the QBs and WRs revise the horse collar to the intent of the rule which is dragging a player down falling on his legs, move the kick offs to where it should be wedge blocking.

instruct the refs to call it a TD if it is close because it is dumb to have to use a challenge when you scored but didn't call it right and not have to challenge it when you didn't score.
  9. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,561 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    This was a rule that never needed to be changed in the first place, especially now that they moved the kickoff back up to the 35 yard line. Teams winning the coin toss in overtime actually lost more often than won this past year.
  10. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,591 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    I like it .....
  11. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,411 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  12. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The old rules brought a better game, but they can't be restored due to health/legal concerns.

Goodell and the NFL are so focused on eliminating certain forms of contact that they've lost sight of the overall balance of the game.

If you disallow certain forms of contact, you are obliged to identify other less dangerous forms of contact that could be allowed. .... to restore some balance.

Otherwise you end up with an arena league / flag football version of the game.
  13. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

3,990 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    I would bring back the other part of the good old days that hasn't been mentioned. Stop handcuffing defenders. I know it will never happen but as it stands now you just don't get to see dominating defenses and, relatedly, true shutdown CBs. Take away the ticky tack stuff and allow contact within, say, eight yards of the LOS.
  14. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

2,801 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    1. Make the salary cap 20 million. This way families can go see games. Sorry, but athletes salaries haven't gotten out of control.

2. Make players hand the ball to the ref. Helps get rid of some of those stupid celebrations.

3. Offensive pass interference is marked off just like defensive. I think it will lead to the ref.'s calling less on both sides of the ball.
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    There should be two degrees of pass intereference penalties. A "major" penalty which gets called at the spot of the foul, and a "minor" penalty that's 15 yards. If a beaten defender drags down a receiver to prevent an easy TD, that's a major. If he just merely hooks him with a backside arm as he's attempting to bat the ball away, that's a 15 yarder.

For all the making fun of soccer for their flops trying to draw penalties, NFL WRs aren't much better.
  16. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't understand the infatuation over the playoff OT rules, they are only SLIGHTY better than the regular season rules. A TD still wins the game with no opportunity to counter and a coin flip can essentially decide a game.

College OT rules are MUCH better.
  17. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Absolutely. In fact, I'd take it a step further and allow contact anywhere on the field so long as the ball is not in the air and the contact is in front of the defender (college rules).

This kind of rule change would not jeopardize player safety, but it would increase the physicality of the game. It'd be a major improvement to today's game.
  18. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,561 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    No game in the history of the NFL has ever been decided by a coin flip.
  19. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,561 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    The one has nothing to do with the other. Your suggestion could never happen but even if it could and the salary cap was lowered by $100 million per team, as long as football remained as popular as it is and there was the same demand for tickets, then the ticket prices would stay roughly the same.
  20. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,561 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    This would cause endless headaches because you'd have that inevitable game-changing play where the ref called it a "minor" pass interference when everyone n the world is arguing how it should have been "major."