1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3 TE's for Cowboys

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chuck 54, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,444 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I know Phillips is a popular guy with some fans because he caught a few passes two seasons ago when no one was paying attention to him, but he acn't block worth a damn and proved he wasn't very good in H-back roll either which is why we have finally gone back to the FB.

Hannah is going to be a better receiving TE with deep threat and speed. I'd love to see us find a true blocking TE among the undrafted or released FA's and let Phillips take a walk. I don't like the idea of Witten being our best and only blocking TE.
  2. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,772 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Phillips was fantastic his rookie year and then tore his ACL in the hall of fame game. He I'll be our #2 this year and will be back to rookie form.
  3. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I'd keep the 3 TEs we have now. I agree that Hanna will over take Phillips sooner than most think, but I like the depth we have.
  4. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think OP underestimated what Phillips looked like his Rookie season. He needs to work on strength and blocking but should be over the knee injury this season. He seemed to have a great attitude and good smarts and will hopefully bounce back.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    My memory may be failing me, but all I remember from 2009 are him catching some balls out of the back field. Now in the 2010 preseason, he was catching passes from the TE position, not as a H-Back or full back, but that was preseason.

If I'm correct then Hanna could quite possibly beat him out early on.
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There should be some nice options at blocking TE looking for work after the draft...

Garrett Celek, Michigan State
    Brad Herman, Iowa
    Chase Ford, Miami

The Boys will want at least 4 TEs to start camp, I say bring in one of these... Herman is my favorite of the 3...
  7. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    I'd bring in the young swing tackle for a good number of snaps per game as the 3rd TE in blocking situations.

Give him game expeirience, supposed to have great feet, who knows maybe can catch it enough to be a threat on a goal line sit.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Interesting thought, especially since Parnell does have a basketball background.
  9. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,444 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I don't remember ever being fantastic, certainly not as a blocker...how long does he get to become a blocker?
  10. LOBO7

LOBO7 Active Member

330 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    If Hanna works his rear off he could be a weapon. He could help us. As the fourth or fith option he will probably have the slowest lb on the field covering him.