1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3 tight-end set

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rash, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

967 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Exactly,, its only taken how many decades to establish the level of team chemistry that is now on this roster, so yea, lets blow all that up with a Hernandez bomb.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,995 Messages
    1,877 Likes Received
    Giant Face-Palm for anyone even remotely suggesting the Cowboys consider the former NE TE who's now in jail.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Took the words out of my mouth. Why would you bench WR's to play TE's? I'd rather have Dez, Miles, Harris and Witten on the field than Dez, Witten, Escobar and Hanna.

The Hernandez thing I'm just going to ignore.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

34,984 Messages
    2,560 Likes Received
    Those big fast receivers create problems for the LBs and DBs that benefits other players as well. They also cause the defense to balance the run against the pass and that can mean bigger and slower LBs who have to cover as well as better run blocking. So you can change the D and create more favorable matchups.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,462 Messages
    1,963 Likes Received
    You mean you believe in putting your best players on the field more than in magical revolutionary formations? Blasphemy.
  6. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,153 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Dude, April 1st was almost 3 months ago...
  7. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,871 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    No death penalty in MA, unless its a federal case.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    I'm also very intrigued by the prospects of the 13 package, and with the troubles we have had in short yardage situations it could really give us a boost come gameday. Should be interesting to see what these guys can become, cause Romo has shown to play better with more weapons.

With the obvious hit the Pats took in their TE options, I'm really looking for our TEs to be the tops in the league as a TE unit.....and yep, I have those kinda expectations for them over the next few years, just not right away. I'm very happy we looked for weapons in the TE position and not just blockers, and very excited to see what they will bring to the table.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,995 Messages
    1,877 Likes Received
    I agree with that. One reason to take most of the WR's off the field is to improve the blocking without totally selling out on the run.
  10. Pokes12

Pokes12 Active Member

442 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    You can sign him but he will be playing for the penitentiary team for the foreseeable future. Don't you have a lick of sense. He is accused of an execution style murder and you want to sign him to play football for your team! Any concerns at all about his character? Or is that of no concern when it comes to stocking your team.
  11. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    "You play to win the game." If the guy somehow gets out of this imbroglio, you go out and get him!
  12. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,639 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Hernandez isn't going to help anybody this year win anything, not even his lawyer.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,797 Messages
    1,600 Likes Received
    Why don't we start with making the most of the 2-TE formations first?

Nevermind the idea that 3 TEs and a RB would pull Austin or Dez off the field. No doubt DCs around the league would be ecstatic to see one of those guys come off the field so a 3rd TE could come in and block.
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,797 Messages
    1,600 Likes Received
    What game?

He who has the most TEs on their roster?

Hernandez almost certainly won't get off. I'm not even sure why you'd ask. Have you been keeping up with the story?
  15. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If you're playing the 13 package you could still have Dez in the game. The issue is that you force the defense to take DBs out and put in more size. You can then use that against them by spreading the field out and taking guys out of the box. Finally you can have the best of both worlds now. You can try to run with less guys in the box or you can try to pass with mismatches of your TEs against LBs.
    Remember that we are talking about short-yardage. A defense that can't sell out against the run is much less aggressive in their assignments and should give us more opportunity to run inside with all the help they will want to give to the perimeter for their LBs. Now we have 3 receiving targets out with Dez on one side and maybe Hanna + Escobar on the other. That should probably draw 5 guys out of the box. That'll leave 6 of their guys against 6 of our guys with lots more room on the inside to run.

Now if the defense wants to stay in base defense you can keep your TEs inline and maybe even run some form of unbalanced line. You should be able to line up 8 guys on the line against their front 7. They'll need to take 2 guys out to deal with Dez at the very least and they'll probably want a couple of guys to key in on the TEs a bit instead of charging to the LOS to stuff the RB.

I definitely believe we can run a very unique variant of this offense with the myriad of threats we have at TE. No one in the league is used to dealing with this group as a passing formation since no one usually has 3 good receiving TEs. Not everyone has a TE that can run 4.4x. Not everyone has two 6-6 TEs with great hands who weigh 260 pounds. Not everyone has an elite WR who you will absolutely not allow to go 1-on-1 with your CB.
  16. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    The 13 wouldn't be the base offense.

Rather it'd be another package of players to force other DCs to adjust to. The more things that we can do with our players to set up mismatches the easier it will be for us to score points and win games. We make them play us in standard offense which is 12 personnel. We give them some heavy doses of 11 with our 3 vertical threats.

The other thing to consider is that not every team will be able to handle each package equally. If they are short on CBs we can play more 11 personnel. If they are short on coverage LBs we can play more 12 and 13 packages.
  17. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    IF Hernandez is not guilty

THEN a team interested in winning games/improving their team should sign him.
  18. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    What does the legal assignment of guilt have to do with anything here?

This guy definitely has a gangbanger mentality and puts himself and his "rep" or street "cred" above all else. He has got a 10 cent head off of the football field and there is zero reason to accept such a human being onto the Dallas Cowboys. I'm okay with guys who have hard lives and want to turn things around - this guy has a bad attitude (see the leaked information about his behaviour in the Patriots lockerroom) and will probably do something stupid and illegal again. We will then be short of a key cog that we had become reliant upon.

There is no justification for bringing this guy onto this team. He isn't worth the risk.