1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

30 Years Ago Today, ESPN's Favorite Highlight

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,424 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    30 years ago today, Joe Montana rolled right, tried to throw the ball away, and Dwight Clark jumped high to make what has ever since been dubbed, "The Catch."
  2. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I don't know what I hate more, that play or the having to see the picture in your sig and being reminded of the season that wasn't.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,424 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    I get to change my sig on Sunday.
  4. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,367 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    my most hated NFL replay of all time (Jackie Smith drop a close 2nd)
  5. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Active Member

1,901 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'd say it was one of the more momentous plays in NFL history. In some ways, it marked the ascendency of a new dynasty while signalling the decline of another. The Cowboys went on to play the 'Skins the following year in the NFC championship but, generally speaking, began a bit of a downward spiral, failing to maintain the level of dominance in the ensuing years that the team had achieved during the '70s. We all know what the 'Niners went on to do in the '80s.

What often gets forgotten is that we still had a chance to win it. In fact, we were driving for the winning field until Hacksaw Reynolds put his helmet in Danny White's gut, forcing a fumble and effectively ending the ball game.
  6. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    First game I ever watched. The day I became a Cowboys fan.
  7. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    49er fans still claim it was a designed play :rolleyes:
  8. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

13,716 Messages
    699 Likes Received
    Don't forget that Drew Pearson almost took it to the house if not for a one-handed jersey grab/tackle. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago. Thank God for the 90s. We got our revenge. To me, Alvin Harper for 80 yards (or whatever it was) will always be known as The Play.
  9. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,209 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Well thanks for spoiling my morning coffee. :mad:
  10. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I turn away every time I see it start to play.
  11. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,985 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    I can't bring myself to watch espn. It's like a poorly scripted reality show with the cast of Gilligans Island.
  12. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,318 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    I can't relate because I wasn't alive when it happened, but anytime they'd show it on TV my Dad always had to change it and tell me how lucky I was to be born right into the 90's era.
  13. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,802 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    I was 10 years old and didn't talk to anyone for a week after that play. I also remember how we almost scored after that.
  14. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

700 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    I want to gouge my own eyes out every time I see that. :blind:
  15. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,402 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Whether Montana was throwing the ball away or not he put it where only Clark could make a play on it. Everything started going against the Cowboys after that. They get the ball back and White hits Drew Pearson who had a step on Eric Wright at mid field and somehow Wright was able to grab him from what appeared to be inside his jersey between his neck and shoulder pads saving what would have been a TD with little time left. Today that would have been a 15 yard horse collar that would have put the ball at around the 49ers 30 yardline.

White then fumbles a play or 2 later and game over. That may have been the most painful Cowboys loss ever for me because I thought for sure they would win. The Cowboys were favored and you could hardly find anyone who didn't think they would win that game. Under White the Cowboys reverted back to the funk they were in prior to the Staubach era unable to win big games.
  16. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know who started that myth, other than jealous, petty Dallas fans. After the game, Walsh and Montana noted that they practiced that play (Red Right Tight - Sprint Right Option) often. It was elevated more than normal because Montana had to get the ball over the outstretched arms of Too Tall and Bethea.

[youtube]3rB0msgua2U[/youtube]
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Someone should stab you in the eye for posting that. :yousuck:
  18. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,402 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    I heard years ago that Montana made a comment to someone it may have been a former Cowboy player that he was throwing the ball away but in every interview I've seen with him discussing the play he said he wasn't throwing the ball away. His legacy was built on making the clutch play he did it over and over again throughout his career. He made sure Clark was the only one who had a chance to come down with that ball. Montana knew Clark could climb the ladder by practicing that play and if he couldn't make the play the 49ers lived to see another down.

That was a classic horse collar tackle Wright made on Pearson but perfectly legal back then. A 15 yard penalty would have put the ball at the SF 29 yardline which would have had the Cowboys in Septien's range. All these years later it still hurts watching those final moments.
  19. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

4,658 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Two things from that last play:
    1. The Cowboys Petersen absolutely got steam-rolled by the 49ers #65
    2. Danny would not have fumbled today because of the "Tuck" rule

I would have loved to have seen Septien have a shot at winning that game:mad:
  20. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the announcer was wrong about Drew going all the way. Dwight Hicks (#22) looked to be in position to stop him.