1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3rd Parties

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rackat, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Are there any viable 3rd Parties that you are aware of? The only one I know of is the Libertarian Party.
  2. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,635 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    if by viable you mean a chance to win - then no

If by viable you mean they will gain ballot access - then you have the libertarian, the constitution, and the green - all getting access in most of the 50 states. I don't believe the reform party is able to accomplish this any longer.
  3. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pat Buchanon killed the Reform Party. :banghead:
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,878 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    We have a 2 party system.

Everyone else is just hoping(mostly in vain) to get a message out.

Its not right but it is the way it is.
  5. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    From the Libertarian website:

What is a Libertarian?

Let's start with Webster's definition:

Libertarian: A person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action. Capitalized: a member of a political party advocating libertarian principles.

Libertarians believe in, and pursue, personal freedom while maintaining personal responsibility. The Libertarian Party itself serves a much larger pro-liberty community with the specific mission of electing Libertarians to public office.

Libertarians strongly oppose any government interfering in their personal, family and business decisions. Essentially, we believe all Americans should be free to live their lives and pursue their interests as they see fit as long as they do no harm to another.

In a nutshell, we are advocates for a smaller government, lower taxes and more freedom.

Are Libertarians liberal or conservative?

Libertarians are neither. Unlike liberals or conservatives, Libertarians advocate a high degree of both personal and economic liberty. For example, Libertarians advocate freedom in economic matters, so we're in favor of lowering taxes, slashing bureaucratic regulation of business, and charitable -- rather than government -- welfare. But Libertarians are also socially tolerant. We won't demand laws or restrictions on other people who we may not agree because of personal actions or lifestyles.

Think of us as a group of people with a "live and let live" mentality and a balanced checkbook.

In a sense, Libertarians “borrow” from both sides to come up with a logical and consistent whole -- but without the exceptions and broken promises of Republican and Democratic politicians. That's why we call ourselves the Party of Principle.

How large is the Libertarian Party?

In terms of political activity (i.e. number of candidates, access to the ballot, and elected office holders), the Libertarian Party is the third-largest political party in America. We’re active in all 50 states and have more than 200,000 registered voters.

What kind of offices do Libertarians run for and hold?

Around the nation there are Libertarian mayors, county executives, county council members and even a Libertarian sheriff! Libertarians also serve on school boards and in hundreds of local offices. In 2006 alone, over 13.4 million votes were cast for Libertarian candidates around the nation.

While we are most successful at the local level for now, we run candidates at all levels of government, even President of the United States.

Our elected Libertarians are hard at work saving you money and protecting your civil liberties. In fact, Libertarians saved Americans over $2.2 billion in 2004 alone.
  6. Eric_Boyer

4,635 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    How so?
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Green party is far more influential in the West -- Green's hold as a core value grassroots democracy so their influence is primarily at the lower levels of gov't. i don't belong to the party but where I live the Greens have a stronghold on most of the city seats and education boards
  8. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It was already dying. I don't think Buchanan getting their nomination had anything to do with their death. It had everything to do with the whims of Ross Perot.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I don't know much about it but the Party always struck me as more a cult of personality than a party in any meaningful organizational and ideological sense.
  10. AbeBeta

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    My most salient memory of Perot is when projections came in and he was clearly not winning the election in 1992. On various news programs they kept running an interview with some Perot supporter -- her quote "I don't believe those polls, everyone in my trailer park is voting for him, he's going to win." That seemed like a very sad media characterization of his base - perhaps it was accurate -- maybe not. But when I heard that I thought "this party is done, the stereotype is cast"
  11. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks to that jerk I couldn't play high school sports.
  12. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, of the 3rd parties, is there one that appeals to you? I am leaning towards the Libertarians. I did a little research on them and their views fall more in line with mine than the Dems or Republicans. Since I have always registered as an Independent, it would not be dificult for me to vote for a good Libertarian candidate.
  13. AbeBeta

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Libertarianism is a theory that is absolute crap in practice. This isn't a real party but a group that pushes an extreme and unrealistic POV. There is nothing wrong with that -- I feel strongly that if you want to get something done you have to push an extreme view to move people toward your ideas. But lets not kid ourselves and think that Libertarianism is ever going to be viable.
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,524 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Some interesting kernels from their platform:

Foreign Affairs:
    American foreign policy should seek an America at peace with the world and the defense -- against attack from abroad -- of the lives, liberty, and property of the American people on American soil. Provision of such defense must respect the individual rights of people everywhere.

The principle of non-intervention should guide relationships between governments. The United States government should return to the historic libertarian tradition of avoiding entangling alliances, abstaining totally from foreign quarrels and imperialist adventures, and recognizing the right to unrestricted trade, travel, and immigration.

Sexuality and Gender:
    The Issue: Politicians use popular fears and taboos to legally impose a particular code of moral and social values. Government regularly denies rights and privileges on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
    The Principle: Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships. Government does not have legitimate authority to define or license personal relationships. Sexuality or gender should have no impact on the rights of individuals.
    Solutions: Culture wars, social friction and prejudice will fade when marriage and other personal relationships are treated as private contracts, solely defined by the individuals involved, and government discrimination is not allowed.
    Transitional Action: Repeal the federal Defense of Marriage Act and state laws and amendments defining marriage. Oppose any new laws or Constitutional amendments defining terms for personal, private relationships. Repeal any state or federal law assigning special benefits to people based on marital status, family structure, sexual orientation or gender identification. Repeal any state or federal laws denying same-sex partners rights enjoyed by others, such as adoption of children and spousal immigration. End the Defense Department practice of discharging armed forces personnel for sexual orientation. Upgrade all less-than-honorable discharges previously assigned solely for such reasons to honorable status, and delete related information from military personnel files. Repeal all laws discriminating by gender, such as protective labor laws and marriage, divorce, and custody laws which deny the full rights of each individual.

Reproductive rights:
    The Issue: The tragedies caused by unplanned, unwanted pregnancies are aggravated and sometimes created by government policies of censorship, restriction, regulation and prohibition.
    Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on both sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.

The Principle: Individual rights should not be denied nor abridged on the basis of sex, age, dependency, or location. Taxpayers should not be forced to pay for other people's abortions, nor should any government or individual force a woman to have an abortion. It is the right and obligation of the pregnant woman regardless of age, not the state, to decide the desirability or appropriateness of prenatal testing, Caesarean births, fetal surgery, voluntary surrogacy arrangements and/or home births.
    Solutions: We oppose government actions that either compel or prohibit abortion, sterilization or any other form of birth control. Specifically we condemn the practice of forced sterilization of welfare recipients, or of mentally ******** or "genetically defective" individual. We support the voluntary exchange of goods, services or information regarding human sexuality, reproduction, birth control or related medical or biological technologies. We oppose government laws and policies that restrict the opportunity to choose alternatives to abortion.
    Transitional Action: We support an end to all subsidies for childbearing or child prevention built into our present laws.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,794 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Sounds good on first look. But then trying to make it work....
    Probably in the end it would go the same way communism did.
  16. Eric_Boyer

4,635 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    I agree with this. the term losertarian is fitting unfortunately.

Instead of creating a platform that is designed to defend individual freedom, while remaining electable, they decide they need a platform that is 100% in line with non-initiation of force - which makes them unelectable.

I am strongly libertarian leaning but lets get real. A community that can't create a form of government strong enough to prevent some guy from masterbating on the edge of his property while leering at my daughters is a government that won't last long.

If our government doesn't have enough teeth to give people what they want, the government will get overthown and replaced with one with more teeth.

Which is why I have never strayed too far from the conservative wing of the republican party.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,794 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Look at all the libs who basically want people to be able to do that any time anywhere. They keep saying there is nothing truly right or wrong, do not judge, etc. Where else does that lead except eventually to a society that is totally degraded and corrupt and very very dark. Some would say we are already there but it can get a whole lot worse if some have their way.
  18. AbeBeta

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Way to link this back to the liberals. Of course, it is pretty clear that the Libertarian ideal attracts extremists from both the left and the right. But don't let that get in the way of your rant.